PDA

View Full Version : Next fish selection

ken123
05/13/2006, 12:22 PM
I just added 2 green chromis from QT to my tank. I started with 5, I think they picked on the others and killed them, very frustrating. I would like to have 5, so should I get more and hope for the best or should I try another schooling fish? I spoke to Austin at Trop, but don't remember what he told me. I would like to have a small school of 5 or so but hated seeing them die in QT.

revclyburn
05/13/2006, 05:57 PM
I had one that was the ring leader,

he picked on everything, and control the tank. I had 5 4 striped damsels. Once I removed him, things really quieted down and I don't have a bully problem anymore. Once in a while there is a little aggression, but not so much as before. So, find the main trouble make and banish him to someone elses tank, lol.

As for green chomis, never thought they we so aggressive, of all of them I thought they we the most passive, guess I was wrong. I would try and get some smaller ones, the smaller the better and see how things go.

RevClyburn

anabolic_1
05/13/2006, 08:38 PM
Theres another fish I never had any luck with, I buy 5, the next day there are 4, the next day 3......not quite sure why. If you are going to add more, I suggest they be a bit bigger than the ones already in the tank, that should keep the peace a bit. My rule of thumb is, I will try to keep a variety of fish twice and never try again.....my list is getting short! I bought an emperor angel years ago and it lived for about 3 hours! That one I didn't try a second time, LOL! (not that its funny) GL.
Mike.

ken123
05/14/2006, 10:15 AM
I put bot of them in the tank and 1 died overnight. So I went from 5 to 1. Think I will try 1 more time with chromis then that's it.

revclyburn
05/14/2006, 10:31 AM
I've had a hard time with Half Black pygmy angels. I once had one that lasted over a year. Every since then, every one that I've gotten has died with 2 months. I can't figure out why. They would eat at the LFS, but once I got them home, they wouldn't. Or, they just disappeared one day, for no reason and I never found them, lost in the sand bed somewhere. So, I just decided that I won't try any of them again.

edwin

ken123
05/14/2006, 09:33 PM
I only have a 10 gallon for QT. Wonder if I can buy like 4 or 5 more and somehow QT them separately, then combine them in the main tank one at a time.

Or maybe 2 at a time and put a divider in the QT tank, then add to the main tank. At least they would make it through QT. Then fight it out in the main tank. A 10 gal is just to small maybe for what I want to do.

Thinking out loud through email here. Just babbling!

revclyburn
05/14/2006, 10:02 PM
I've had mine in the main tank from the beginning, as they do need some space, most S/W fish do. I am thinking of trying to take 2 more of mine out of my tank. If I do, I will give them to you. I have 2 small ones I really want to keep. The larger ones are becoming a little aggressive for my Anthias, though it's not a lot, there's only one that is acting up. And they seem to be doing some crazy dance lately, Jerking up and down, I don't know what that means. But, they have to go at some point, as I am going to begin getting some Anthias and Angels and I don't want any problems with the damels and the other fish. My next 2 fish will be females for my pink Anthias.
Wonder if the LFS that everyone hates still have the other anthias, need to check it out on the way to work.

Edwin

JohnS_323
05/14/2006, 10:05 PM
The good thing about green chromis is they're cheap, so it's not that costly an experiment if you try it again.

I have 6 that have been living together for about 8 months now. I started with 1 when I began my tank. About 3 months later I added 2 more. Then about 7 months after that I added the other 3. When I got the last group, I ordered 6. Five showed up alive. One didn't look so good and died the next morning. The third, well, that one got sucked into the intake of the power head in QT. The remaining 3 QT'd well and have been doing well in the display tank for the past 8 months.

I know this is contrary to a lot of other people's results, but it's worked out well for us.

ken123
05/15/2006, 07:15 AM
Maybe I can try that. I can get another type of fish and 1 green chromis and keep them in QT. Slowly build the green chromis up in numbers as I add other fish. Seemed to work for you John. As long as the chromis ond other fish are not a problem in QT. Any thoughts on that?

MadTownMax
05/15/2006, 10:11 AM
I started with 10- lost about one per week until I got to 5 - then a month later and I'm down to 4 - they've been going strong for a few months now.

I don't know what the issue is - I was thinking about adding an automatic feeder to drop a very tiny amount of spray-dried cylclops-eeze or something similar if they needed more constant feeding - but they're chromis - one of the most common and supposedly hardy fish :rolleyes: if anyone finds out the secret to keeping a small school - let me know :D

bob124578
05/16/2006, 05:46 PM
I have always had success keep them in sets of 3's. I dont know why but its been my experience.