PDA

View Full Version : RO Membrane dried out

ejmeier
04/29/2006, 03:22 PM
I recently bought a used RO filter for dirt cheap, and I wasn't even planning on having the membrane work, and I had planned to buy a new one.

Well, initally I thought it was exhausted, but it turns out it was just allowed to completely dry out.

My question is:

Is there any possible way to restore this membrane? Can I just soak it a while, or what? Given that it isn't costing me a penny, I think its worth a shot to see if I can get it working again.

melev
04/30/2006, 05:26 AM
You might be able to soak it in a mild solution of distilled water with some white vinegar, for an hour or so.

No promises though!

ejmeier
04/30/2006, 04:05 PM
Marc, where did you hear about this? Have you tried it yourself?

I haven't gotten it working yet, but mostly because the o-ring seal on the membrane housing is missing, and I am having a tough time keeping it sealed.

I think it may work out though, because I can already get it to sputter a few drops out of the "filtered" line of the membrane; just need to seal it well enough to withstand the backpressure coming from the wastewater line.

melev
04/30/2006, 05:45 PM
Vinegar is a mild acid, and can break down any calcification in the membrane itself. I wouldn't leave it overnight, but in a case where it is iffy, it can't hurt to try. Worst case, you have to get a new membrane, which can be found on many e-tailer sites for affordable prices.

Get that O-ring. That should definitely help.