PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ which lighting is good for me???

Kluver
05/14/2006, 11:30 PM
Hi,

I'm planning on getting either the 30" sunpod HQI or the 36" Coralife Aqualight HQI fixture. The problem I'm having is this:

I have a 30" long tank, so the sunpod would fit it nicely, but I am concern that it does not have PC lights with it. I'm planning on having some sps but not a whole bunch. However, the Aqualight is a bit longer for my tank (which I do not like as much) but has the PC so the actinics would be nice. Can I tell the differences if the PC are not there?
FYI, I know that current usa is better but I'm just asking a general question on if I can see the differences in tank growth and quality of PC actinics are not present.

Blown 346
05/14/2006, 11:45 PM
With PC's or not you will still have growth, that growth would be coming from te halides not Actinic light.
You can have just halides and no actinics and be fine.
Actinics are mainly for asthetic purposes.
You can get a higher kelvin halide like a 14 or 15K and not have to have actinic lighting at all.

mg426
05/14/2006, 11:54 PM
I agree.

Kluver
05/15/2006, 12:03 AM
Yeah, sorry I forgot to mentioned that I like the asthetic look as well. Will 14K give you the MH with actinics look?

Blown 346
05/15/2006, 12:34 AM
Yes they can, but that all depends on what type of manufacturer makes the halide bulb.
Some halides with the same Kelvin rating like 14 or 15K can be bluer than others.
Once you find themanufacturer you want to go with, you can decide what kelvin you want.
I have the Aqua cool halide bulbs thatare 14K and are perfect, they dont have any yellow tint to them but arent too blue.

Here is my tank with the 14 K bulbs.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/57307Full_90_pic.jpg