PDA

View Full Version : why are they pests?

nathan_unsane
04/30/2006, 11:55 AM
i have one of those Aiptasia (pest anemone) and some bubble algae, I guess they are pests?

what is really so bad about them... i think both are cool, do they have negative effects?

Amphiprionocellaris
04/30/2006, 11:58 AM
The main problem with Aptasia is that there can be so many of them that they nettle (=sting) corals, preventing them from opening. Bubble algae can get to be so numerous that they actually phsyically grow over corals. In small quantities, they are actually not very bed, unless conditions are ripe for a population explosion. If you can easily remove them without disrupting the tank, go ahead for safety's sake, but I wouldn't worry about them.

nathan_unsane
04/30/2006, 12:04 PM
so untill i get coral, there is really nothing to worry about...

i pretty far off from the coral part... i just cant see spending that much on a light

Paintbug
04/30/2006, 12:12 PM
let just say if you dont do anything now about the aiptasia, and bubble algae, then when you are ready for some corals, you wont have a place to put them without getting stung. in just a few months the aiptasia will be all over the rocks.

ERICinFL
04/30/2006, 12:35 PM
Add a few Peppermint Shrimp to your tank, they like to munch on it. I added three to mine and I haven't seen Aiptasia in months.

eddie c
04/30/2006, 01:12 PM
my first tank i had one aptasia and thought it looked kind of neat so left it alone, then it started populating, and before you know it, it grew to almost plague porpotions, i recommend you get it out of there while you can.

Sk8r
04/30/2006, 01:18 PM
I agree, they're kind of neat, but like weeds in your lawn, which can be beautiful singly, they get way much way fast, until you haven't got room for anything else and it's pretty much beyond any mere shrimp to control. Start now with the shrimp (be sure you get true peppermints) and you're 50% likely to have a few survivors for local color---I think mine farm them for future food supply and take out the ones that they pick out.