PDA

View Full Version : Blue Faced Angels?

Nethos
05/01/2002, 09:30 AM
Hi again all... :-)

I started another thread on this because it does not relate to my previous one.

While I know that most of your initial answers will be to stop bleaching and boiling the fish, here is my dilemma. :-)

Right now I have a Vtail grouper, a zebra moray and a porcupine puffer. I want to add a blue faced angel as the centerpiece of my tank.

Now...I have tried on three seperate occasions to add a Blue Face to my tank with no success.

These fish were bought from my LFS and had been there for several weeks and doing well.

They all die within a week, of fin-rot. When they hit the tank they hide, refuse food...shake their fins in an agitated manner and make grunting noises that I can hear from the outside of the tank.

Do these fish have any specific weakness? My nitrates are high, but otherwise all tank chem is good.

Also...I am using net-and-drop--I don't float fish before adding them--I just dump em in.

Look forward to your replies...

Thanks
Dave

Skipper
05/01/2002, 10:17 AM
Also...I am using net-and-drop--I don't float fish before adding them--I just dump em in. And the reason for this is.....?I have tried on three seperate occasions to add a Blue Face to my tank with no success. Why are you still trying? Does this mean that three Blue-face Angels have died already?

gregt
05/01/2002, 10:21 AM
Your major problems are:

Blue faced angels are a difficult fish
Your tank is not remotely large enough for what you are attempting
You need to properly acclimate your fish before introducing them into your tank
The type of fish you are attempting require more sophisticated techniques for success such as Quarantining any new arrivals
When attempting large angels such as these you should always look for juveniles that are feeding well. Adults rarely adapt well to aquarium life.

I would suggest sticking with easier to care for species until you have a few more years of success under your belt.

NewMariner
05/01/2002, 10:54 AM
Also...I am using net-and-drop--I don't float fish before adding them--I just dump em in.

This last statement is more than likely your problem. Your not acclimating the fish. Hes already stressed from the move out of the LFS tank to your home. And then you just drop him in a tank at an unknown temp and specific gravity for him. Which causes him more stress and eventually death. If I were you, I would at least float the bag for about 15 minutes to equalize the temperatrures. Secondly I would drip acclimate. This will help in equalizing the specific gravity. Im sure if you would acclimate your fish you would have alot less death.

MJC
05/01/2002, 03:47 PM
While we are on the topic of blue faced angels, rather than start a new thread I thought I add to this.

I too am considering a blue faced angel (Euxiphipops xanthometapon ) and a golden BF (Chaetodon semilarvatus ) for my 125. Livestock currently consists of a pair of false perculas, copperband BF, yellow head sleeper goby and a coral beauty in a 55g reef consisting of mainly soft corals.

I met someone who kept a blue faced in their reef and it did not disturb his corals (I dont recall what he had) and have heard similar of the Golden BF. I presume it's a hit or miss.

My question for those who kept the golden BF and blue faced in a reef (sorry about your situation Nethos) what has your experience been? Do they nip? What do they nip on (sps, lps, soft, ...)?

- Marty

gregt
05/01/2002, 07:14 PM
Marty,

A 55 gallon is too small for a blue-faced angel. Scott Michaels recommends a minimum tank size of 135 gallons. The fish grows to 15", a 55 gallon tank is only 14" deep. The fish will not even be able to turn around when it is full grown. Please reconsider keeping a fish that grows so large in such a small tank.

Additionally, they are known to nip at soft and hard corals, as well as clams.

NewMariner
05/01/2002, 10:08 PM
I think some people need to really read posts before they start giving off helpful tips....he clearly says

I too am considering a blue faced angel (Euxiphipops xanthometapon ) and a golden BF (Chaetodon semilarvatus ) for my 125.

The last part of that quote being a 125g tank......Sheesh everyones so quick to judge....

MJC
05/01/2002, 11:42 PM
gregt -

I apologize, perhaps I should've stated those two are for a 125 that I'm upgrading to. My current 55g livestock consisted of ... of which they will be xfered to the 125. Sorry if I confused.

NewMariner -

No problem, we all run into that sometimes. Thanks for catching it.

Now that we have that out of the way, as I indicated there have been instances of these two fish not nipping on corals and as gregt pointed out, they're known to nip. My copperband doesn't nip at anything (and I purchsed it at an attempt to rid my aiptasia). Of those hobbyist who have these two, what is your experience? Do you keep corals? What types?

Thanks,

Marty

Python73
05/02/2002, 01:41 AM
I'll throw in. The problem with your angels, regardless of any other factor, is how they are collected.

Our club recently had Mary Middlebrook in to speak. She owns Marine Specialties Int'l (wholesaler : http://www.reefsource.com/). She described the circumstances of how these specific fish get to you. Here is my para-phrase :

This is a staple fish from the Philippians. Unfortunately, they have destroyed most of their near shore reefs. So they take two week boat rides out to collection grounds to get these angels. Then they pack the boat with as many as they can catch, and ride back. After two weeks in a nasty, hot moving boat, they get put in 5 gallon buckets that sit under palm trees getting 1 water change per day until the middle men can get them to the exporter. Then they are shipped through LAX to a wholesaler, who tanks them. This is almost three weeks since capture. Did I mention food anywhere? Nope, because they do not get fed this whole time. Then the wholesaler bags them up after maybe a day or two, and ships them to a store. The store puts them out. You buy one maybe two days later. Surprise, surprise... it dies in your tank. Count the time and handling that angel has gone through to get to you.

Grim tale, but that's the way it is. I am amazed that any fish get to us alive after hearing what they go through. Check out Mary's site, she has some great stuff there.

S !

gregt
05/02/2002, 05:19 AM
I apologize. I missed the reference to the 125. I still think that amount of stock is excessive even for a 125. I've learned that the more reasonable your stocking levels the easier to keep this type of fish alive.

It's not a matter of being quick to judge. It's a matter of trying to help someone avoid the needless killing of fish. Even re-reading the post it still seems confusing to me, although I understand now what was meant.

Again, I apologize.

jms
04/03/2003, 11:11 AM
Late response, but like any angel, they pick. Mine loves zoos (like me, unfortunately). Doesn't really bother Euphyllia or SPS. Anyone interested needs to decide their priorities. It is a bequtiful fish, I've had mine for over a year.