PDA

View Full Version : sump noisey

panaboy95
04/24/2006, 10:13 PM
i was wondering what all of you do to quiet the water spilling in the sump.

my overflow goes straight down into the first section of my sump and it is pretty loud. the noise is basicly the air from the hole in the durso going into the water making a gurgling sound. i was wondering if i put a 100 micron sock on it would it quiet it down. it does not need to be silent as it is in my basement but a little queiter would be nice.

thanks

this is not the best pic but it is all i have for now.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/panaboy95/tankrear.jpg

DKKA
04/24/2006, 11:02 PM
One of the best ways to reduce water noise is to reduce velocity. Increasing pipe diameter is the best way to do this. My two bulkheads are plumbed together into 2" pvc before entering the sump. There is still a gurgle, but it isn't noticeable over the pumps and fans.
I don't know if this will help your situation since the overflow goes straight down into your sump, but it may.
I doubt a filter sock will make a big diff in noise, but who knows. If you use one be sure to clean it regularly.

Quieting a reef tank is sometimes a 'try it and see' adventure.
Good luck,

Dan

DKKA
04/24/2006, 11:08 PM
You know, your best bet may be to enclose the sump compartment. It would be easy to do and go a long way toward containing the noise.
You could use a clip on fan to give the compartment some ventilation if needed.
Heck, you might not even need to enclose the whole thing, just putting something to block the noise on the overlfow side might be enough.

badbu68
04/25/2006, 06:46 AM
The sock will help.

LegoZ81
04/26/2006, 08:50 AM
you could theoretically line the sump area with sound proofing foam and then enclose the back and have foam on it as well that should knock the noise down.