PDA

View Full Version : ECO Plus skimmers??

VisionQuest27
05/11/2006, 10:01 AM
Does anybody have any input or feedback on the ECO Plus skimmers? Here is a link.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ECO-Plus-6-Protein-skimmer-300-gallon-Reef-Aquarium_W0QQitemZ7766101710QQcategoryZ46313QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I tried hyperlinking it, didnt work...sorry. But anyway, i had been looking at getting an ASM skimmer, but these seem comparable in price and size to the ASM G3, only difference is the ECO Plus is already a recirc skimmer. Would only have to add a feed pump and mod it with a gate valve which shouldnt be hard. Anybody using one of these? I have no idea on the build quality or how the supplied pump works. I would really like a recirculating skimmer, without paying out the wazoo, or without having to drill holes to mod it....thats just a scary thought, dont trust myself enough to do that with a close to $300 skimmer. Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!

VisionQuest27
05/11/2006, 10:03 AM
oops, nevermind...i guess link did work

VisionQuest27
05/12/2006, 05:32 AM
bump

VisionQuest27
05/19/2006, 05:39 AM
So there seems to be absolutely no users of this skimmer or much info at all about them. I started a thread in the sunlight supply sponsers forum, asking Sam for somre real info. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=847321 He promised me a good response when he had the time. If the specs on this skimmer are good im more than likely gonna buy one...ill be the gineau pig i guess.

minireef30
05/19/2006, 05:45 PM
PM'd you back.

Deuce67
05/19/2006, 05:59 PM
Looks like a decent skimmer but, I dont understand why the pump is set so high up the reaction chamber. Doesnt seem like you will get a lot of contact time. Plus it may have too much turbelence at the top.

VisionQuest27
05/20/2006, 06:21 AM
Thnx for your input Deuce. I agree with what you said about the pump placement...its so hard to tell without actually seeing one of these in action though! I keep hoping that some users will pop up and see this thread. So this is the reply that Sam gave me in the Sunlight Supply forum.....

To answer some of your questions, both models use 1/4" acrylic, the collection cup simply lifts off from the riser tube/you need about 1" clearance, we don't manufacture this in house, but its made by a local shop in the NW. The 6" Model uses 35W and the 8" uses 70W

I have no idea what the LPH going through the pump is, nor do I know how to find out.. If you could tell me how, I'll find out for you.

So some info does exist! minireef30 has the 8" version of this skimmer and had a lot of good things to say about it. Im going to PM him again and see if i can get him to post his experiences here.

minireef30
05/20/2006, 09:32 AM
The 8" skimmer is what I have, and the pump is(I think) to high. But, all I had to do was add a little piece of PVC and Tee fittting to the output 90* and bam no more turbelence. Fills the chamber
nicely and the bubbles rise much slower.

minireef30
05/20/2006, 09:43 AM
Also it does need some changes:
1. Collection cup, the slip fit isn't the best design and does leak.
A union or twist lock would fix this.
2. Pumps venturi is very loud use the ER/ASM type on future
models.
3. Water exit control, no way to set water level(I used ER's
gatevalve) or control flow.

minireef30
05/20/2006, 10:01 AM
One more thing I had the ER 6-3 and this kills it. Also the collection cup doesn't leak skimmate just riser water. Had to clear that up. This skimmer is a better deal then the ASM. I'm sure the 6" will work very well also. I went with the 8" on my 120 becuase
it's a bare bottom and I wanted overkill. Like I said before $369 shipped for an 8" recirculating skimmer is hard to beat. I'll put some newer pictures in my gallery later.

Jayreefer
05/20/2006, 11:53 AM
Go with the pacific coast octopus skimmer from reeftanksupply. Just as cheap and no mods are needed to make it work great. Also, it doesn't leak!

VisionQuest27
05/21/2006, 08:03 AM
Thnx for sharing your input here minireef30. Now im starting to wonder if this is the skimmer for me...i was really looking for something that i wouldnt have to mod much. The biggest thing i dont like is the leaky collection cup because im planning on using this external. I had originally been thinking of an ASM G3 with a recirc mod, but the fact that it couldnt be used external stopped me from that.

Jayreefer...the octopus is certainly cheaper, but it isnt a recirculating skimmer and thats what im really looking for. I am considering the pacific coast imports rps-2000 though. Its a recirc skimmer, can be used externally, has a union for removing the collection cup, and the collection cup has a drain fitting. Looks like the only thing that might need changing would be that it had a ball valve instead of gate valve on the output. With all that it is only about $35 more including shipping than the ECO Plus 6" skimmer.

VisionQuest27
05/21/2006, 08:10 AM
But $300 plus for a skimmer is gonna hurt, ya know!? I dont want to by something cheap and not be happy with it and have to turn around and spend MORE $$$. But i also want to be able to eat! I dont know, maybe ill just go with the CSS 220 for half the price. I have the smallest version on my display tank at work and have been pretty happy with it. I dont know, we'll see...but i plan on having SOME skimmer purchased this week

BLockamon
05/21/2006, 01:51 PM
Vision, Pacific Coast does has a recirculating version of the Octopus. Look here: www.reeftanksupply.com.

The recirc. versions are nice. Great construction and good performance. What size tank are you considering?

BLockamon
05/21/2006, 01:53 PM
Should also note that the RPS-2000 is only $280 from reeftanksupply. Custom Aquatic will also price match, but I like giving the guy that actually HAS the low price the business. CA lists them much higher to get the suckers.

VisionQuest27
05/21/2006, 02:01 PM
Is there an actual octopus recirc model? I know the PCI RPS series is recirc, but didnt think the octopus, which is sold under coralvue's name btw, had one. Reeftank supply is where i was already looking, with shipping it was going to be just over $300. This, or what ever skimmer i go with, will be going on a 92g corner bowfront FOWLR with about 120lbs of liverock. I have had the tank up for about a month now with a crappy seaclone on it. I just unplugged it a couple of nights ago because i couldnt stand the micro bubbles it was producing.