PDA

View Full Version : ich theory question

poknsnok
04/24/2006, 06:19 AM
Ok.. another ich question

I got Ich in my 200 reef when I didnt QT 4 Anthias. My regal tang ultamitely died and my Kole had a minor outbreak and has since cleared up. I havent seen any spots whatsoever on any fish for 4 weeks. What does this mean?

If Ich has a 3 stage life cycle and one of the stages involves hosting on a fish, If I see nothing on any fish for 6 weeks does it mean the Ich is gone?. if it isnt gone where is it hosting?

Just food for though

leebca
04/24/2006, 08:21 AM
You are making the same assumption that thousands of people make -- that the infecting stage of Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans) is visible.

The Marine Ich (MI) parasite mostly like to infect the fish in the gills. When it infects the fish it most likely infects the gills first. So, you can, not see the disease, but it can still be hosting.

Lastly, when the parasite hosts on the fish body or fins, the only time you see it is when the parasite has engorged itself and is ready to move on to the next stage. Essentially, the parasite is invisible to the human eye except for a very brief time in its cycle and then, only when it is on the body or fin(s) of the host fish.

:)

poknsnok
04/24/2006, 08:48 AM
thank you... so if I ever want to add new fish i either subject them to an ich infected tank and hope they survive or remove all the fish,treat and allow tank to go fallow.

leebca
04/24/2006, 09:07 AM
Basically yes. Except you have to amend the part about putting in a fish with what might happen to there being a large enough outbreak that some of the older fish could be overwhelmed by the disease and die.