PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer not skimming anymore (CSS)

nubomb
04/25/2006, 10:51 AM
I have a coralife super skimmer and it is no longer skimming for me. It's creating the same amount of micro bubbles just no getting a good frowth in the collection cup cone.

I recently setup a refuge and added it into the overflow compartment and it was skimming great (better then ever).

I stoped it the other day to clean the collection cup and at the same time I added another powerhead to the main tank. I also set up a drip doser (driping treated Tap water only) to counter act evaporations.

Could it be the new powerhead had some oils in it that is effecting my skimmer?

Or is it the continous drip of the treated Tap water? I use to about a half gallon twice a day and now drip a gallon over the course of 24 hours.

The only other thing I can think of is I changed the Water conditioner to Aquarium Pharmaceuticals.

Any ideas? I plan to do a water change today and I'm hoping I can get this thing back to skimming. I also know I should be using RO/DI water. It's a FOWLER setup and have yet to have algea problems. A RO/DI unit is the next purchase.

rustybucket145
04/25/2006, 11:03 AM
It does kinda sound like some sort of oil was introduced into the tank. Maybee throw in a poly-pad and run carbon for a few days and see what happens.

jvetter
04/25/2006, 01:25 PM
I would not worry too much about it. The new equipment + your hands in the tank (a likely source of oil) will cause your skimmer to lose effectiveness. Give things a few days to settle and your skimmer will pick back up.

Sometimes cleaning the unit with a vinegar solution will help. I have put my Euroreef in a bucket with a 50/50 white vinegar and tapwater solution. I plugged it in and let it run overnight.

Also check that the your air injector is not clogged with salt buildup. A little bit will cause problems.

My hunch from your description is that things will improve on their own.