PDA

View Full Version : clown ID please

KAZEKY
05/03/2006, 10:15 PM
Hi, I had this clown-fish that I bought on petsolutions.com as a Ocellaris Clownfish its been on my tank since July 2005 and I just added another one that I bought at my LFS as a True percula. I really don't know the diference they look the same except for the color (one looks lighter that the other). can anyone help with the Id of boths I bought the other because I would like to pair them.
as soon as I add it the other clown they have been together ever since. I'm not sure if that's a good sign of then pairing or that may not mean nothing?
btw sorry for the pictures they are not really good pictures, but i did my best they were moving to much I think they are happy with each other.

Thank You!
http://www.intercalltravel.com/LTA/DSC00636.JPG
http://www.intercalltravel.com/LTA/DSC00642.JPG
http://www.intercalltravel.com/LTA/DSC00639.JPG

coraldude
05/03/2006, 10:16 PM
false perc

showjet98
05/03/2006, 11:07 PM
the new one is a true perc 100% guarantee, you can tell by the eyes.

Atticus
05/03/2006, 11:42 PM
2 A. Ocellaris aka False Perculas.

stykthyn
05/04/2006, 12:14 AM
new one is a true pec, the eyes dont lie

KAZEKY
05/04/2006, 09:51 AM
Thank You!! for the info everyone.
do you think that they will be a pair in the future?

Amphiprion
05/04/2006, 11:00 AM
The eyes do lie. I had/have ocellaris clownfish that started out with the bright, reddish eyes (and body color), only to turn to a much darker color later on. The only (relatively) reliable way to tell is to look at the dorsal spines. A. percula will have 9-10 dorsal spines, whereas A. ocellaris will have 10-11 dorsal spines.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7302195#post7302195 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KAZEKY
Thank You!! for the info everyone.
do you think that they will be a pair in the future?

If there is no severe fighting, then there is definitely a good chance.

jjackson
05/04/2006, 12:09 PM
Hey I like the 9-10 and 10-11 but what happens if it is 10? do you flip a coin?

Amphiprion
05/04/2006, 12:18 PM
Unfortunately, that is where it gets difficult. This is also where genetic differentiation to the species level may be needed. While the spine count method is the most accurate, it is far from perfect. I suppose you could look for certain characteristics, like size, etc also, but they are even more unreliable.

jjackson
05/04/2006, 12:38 PM
I agree, I am a zoology major so I understand taxonomy pretty well. I just had always heard 9-10 and 10-11 and was thinking well that sucks....

Amphiprion
05/04/2006, 12:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7303299#post7303299 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jjackson
I agree, I am a zoology major so I understand taxonomy pretty well. I just had always heard 9-10 and 10-11 and was thinking well that sucks....

That it does :D

KAZEKY
05/04/2006, 01:05 PM
Thank You!!!

when i get home I will try to count the dorsal spines and I let you know what happen with my clowns.

KAZEKY

Atticus
05/04/2006, 04:02 PM
Eyes also lie when being photographed. There is not a decent shot to use that as a comparison. I also believe ocellaris and perculas have different body types and stipe patterns than each other. Could be from staring at so many fish for so long... :D I still put my money on 2 ocellaris, but even if I am wrong, you should still get a decent pair. Percularis offspring.

rubysmomma1
05/04/2006, 08:23 PM
We bought a pair of what we thought were false percs. They were mated in the tank which we got them out of, but after two days of being home the smaller one disappeared. A week later we bought a third false perc and we only saw him one night.

We left our living perc alone for three months before introducing a third potential partner. We thought that maybe she was a true perc and she was killing the false ones. So we bought a true perc. He was fine for almost two months, but had trouble eating because she was not protecting him from the other fish during feeding time and we believe he starved to death.

Since we're not sure if she's a true or false, we decided that she's better off on her own.

I hope your two keep eachother happy and the female does not kill the male. Good luck!