PDA

View Full Version : Confused... Missng Fish

ZManGT
05/06/2006, 06:44 AM
Hey,

I have a 12 gallon nano-reef that has been up and running for a year. Actually I guess it's more just FOWLR, there aren't really any corals yet. I was broke for a long time so I just had the rock. Haha.

Anyway over the past two month I had 2 clownfish and a cleanershrimp, 8 or so snails. The other day I added a green serpant star and emerald crab. Well I had one clownfish jump over my cassette mod that I use to skim the surface and he was stuck overnight between the skimmer and the intake. I freed him in the morning but he was very pale and swimming upside down and all over the place. His breathing was heavy and the cleanershrimp jumped on him and maybe was trying to help him.

I left for work and came back and his body was missing. It's just gone. Now this morning my other clownfish that was fine is gone. Where could they be going? I really don't want to start breaking down the tank to find their bodies but I think I have too.

Could something be eating them? How did the last one just dissapear one day? The lid has been down all the time so there is no way they jumped out of the tank. I'm just confused.

Thanks
ZMan

a4twenty
05/06/2006, 06:59 AM
a death in a nano can have devastating effects. the ammonia spike caused by the first death can kill everything else. i'd say you have no choice but to start moving rocks and looking for the bodies.

NEEDMONEYFORMORESALT
05/06/2006, 08:16 AM
gotta second that, need to find those fish quickly or everything in your tank will be dead soon.

garyw68
05/06/2006, 09:01 AM
Just the other day, I lost a clown tang the same way. One day he swimming and eating, the next day....gone. But my tank is 90 gal with a 20 gal sump. I am not too worried about a ammonia spike. I am doing a water change today so that will help. I agree, look for the dead fish.