PDA

View Full Version : Brittle star eating my fish?

Shekki
05/04/2006, 10:55 PM
I've lost three fish in the last 2 months and I suspect my brittle star. I saw him carrying a dead fish into a cave a few weeks ago. He eats twice a day. Should I feed him more or send him back to the store? Is he like jaws? Now that he has a taste for fish, will he never leave them alone?

Robb
24 gallon Aquapod

Rhinecanthus
05/05/2006, 01:02 AM
Take him back. Brittles are dangerous, especially in small tanks

Anemone
05/05/2006, 12:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7307572#post7307572 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rhinecanthus
Take him back. Brittles are dangerous, especially in small tanks

I don't agree with that general statement. In my experience, very few brittles are dangerous. The most notable exceptions are the green brittles - they are often dangerous to fish.

Kevin

JENnKerry
05/07/2006, 08:19 AM
Exactly. I would think that your brittle was carrying off your fish because he was already dead. Brittles are great.

Javeo
05/07/2006, 07:37 PM
I had a black brittlestar eat 3 fish. It was pretty large, but I as they are oppertunistic creatures they cannot pass up a sleeping fish. All the fish eaten were those that slept on the sand, flasher wrasse, mandarin and six spot goby, so made easy targets. I have removed the brittle star, and now no more losses.

BigWaveDave2
05/11/2006, 02:29 PM
Green brittles are known to eat fish, I've heard of them creaping up on fish at night and snagging them, thats probably what its been doing. I'd take it back if I were you. Other brittlestars are great for the tank, but not greens or blacks.

gussy
05/15/2006, 03:22 PM
They sometimes will eat live fish...depends on the "personality". The ones most likely to each fish are the green ones, but mine have never eaten a live fish. The biggest one that I have is a yellow one in a 24 tank with a huge mantis plus some damsels. I feed the yellow guy once a week but sometimes he takes some of the food from the mantis that I feed 3 times a week.

VengefulSakhmet
05/16/2006, 12:42 AM
I would take him back to the LFS. It seems like a very expensive menu.