PDA

View Full Version : Jamaica???

Reggae Fish
05/10/2006, 02:52 PM
I'm heading back to Jamaica...This time to Ocho Rios again and now that I've been in the hobby a few months, I'm curious to know what species I should expect???

Is anyone familiar with the corals, inverts, etc...in the Caribbean?

agilis
05/11/2006, 08:32 PM
Your question is a little too broad. Jamaica has more different kinds of corals recorded than any other island in the Caribbean. A few decades ago, before siltation from coastal development killed off most inshore reefs, Jamaica was a wonderland. Some places are still very nice, but you have to look. Ochi is not my favorite place; not by a long shot. Montego Bay has some interesting deep reefs, as does Negril, Little Bay, and Orange Bay; a few coves near Ochi have spectacular snorkeling.

You can expect to see all of the standard Caribbean reef fauna, including all kinds of fishes, corals, and various other inverts. You do have to look carefully, just like anyplace else. There is very little in the Caribbean that can't be found somewhere in Jamaica. Unfortunately, there are very few big fish or turtles left to see. They are hunted intensively for food. Fish traps are everywhere.

The island, as abused and semi-ruined as it is, still has a hold on me. It is like nowhere else to those of us who spent large chunks of our life on The Rock. Oh Jamaica! That magical emerald in a limpid sapphire sea, its deep sweet soil, its rainforests, parrots, Boas, irrepresible life. I miss it.

Reggae Fish
05/11/2006, 09:18 PM
Yeah, this is my 3rd time there. I've been to OR before and Negril which I was actually not as impressed with. I was just curious what types of corals, fish, I should expect to see.

Thanks!

agilis
05/12/2006, 12:14 PM
Notice, I did write "deep reefs". Negril's reefs in general once were a key preservation site for the International Reef Preservation Society. This was back in the 80s. The construction of sewers, roads, and hotels has long ago killed off the magnificent spur and groove formations that were Negril's pride and joy; a couple of miles off the beach and between 50 and 90 feet down. Their loss has also made the beach itself vulnerable to wind and waves. It's only a shadow of its former self, and a dying one at that. There are, however, still some deep areas, almost never dived, 100 to 150 feet down, and an amazing drop-off near Bloody Bay that starts at about 160. These places are not accessible to tourist divers.

Ochi is too crowded with spliff sucking "ya mon" American and Canadian two-digit IQ loud, obnoxious peel-nose tourists, psuedo- rasta hustlers, prostitutes, and criminals of every sort.

You can expect to see just about every coral that exists in the Caribbean, and likewise almost any small fish and invert, depth and structure as appropriate. Angels, butterflys, tangs, parrotfish, grunts, drums, basslets, chromis, triggerfish, the list is endless. Every type of fore-reef and back reef, or shallow and deep water coral can be found. Big fish, conchs, and turtles are few and far between because they are hunted down.

gdavis17
05/16/2006, 10:25 AM
I am to going to Jamaica in about a month, but I am going to Montego Bay. I would love to go snorkeling. Any recommendations? Thanks

agilis
05/16/2006, 11:52 AM
There are a lot of beaches along the main road into the airport, including the old standby, Doctor's Cave. The snorkeling can be interesting all along this stretch. Look for small heads, rocky outcrops and ironstone shore. Not too bad if you look closely at the abundant small life, and the juvenile tropicals. Be very careful at night. In fact, stay away after dusk. Mornings are best, and the water's clearest.

You might hire a guide to take you out in a small boat to coral gardens offshore (only if he is recommended by hotel or tour operator--BE CAREFUL!). There are neat places just south of Montego Bay, like the town of Sandy Bay, the area around the Tryall Golf Club, the areas near the Half Moon Resort (big bucks). If you don't have a car, the Doctor's Cave area is probably close by.

Enjoy yourself. There's lots to see in shallow water. Don't ignore the turtle grass patches here and there. You'll be surprised.

Jim Brody
05/18/2006, 06:27 PM
I am going to Ocho rios and Runaway Bay in a week . Just got certified I'll post some pics when I get back. Also does any one recommend any cool dive spots in these areas? Thanks I'll post again when I return.