PDA

View Full Version : del rey 125. can't get it to start

teknopanda
05/02/2002, 08:34 PM
i bought the del rey 125 that includes an overflow box so you don't have to drill your aquarium. i can't get the siphon started. i need the water in the tank to enter the overflow box continuously. does anyone that have this filter help me out? the instructions are worthless.

gdog
05/03/2002, 07:31 AM
i don't have that filter, but i do have an overflow on a PRO 75. to start the syphon i inserted a small length(maybe 18 in. long) of airline tubing more than halfway into the syphon tube. place the syphon tube into the overflow box with the end of the syphon tube hanging out being placed in the overflow box. suck on the other end of the airline tubing which will start to draw the water column up the syphon tube towards the apex of the syphon tube. continue to suck until the water starts to fall down the other side of the syphon tube into the box with the pre-filter on the back of the tank. the water should now begin to drain and to continue to syphon. pinch closed the end of the airline tubing you're holding and pull the airline tubing out of the syphon tube and overflow box. if any air bubbles remain at the apex of the syphon tube you might try jiggling it a little. if you can't get them out, try the procedure over again. good luck.

teknopanda
05/03/2002, 02:11 PM
basically trashed the hard plastic siphon tube it came with and replaced it with a flexible tube so i can directly start the water flow by sucking on the replacement tube.

just realized that with a siphon overflow box you have to finely adjust the powerhead and water level in the sump otherwise the tank will overflow.

that's it, i'm drilling!

gdog
05/03/2002, 03:22 PM
all you really need to do is fine tune the height of the overflow in the tank to alter how fast the water is drawn into the overflow and thus the sump. took me about 5 min. to get it right.