PDA

View Full Version : Came home to a carpet surfer

slojmn
05/08/2006, 11:41 PM
:( :( We came home this evening and we both saw this thing on the carpet about two feet from the tank...the conversation went something like this. "What is that thing?", me bending over, "I don't know, it looks gross...hey wait a minute that is my chalk bass." "How did he get there?" "It's called carpet surfing, It's a dangerous sport." " Is he alive?" "I doubt it, at least we didn't step on him." " It was even luckier one of the dogs didn't find him." "Hey, he's still alive."

He actually was still alive, who knows how long he was out of water. I gently picked him up in a net and put him back in the tank. He looks pretty bad but he was actually swimming around after 5 minutes of lying on the bottom sucking in the water over his gills. I think he has about a 25% chance of living at this point. I wonder what kind of damage is done when they are out of water to long but don't die. I've only had one other fish go carpet surfing years ago and I didn't find that one until the next day, dried up and dead, very dead.

Wish our little chalk bass good luck.

Sk8r
05/09/2006, 12:15 AM
Got to get some eggcrate at least around the tank rim. And good luck to him.