PDA

View Full Version : Terrible News

hcs3
05/14/2006, 08:32 PM
On Friday I confirmed what I feared the most. My most cherished asset will soon be leaving for the after life. It seems the man up stairs realized he created a cat that is far too perfect for this world.

Aztec was diagnosed with Feline Chronic Renal Failure. In laymans terms he has kidney failure. Currently he has less than 30% of his kidneys left as operational. This is a terminal disease with an estimated life expectancy of 1 month to 1 year remaining, depending on how his body fights the disease.

To say that I am devistated is more than accurate. The small amount of understanding I carry comes from knowing that Aztec will be the finest example of a cat heaven has ever seen, and there is no doubt in my mind that God simply wanted Aztec for himself.

For now Aztec appears happy and healthy despite losing 5lbs (25% body mass) in the last 4 weeks. He will not perish in pain from this disease, only I will. What I fear the most is that fateful day where I have to decide his time, our time, has come to an end. I pray I have the strength to make that decision when the time comes.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/35DSC_4194-med.JPG

lglamb
05/14/2006, 08:39 PM
So sorry, Henry.

Lowell

Audrey
05/14/2006, 09:15 PM
Very sorry to hear of your bad news. Cherish the remaining days.

Audrey

tcottle
05/14/2006, 09:24 PM
Sorry ...

pewter_jean
05/14/2006, 11:25 PM
My heart is with you. and you are in my prays. Though your love you will be able to do the right thing, when the time is right. And
Aztek will let you know when he/she is ready. God Bless both of you.:sad1:
BTW, Aztek, is a very,very beautiful cat.

w2
05/15/2006, 06:48 AM
Aw, man. Sorry to hear this, Henry. Our prayers.....

cwegescheide
05/15/2006, 07:10 AM
I'm sorry for your situation. That is definatley very tough.

I know a guy that lives in Muncie Indiana that is a TOTAL CAT LOVER. He has many cats and a couple of them have the same disease yours has. He performs Dialysis on a regular basis himself on the cats and they have been living a full and happy life for years. If you would like I could PM you his name and maybe you could look him up. He's a great guy and very knowledgable.

Chris

rick rottet
05/15/2006, 09:27 AM
my prayers are with you in your difficult time.
may you find peace in your understanding.

andycook
05/15/2006, 12:04 PM
He is a cool cat.

saltyseaman
05/15/2006, 12:26 PM
:(

drew22to375
05/15/2006, 12:36 PM
SO sorry Henry. That is a very hard decision you have to make. I understand what you are going thru. I had a wonderful Alaskan Malamute that was diagnosed with a immune system disorder a couple years ago. I think deciding when it is time for them is harder than if they passed during the night. Best wishes too you.

Drew..

RV8tor
05/15/2006, 05:03 PM
Tough news henry, I know what you are going through, I had to make that decision last december. Enjoy the time you have and had knowing you made Aztec life as enjoyable as he has made yours.

FloatingFish
05/15/2006, 05:21 PM
I am truly sorry Henry. It's a hard decision to make but you will know when it's time.

Charlie

Michelle L
05/15/2006, 09:18 PM
Henry, you brought back some tough memories for me. My old girl, Noel, died last fall of kidney failure. She was 16 years old and lived a long and happy life with me from the day I brought her home as a kitten. I read your post and broke down into tears here at my computer. I've had many cats in my time and when they go it's always hard, but she was particularly hard for me to let go.

She made the decision for me. She was at the vet's office and she seemed to be doing better, but at barely 4 pounds and 16 years of age, she was just too old and weak to go any longer. I was so glad that she didn't force me to make the choice...I just wished I could have seen her and held her one last time before she went.

So, cherish Aztec and love him every chance you get. I pray that he does well and survives many more months or years, and take advantage of what time he has with you while you still have it.

I'm sorry.