PDA

View Full Version : The Mad Reefer Part 2

hcs3
04/28/2006, 03:29 PM
I recently had the chance to go back into TMR. As my company meetings are in Peoria, it gives me the chance to stop in every so often and have a look around while on my way home.

If you can remember back to my original thread, I was not impressed with what the store was, but I also noted that TMR had a good foundation to improve upon with the chance to become something special.

It looks to me like TMR is starting to turn the corner. Inventory was up. Way up. The fish selection was not as large as I'd like (I doubt that would ever happen! :p ) but what they had was eclectic. It was refreshing to not see 12 yellow tangs, schools of damsels, etc. Instead they had several types of flasher wrasses, frogfish, and dottybacks and many more interesting and unusual fish not normally seen at the average LFS.

The corals were also improved. Plenty of zoanthids can still be had, but the selection of LPS has grown exponentially. SPS seems limited to frags thus far (which is still an improvement) and I have noticed a few clams starting to appear.

Drygoods are still an afterthought, but the last time I was there there was none and this time they had various foods and additives. I wasn't terribly interested in that stuff so I paid little more attention to it than to note that something actually existed (as opposed to last time).

The fish seem to be priced reasonably, at least compared to other local places. Nothing jumped out at me as being over priced as was the case the first time I visited, but then again I can't recall thinking to myself "Hmmm, that's a good deal." More or less, they fell right in line with what was expected.

The coral pricing seemed different than the fish pricing. whereas the fish ar elikely a straight percentage markup, the corals, at least to me, seem more flexible. If TMR feels the piece they have is extra nice, it gets an extra high price. Certainly not out of the ordinary by any means. Yes, this makes it difficult to find that special piece at a decent price, but likewise, things that didn't seem to trip the trigger of TMR also seemed to have garnished a lower price.

So anyway, to recap, I am thrilled to see TMR making strides at becoming the LFS it showed the promise of becoming. Although I still don't see myself making the drive to B/N to simply shop TMR, it is definately worth the visit each month I'm passing through town.

brad23
04/28/2006, 03:50 PM
When did you stop in? Today? I know they were getting a shipment last night so you might not have seen a very large stock. Someone had told me a Moray had got sucked in the overflow and into the return pump sometime this week.

Also with his fish and corals he is still internet price matching. A lot of the stuff you saw can be had for much less.

There fish selection here the last few months has been getting much better. I'm still not to impressed with the corals they have been getting in here of late. I'd like to see more Clams as well.

gshriver
04/28/2006, 03:52 PM
I can die a happy man now!:eek1:

hcs3
04/28/2006, 04:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7267597#post7267597 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brad23
When did you stop in?

Twice in the last week actually as i found myself in Peoria on both saturday and today.

fkdenton
04/28/2006, 04:20 PM
I probaly need to make another trip up there myself.

hcs3
04/28/2006, 04:25 PM
I asked the TMR staff to participate on the private CIMA forum where he can advertise his monthly specials, arrival dates or shipments, etc. You may want to keep an eye on that forum from time to time to plan your drive up around heavy inventory periods.

Benny Z
04/28/2006, 09:01 PM
:bigeyes:

:bounce1: :bounce3: :bounce2:

:thumbsup:

'nuff said.

blooper74
04/28/2006, 09:39 PM
Cool, maybe we will get some traffic on the site and I will have something to moderate ;P

chadscamaro
04/29/2006, 07:28 PM
where are they located ? We are coming back from imac tomorrow and would like to stop if its close to 55 ?

JazzMann2
04/29/2006, 08:00 PM
Its directly off of 55. Take the Market St. exit, take a right at the lights, and another right, before Farm and Fleet. Its back in that strip mall thing.

(I believe this is the correct path heading towards St. Louis on 55)

Jeff

chadscamaro
04/29/2006, 10:22 PM
market street exit is in bloomington ? Thanks for the info !

JazzMann2
04/30/2006, 01:15 AM
yes sir it is

chadscamaro
04/30/2006, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the help !!!!!!

gshriver
05/03/2006, 12:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7267785#post7267785 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hcs3
I asked the TMR staff to participate on the private CIMA forum where he can advertise his monthly specials, arrival dates or shipments, etc. You may want to keep an eye on that forum from time to time to plan your drive up around heavy inventory periods. I posted on CIMA today:D

TracyJean
05/03/2006, 01:18 PM
I was jsut in there about an hour ago and Guy said another big shipment is coming in tonight.