PDA

View Full Version : More jawfish questions

mark97r6
04/23/2006, 07:22 PM
Hey guys,

Seeing a lot of questions on jawfish at the moment, must be popular at the moment!

So i thought i might as well join in!!LOL

I have been planning a breeding project for yellowheaded jaws for a while. Just want peoples thoughts about the grade of sand they find they burrow in best or not. Have you seen it make much difference?
Also sand bed depth!

Cheers guys i would like to hear all your thoughts on this.

Jerry W
04/23/2006, 07:58 PM
I had a mated pair for a couple years that spawned on 4 occasions. I had a 4-5 inch sand bed of Southdown with lots of rubble/shells. The had one burrow under a large piece of rock.

mark97r6
04/24/2006, 08:10 AM
Thanks for that Jerry,
Southdown?

rustybucket145
04/24/2006, 10:12 AM
I have 5-6 inches of aragonite with lots of rubble/shells on the top layer. My Yellowhead has made a fortress underneath a colony of glove polyps. He really seems to like 'building' with the different size rubble. He even has a piece that fits perfectly in his hole to close it. He closes it everynight right after lights out.

mark97r6
04/24/2006, 02:30 PM
Thanks again Rusty,
Has anyone ever introduced more YHJ when they already have some?

As these cant be sexed i am wanting a 'breeding' group of 4 inn there own tank. though they are proving very hard to source here in the UK. I have found somewhere with 2, do you guys think i could add another 2 at a later date without upsetting the origional 2? Or is a temp tank needed untill i have all 4?

Thanks again.
Mark

Jerry W
04/24/2006, 07:56 PM
Not sure about adding more with established ones. I bought my pair together and they worked out to be a m/f. If I'm not mistaken, they form colonies in the wild so large groups ae not uncommon. They simply need enough real estate to make dens that don't crowd each other. As far as sexing them, IME, the male had/developed small dark spots by his gills when spawning. He also seemd to be a bit larger than the female.
(Southdown is a dry, bagged aragonite sand that was sold here for several years. It's now marketed under different names)

mark97r6
04/24/2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks again Jerry,
thats what i am thinking with the colonial thing. So i want a group of 4, should have good odds of a pair.
Though i am thinking if the group however big it is, sets up a terrotory will they allow other jaws into it?
I think i will have to house them in a temp set up just to be on the safe side! Or wait untill someone can supply me with 4!! Is that really going to happen though.