PDA

View Full Version : Why is my Skimmer donig this(Pics Included)?

FxdupCobra
04/28/2006, 01:37 AM
I have a skimmer and it was working fine for about 3 months now this is what happens and I cant explain it.

PIC when everything is ok:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/88128P1.jpg

PIC after a couple of hours (for no reason):
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/88128P2.jpg

(If I unplug the skimmer it will be ok for a couple of hours then it will look like the second pic).

The problem is that when it is shooting water out there is no foam being produced and the skimmer is not working correctly. My water is no getting filthy and I need to fix this problem. Does anybody have any solutions the skimmer is exaclty like the ASM built.

:confused:

tkeracer619
04/28/2006, 01:51 AM
Have you taken everything apart you can and clean it.

My skimmer started acting funny. Turned out to be salt clogging the air inlet.

Shot in the dark but its worth a try.

jcorso
04/28/2006, 06:30 AM
That sounds like the venturi is clogged. I'm not sure why it would work for a while and then not work though. You may need to pull apart the pump and see if a piece of carbon or something caught up in there and falling loose when you shut it down.

Normally if it's salt clogging the venturi you can stick the air hose into a cup of warm RO water and that will clean it up. You might want to try that first.

SaltyMember
04/28/2006, 07:12 AM
I recently posted about this exact problem with my Euroreef skimmer. Your venturi air intake is clogged. Take off the tubing and clear out the air intake hole. I used a drill bit to clear the hole. It should go back to normal after that. Like jcorso mentioned run a cup of warm/hot water through the air hose to help prevent this.

Nathan
04/28/2006, 08:48 AM
Is it just me, or are your pictures just BLACK? I can't tell at all what that is a picture of. Maybe you could use a flash, or take the picture during the daytime. :)

-Nathan

elephen
04/28/2006, 08:58 AM
The pics are black, looks like you took them in the dark.

tkeracer619
04/28/2006, 01:53 PM
Im assuming he is falling prey to cell phone photo's. I to am in the same boat. Always pulling out the spotlight to get enough lighting.

Surferlopez
04/28/2006, 05:48 PM
cant really tell due to picture quality, but the first thing that comes to mind, is for you to check the venturi hose coming off the pump, it looks like your skimmer is actually gettling little or no air at all.
Danny

FxdupCobra
04/30/2006, 11:45 AM
It was the ventri hose. I cleaned it and now the skimmer is working good again. Thanks a lot guys as always the experience from others saves a headache.