PDA

View Full Version : lighting opinions?

Norm R
05/10/2006, 04:10 PM
I've narrowed my scope for lighting of my daughter's new tank and wonder what opinions may be out there. The tank is 30 x 30 x 22 high, 85 gallons.

* 250 watt DE lumenmax pendant
*IceCap or PFO electronic ballast
*Phoenix or 14k Ushio

I'll then supplement actinic w/ the Icecap 430-VHO I have and upgrade to T5 later (replace the VHO).

My questions...

1. Icecap vs. PFO electronic ballast

2. Phoenix vs. DE 14k Ushio (not sure anyone has used these)

Thanks much.

coralfarmer84
05/10/2006, 05:26 PM
I know nothing about the Ushio 14k bulbs but I have the Phoenix 14k in my aquamedic DE's and I don't think I'll ever go with another bulb ever..... but i don't have VHO supplementation.... I love the color of the corals, it really gives off a blue tint.

cward
05/10/2006, 08:24 PM
I really don't like the look of my Phoenix 14k's with my IC ballast, but I'm not using actinic supplementation. They seem to look better on Geo's tank with his additional actinic T5's.

seandanekind
05/10/2006, 08:51 PM
I have the HQI ballast for my Phoenix, but I've seen them on IceCaps. They don't look as good on e-ballasts - IMO.

Those bulbs really show well for about 8 months... then the 420nm spike dies out and they need replacing.

I still love 'em...

I haven't seen the ushio 14K yet, but I'd love to get a chance to see them in person.

cward
05/10/2006, 08:58 PM
Yes, they did look good on your tank too Sean.

TacoKing
05/10/2006, 09:23 PM
I can't wait.... After 15 months I'm finally replacing all 4 of my phoenix 14k bulbs. I've slacked a bit. :)

Norm, why so dead set on the electronic ballast? The M80 HQI does a heck of a job.

Treg
05/10/2006, 09:54 PM
I've used all the above. :)

My personal taste, Ushio 14k w/ Actinic. Bluewave ballast.

The Phoenix 14k/electronic ballast is really blue, more like a 20k. With Actinics (especially T5 Blue+) its Very blue. If I were to use the Phoenix again I would use 2 or more 50/50 fluorescent bulbs instead of pure Actinic. This bulb does pop colors a lot more than the Ushio but it makes the overall look of the tank a little washed out at the same time...

I like the looks of the white Ushio and it seems to give the tank a bit more detail over the Phoenix. It just doesnt "pop" the oranges and greens like Phoenix does.

Its just a matter of personal taste that you or her would need to decide....

I have a spare Phoenix on loan to Andy (icu2) right now, If you wanted to try them out I can get it back and get it down to ya sometime. I have an Ice Cap ballast you could borrow too, just need your own reflector...

shawnz28
05/10/2006, 11:27 PM
Ushio 14K are not very blue at all. I do like them alot and do run them though. They almost look like a 10K and one of the guys from Ushio even told me he thought they should have marketed them as a 10K+ not a 14.... if you look at the spectral charts they are very similar but I think the 14K has less red in it vs. the 10K.

the Phoenix is very blue... more so then just about any other 14K.. personally I think the Phoenix looks great or darn near perfect to my eye with no actinic... with Actinic it pushes being too blue for me.

Whichever you choose personally I say stick with a magnetic HQI ballast if you are going DE....... just my 2cents

Treg
05/10/2006, 11:59 PM
I agree shawn.

I emailed Sanjay back in December about the Ushio 14k plots and he didnt give me exact the #'s but he said, Quote: The Ushio 14k is VERY close to the BLV 10k.

Norm R
05/11/2006, 04:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7343422#post7343422 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TacoKing
Norm, why so dead set on the electronic ballast? The M80 HQI does a heck of a job.

Taco - Primarily space and heat.

This is great feedback guys, thanks. It gives me a lot to ponder. Other opinions certainly welcome...

Norm R
05/11/2006, 06:55 AM
I'd love to go the HQI/Phoenix route but just don't have the space for the ballast and am concerned about heat since this is a smaller tank and no capacity for a chiller. Has anyone used the PFO electronic ballast? I've had great success w/ my standard PFO ballasts over the years...

coralfarmer84 - what kind of a ballast are you running?

