PDA

View Full Version : clown fish

nickels
04/30/2006, 11:30 AM
My clown has been spending lots of time trying to host my torch coral. This morning I noticed stuff on the side, behind the fin of the fish. The larger clown fish, bit the stuff off of the smaller clown fish. I don't know if it was a parasite or a woun from the torch? Any help would be great. You can see in the picture that the fin is also damaged.
http://mrnickels.com/clown_sore.jpg

leebca
04/30/2006, 03:37 PM
Pretty good photo.

I don't know that much about the 'torch coral.' Maybe someone else has that knowledge.

However, it isn't unusual for an anemonefish to be stung by the host it tries to adopt. On the other hand, red blotches can be a sign of Brooklynella or a secondary bacterial infection from something else. Do you think it could be Brooklynella? Is the fish breathing faster than normal? Read this short reference:
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/brooklynella.html

There is some information I think we might like to have in order to give better guidance:
How old is your tank? When did it originally cycle?
What kind of system do you have (tank volume, dimensions, bio-filtration method, the equipment you use, any carbon or other chemical filtration, kind of substrate, etc.).
List all specimens & sizes in the tank (fish, inverts, corals, clams, snails, crabs, shrimp, etc.).
Do you use a quarantine tank and procedure?
Foods you use and feeding schedules.
How long have you had this fish? If the fish was recently acquired (8 weeks), two more questions: Did you treat it or give it a dip before it went into the aquarium? How did you acclimate it – what procedure?
Do you use any vitamins? Fat additives? Any elemental or other additives? Please list all.
Chemistries – please give actual numbers (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phosphate, Silica, Ca, Alk., and any others you have)
Water parameters – please give actual numbers (pH and your pH range, salinity or sp. gr. & range, temperature range)
Do you see any of the following in your system: hair algae; micro algae; cyanobacteria growths (red slime algae); dinoflagellate (zooxanthellae) growths; brown algae; diatom growth; slimes; off-colored patches on rock or substrate that are not coralline; etc.?
Water changes (how much and how often).
List what you added or taken out of your aquarium system (living, decorations, and equipment) during the past 6 weeks.
Maintenance schedule. What have you done lately?