PDA

View Full Version : Leathers are not looking so great-whats the problem?

John Hartford
04/25/2006, 04:50 PM
I just began to move my corals over from my 125 into my 210. My 210 tank now has metal halides lighting verses the power compacts that I had on the 125. The water quality of the 210 tank, which is tested weekly is near perfect, and I say that because sometimes the calcium levels are a little low but not by much at all.

I adjusted the corals to the new 210 tank water accordingly and placed them near the bottom of the tank, and gradually moved them up closer to the light .

I have been feeding the same, and adding the same elements into my tank in the correct quantities. I have LPS corals in the tank, as well as fish and one BTA and all seem to be doing really well.

I just don't know why the leathers are having such a hard time adjusting. The leathers that I have are 2 yellow fijis, two toadstools-one green, one tan. One tree coral, and one spaghetti coral, one blue ridge, and one devils hand. I noticed today however that the Toadstool and the yellow fiji are starting to stick their polyps out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

garvin90
04/25/2006, 11:12 PM
How much handling was done on your leathers and how much of a temperature difference is it from the 125 to the 210? My leathers do not like anything touching them or being moved period and show this by discoloring and shrinking back. How long have they been in the new tank? Did you recently frag any of these? Also how much of a lighting difference has been changed from the 125 to the 210?

John Hartford
04/26/2006, 10:58 AM
The temperature has increased 3 degrees, and my leathers were not handled that much at all. The temp increase was due to my meatal halides that I now have on my 210. The leathers were previously in my 125 under a power compact 6*96 72" made by orbit. I did not frag any of the pieces.

garvin90
04/26/2006, 11:52 AM
Do you have any pictures of what they look like now? What are they doing exactly, have they just shrunk back completely, are they discoloring or do they expand but do not extend the polyps?

Temps might be a issue as long as it isnt to high, what was previous and now current temps? Also, how long have they been in the new system; couple weeks, couple months?

Alaskan Reefer
04/26/2006, 11:57 AM
My leather took three weeks to recover from the move into my 125 from my 75. The 125 is significantly cleaner all the way around, so I'm guessing that created stress. IME, they're hardy in the long run, but fickle in the short run.

John Hartford
04/26/2006, 12:11 PM
The corals were in there for about 1 week now. Unfortunately I don't have any digital pictures of them yet, but I will post some tonight when I get back from work. right now they are discolored and expanded in size.

Thanks for your help guys

Alaskan Reefer
04/26/2006, 01:32 PM
Discolored and expanded I wouldn't worry about at all. Same exact reaction from mine when I switched tanks -- stayed the same size, turned yellow/brown, and retracted polyps. After three weeks it was white and fully extended again. I'd just be patient unless they start shriveling up / shrinking.

garvin90
04/26/2006, 10:40 PM
I agree with Alaska, just give it some more time especially since they are expanding even with discoloration. For some of mine all that has to happen for discoloring is a crab to walk across and it goes black... I get a mental image of cartoon talk bubbles and explenatives lol.

GL with the new tank. Now, that will be a charge of 3 frags for all services rendered... :D