Treg - have you run the Ushio 14k on an electronic ballast? Does your Bluewave put off much heat? How about growth w/ the Ushio? Thanks for the offer on the loan, I'll likely just do a little more research and choose a direction. I'm passing by PA this weekend and hope to pick up some of this stuff if I have the space.

The comments about the Phoenix/electronic ballast combo aren't overly encouraging. I guess I'm leaning towards the Ushio 14k on either the Icecap or PFO electronic ballast (wish HQI was smaller/cooler). I'll then supplement w/ actinic blue. Anyone think I'm making a mistake (considering my space and heat constraints)?

Thanks again guys.

Treg
05/11/2006, 10:33 AM
Dont get me wrong, the Phoenix isnt a bad bulb at ALL. Its just a Blue bulb, not a true 14k. If you were interested in running it un supplemented, it would be very nice stand alone. Especially on HQI.

I have run the Ushio both ways. Ice Cap and HQI. Not a real noticable diff to the eye. Sanjay's reports are a higher CCT on HQI, Otherwise I dont notice much diff with the bare eye.

Looks like I might make it home this weekend. Lots O rain up here in the Detroit area. I'll see if I can get some pics comparing the two.

Norm R
05/11/2006, 11:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7346089#post7346089 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Treg
Dont get me wrong, the Phoenix isnt a bad bulb at ALL. Its just a Blue bulb, not a true 14k.

Yep, I'm with ya. This was my first choice but it's the overly blue part on the electronic ballast that concerns me. I guess I should ask my daughter what her preference is. :)

shawnz28
05/11/2006, 11:22 AM
Dont get me wrong, the Phoenix isnt a bad bulb at ALL. Its just a Blue bulb, not a true 14k.

then again if I recall I have read before pretty much all 14K bulbs are truely way over 14K on a graph and 20K's are "off the chart" so to speak. Cant remember where I read that

Norm R
05/16/2006, 05:13 PM
Well, AO contacted me and the tank is ready. I need to make some final decisions on lighting. Any last minute advice?

jakano
05/16/2006, 09:58 PM
hey norm have you given any thought to a t-5 only light setup. i am really thinking hard about switching my halides to an aquamedic 8x54 pendant. i will solve all of my heat issues with this switch. if you doubt the power of t-5's look at danano's t-5 only sps setup. if you get one of those pendants eveything is in one unit so no seperate ballast or anything. saltycritter has a large selection of these at a good price.

Treg
05/16/2006, 10:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7379104#post7379104 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Norm R
Any last minute advice?

Yep, Cook your LR right in the tank. That'll but you another 4-6 weeks before you have to decide. :D

I would wait just a little longer on any T5 bulb purchases until the URL T5's are out for reviews. :) See Shawn in a week or two. ;)

All T5's would look sweet and you could fine tune your colors but you would be limited to 24" bulbs, tank is 30" right?

I'm going to pick up a pump and that old bulb from Andy next weekend when I get home. I'll get you some Ushio vs Phoenix pics, I promise. :)

shawnz28
05/27/2006, 06:39 PM
Hey norm just wanted to say I got my LumenMax 2's installed today along with swapping out my VHOs for the T5 actinics. As far as the pendants go all I can say if wow what a difference I have ran the Ocean Lights and the PFO mini pendants on this tank for comparison and the spread from these is perfect... everything is completely even

Treg
05/28/2006, 09:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7381133#post7381133 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Treg

I'm going to pick up a pump and that old bulb from Andy next weekend when I get home. I'll get you some Ushio vs Phoenix pics, I promise. :)

As Promised. :)
This is with the Ice Cap ballast, since that is what you were planning... Also 2x 85w T5 Blue+ Actinic.
The ONLY thing different was the Tunze's were off in the 2nd pic while the fish had dinner... Pics were cropped but otherwise not touched in any way. No flash, Aquarium lighting only. The AC14k's have about twice the time on them. You can see how much brighter the Ushio is, Its not just the age of the bulbs...

Ushio 14k
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/texasholdemtreg/FullTank-Ushio.jpg

AquaConnect 14k (same bulb as Phoenix)
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/texasholdemtreg/FullTank-AC.jpg