PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy lighting

JazzMann2
04/24/2006, 08:20 PM
Where/who do you all order your lighting from? Need to order some new bulbs, so i thought to myself, "Hey Self, why dont you order a metal halide system and stop being a lame *** with your P.C. lighting" So thats exactly what I'm going to do. I usually listen to myself.

Anyway, when I do order the MH, can I use my Orbit P.C. as substitutional Actinic light? And if so, what kind of bulbs are good for that. (2-65w PC)

Thanks everyone,
Jeff

blooper74
04/24/2006, 11:36 PM
I got my lights from www.illuming.com good price and there is no shipping charge. He also sales lamps too for a good price. As for your PC yes you could still use it to add supplementation, I would just put 50/50 or all actinic bulbs in it. The halide will do the rest for you in the "white" range, or you could use the PC for your sump and get like a 14k or 20k bulb for the halide which will add the blue tone to your light.
I am sure others will chime in on this with many other light options but remember, its how you want the tank to look, so decide what you think will look best for your taste. Good luck and welcome to the world of halide lighting ;)

llewoh05
04/25/2006, 07:22 AM
i got the 150 retro setup from the same place. Great guy. I went with the 14k phoenix. Perfect color.

Benny Z
04/25/2006, 07:27 AM
i have a 250w evc retrofit kit coming tomorrow w/ a 14k evc bulb. like you, i also have been using pc since i started reefkeeping. FINALLY getting around to making the jump to mh after many years. the pc worked fine for my softies, but i'm ready to move on.

i considered going w/ a 10k mh bulb and using my pc ballasts/bulbs for supplemental actinic, but in the end just decided to go w/ the 14k mh bulb w/ no supplementation.

john eichwedel
04/25/2006, 08:15 AM
I just ditched my pc and got 3 Hamilton 400w 14k hqi. Oh my gosh! Put a t5 on my sump and the macro is great.I think Ill try a different bulb when its replacement time.Probably Phoenix 14k. With the 14k, you really shouldnt need supplemental.

schmoeger6
04/25/2006, 11:28 AM
IMO, still use the PC's. I'm running 10K reeflux's and all actinic PC's. I use the PC's to ramp up to the MH, then back down at night. 1st set of PC's at 11:00, 2nd set at 12:00 the MH's at 1:00, then reversed at night. I've been really happy with the Reeflux bulbs, and the PC's really make the colors pop. All SPS, LPS, softies, and Zoo's are showing nice color and growth with this setup.

Horace
04/25/2006, 11:42 AM
The reason you would want supplemental is so you can run lower kelvin bulbs and get more PAR. 14k dont even come close to the PAR of the 6-10k bulbs. Plus I am not so sure that the 14k will flouresce as well as an actual actinic bulb.

I think the whole "ramping up" of the light is somewhat overrated though. Its not really needed. However, because I have 6 T5s, 2/ballast, I do ramp mine up just because I like the look of the tank under pure actinic, and enjoy those periods of differing light spectrums in my tank.

JazzMann2
04/25/2006, 06:48 PM
Allright, thanks for the input.. Looks like www.illuming.com it is, if i cant find something used!

It also sounds like I shoudl keep my PC's... If i do, im only running 130 watts through them, so what kind of MH bulb should I get? 10k, 14k, or 20k? Also, im not really sure if there is a difference, but what kind of Actinic bulbs should I get for the PC?

Thank you!
Jeff

llewoh05
04/25/2006, 08:45 PM
well if your going to keep your pc's, then your best bet would be to get the 10k mh bulbs and use your pc as supplements.

DougSupreme
04/26/2006, 08:12 AM
check out www.reefgeek.com

LegoZ81
04/26/2006, 08:46 AM
I'd keep an eye on @ oceanencounter.com and see when they have the EVC Retrofit back in stock.
IMO they have a great deal on the EVC stuff and they are REALLY nicely finished off electronic ballasts for the price.

breedingroom
04/26/2006, 09:46 AM
diyreef.com..............bet i've seen so far