PDA

View Full Version : lps problems

john eichwedel
04/24/2006, 07:15 AM
Changed my 8 year old 95 gal reef into a 180 in january.Everythings been perfect until two weeks ago.My 3 year old red open brain just up and died followed by my candycane colony.Frogspawn and torch are fine along with all my sps and zoos and shrooms reproducing like mad.Water is perfect. Any suggestions,John.

Horace
04/24/2006, 08:20 AM
Im sure you already thought of this, but when you cant put your finger on what the problem is, its time to do a large water change, and run some carbon :P. Look around for possible equipment failures....cracked halide bulb, frayed copper wire, rust on any pumps/screws etc etc. Do you have any new fish/critters?

brad23
04/24/2006, 09:42 AM
Also it could of been the place you had them, to much light?

john eichwedel
04/24/2006, 10:06 AM
Did a 50 gallon water change a month ago and 25 this weekend. I just put 3 400w 14k Hamilton hqi up about 2 months ago. Would it take that long to affect them?Also,I shaded both corals knowing theyre light requirements.How about mushroom stinging?Like I said it just seems to be the lps.Fish ok,critters and everything else is thriving.

ahenson
04/24/2006, 09:09 PM
I have 400w 20ks and it's awful bright, I have most of my lps shaded under rocks or to the side. I'd bet that's the problem.
Andy

john eichwedel
04/25/2006, 08:11 AM
Horace,I did come to think of it,introduce two new critters into the tank about a month ago.4 Conch's which I removed last night after seeing the razor blade theyre totin' on theyre backside,and 6 big white snails that are very fast with a foot twice as long as theyre body.Are these bad?ahenson,I guess after thinking about it,I removed my glass after being so impressed with my lighting after a water change,I left it off.How high are your lights?Thanks,John

Sk8r
04/25/2006, 08:33 AM
I run 2 conchs with a plate coral and no problem. I'd rather bet the light or a fish. Or alkalinity---they're pretty sensitive if alk gets out of whack. Light is also possible. They may need to be acclimated to more light.

ahenson
04/25/2006, 11:29 AM
Mine are maybe 8" off the water in what is basicly a 180

john eichwedel
04/26/2006, 07:41 AM
Mine are 18 inches from the tank in a 24 inch deep tank.Yesterday I got home,and had brown algae all over my sandbed and live rock.Now what!?

REEFGREENER
04/26/2006, 06:06 PM
John,
If is brown algae it might be a diatom bloom. They are usaually caused by excess silicates. Does the algae wipe away easily? Had simmilar issues when I upgraded from my 100 to 300. Seems like tank goes through a mini cycle no matter how much stuff you transfer over. Would agree with water changes and good phosphate free carbon. Maybve even a poly filter or two. Is your top off water RO? If yes , check your tds. If thier high might be adding some excess silicates, fueling the algae.

HTH's

Todd

john eichwedel
04/27/2006, 07:41 AM
Yeah,it blows off easily with a baster.I have used well water for top off for years with no problem.No carbon just a 55 gallon sump with a sand bed and live rock.What kind of poly filter?Tds?I took your advice REEFGREENER and removed all my leathers like you said when we met at TMR a couple of months ago.Maybe they were argueing with the rest of the corals

REEFGREENER
04/27/2006, 03:22 PM
Tds is total dissolved solids. If you were using R/O water thought it might have gone up and caused your algae/ diatom bloom. Poly filter is a brand name of filter pad that helps sorb things carbon doesn't. I have been forced to use R/O DI because our local water is poor, around 800 tds. If youy haven't had the problem before with using your local water ?? If you wanted to invest in a R/O unit it might help. Would'nt hurt any thing.

FloatingFish
04/27/2006, 05:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7243221#post7243221 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by john eichwedel
Horace,I did come to think of it,introduce two new critters into the tank about a month ago.4 Conch's which I removed last night after seeing the razor blade theyre totin' on theyre backside,and 6 big white snails that are very fast with a foot twice as long as theyre body.Are these bad?ahenson,I guess after thinking about it,I removed my glass after being so impressed with my lighting after a water change,I left it off.How high are your lights?Thanks,John

Did you say you removed the glass from infront of your DE bulbs?
You need that glass there to block the very bad U.V. rays from killing your stuff. Unless I read your post wrong.