View Full Version : Need Ideas from Geniuses

MCary
04/28/2006, 12:30 PM
I need to put this:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/mwcary/DSCF0424.jpg

In here:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/mwcary/DSCF0423.jpg

Back story:

The hole in the wall had a built in made of plywood and pine that was painted white. Last night I ripped it out. Wow, there's a plug-in back there. Who knew. I don't know what was there originally, but it looks like an entertainment center of some sort.

Anyway, the aquarium (150 gallon reef) is going in the hole.

Option 1: Build it in. In which case I will cover the front with drywall and frame in the tank. Then paint it (the drywall of course) to match the wall. In this case I won't have access in the front so I'll have to knock out the back wall, which goes into a closet. The room with the closet is my office so no closet is necessary. The closet will become a fish/filter room.

Option 2: Face the front with a hardwood. Basically build a buiilt in cabinet. Raised panel doors, trim around the tank. Access to the tank will come from two doors in the base and one large door on a piano hinge on the top for access to the tank and lights.

Which one is better? If option 2, any good cabinet or trim ideas?

Mike

BeanAnimal
04/28/2006, 12:53 PM
You need to knockout the back wall and build the front in. Otherwise you will have moisture problems. You could add a good panasoic fan and humidistat I guess....

In any case I would would connect it to the office....

Sk8r
04/28/2006, 12:57 PM
I just found a great solution to my own problem---I needed a second cabinet to house my topoff reservoir. I happened by Petco on another errand and found, on sale at near half price, a fully-finished oak doublewide. The way they'd made it, you get a bottom and a top each with a pre-done set of grooves for your upright section---and the upright section has the doors already attached and the sides on hinges, so it's just drop upright section onto the bottom section, slot in; drop top on, slot in---bingo. You could use one above, one below, even making the whole top face removeable for cleaning and service. What they had was oak finish, and pretty good looking. Inspect them if you go that route, however, because finish varies wildly. If Petco is phasing out that model, there could be bargains to be had, and 2 of them might solve a good part of your building. ---(no genius here)

MCary
04/28/2006, 01:03 PM
BeanAnimal,

You are a freakin genius. I didn't even know about humidistat. And they aren't very expensive. Man what a find. Thanks dude. I was going to put a ceiling fan (quiet bathroom fan) in the opening but I didn't want to run it 24/7 if not necessary. I can wire to a humidistat. Very cool. thanks again.

Mike

humboldt reefer
04/28/2006, 01:13 PM
I went the cabinet route. I think in the end it looks nicer. Mine is just mdf faced over a 2x4 frame with routed edges. IMO you should deffinately still open up the back into your office. It'll make working on the the tank soo much easier. Mine is built into the garage infront of the garage doors. Its still in progress but here's a pic for an idea.
http://www.hostdub.com/albums/Unit00/Fish_tank_stuff_003.sized.jpg
The opening on the left now has the doors on it but I left it as a walkway around the tank. I can open the garage doors from in there and get to the back of the tank.

MCary
04/28/2006, 02:43 PM
Nice, I hadn't thought of white. I was looking at oak or cherry, but thought it wouldn't contrast the tank and surrounding wall well. White may just be the trick. I could save money by using poplar for the face. Build some raised panel doors and VIOLA.

I better figure it out soon. Its my weekend project.

Mike

dandy7200
04/28/2006, 10:52 PM
We will all be checking back monday to see it set up and ready to stock:).

MCary
04/30/2006, 05:15 PM
Yeah right Dandy. Well its Sunday night and I have gotten as far as demolition and clean up. I decided to knock out the back wall and double my space. The house is old so the walls are plaster. For future reference, plaster destroys sawsall blades. The proper tool is a hammer. So what I was able to create this weekend was lots of garbage.

The tentative plans are to build in the bottom with access only through the back, and a large door with 3 raised panels on a piano hinge in the front for front access to the front pane. The tank is 30 inches high which makes access important.

Now that demolition is complete I need to plumb in a floor drain to handle possible floods and plumb in a water line for the RO/DI.

I also need to design the electrical. One cool thing, the plug-in outlet I found back there is on its own 20 amp breaker. Very nice. I am putting in a ceiling fan that will be connected to a humidistat.

Then I'll frame in the front wall and let you guys know how it goes from there.

Mike

MCary
05/01/2006, 02:53 PM
Weekend progress:

Didn't get much done. Lots of yardwork. This really is a winter project. Oh, well, Tonight I wire the thing.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/mwcary/Picture027.jpg

Mike