PDA

View Full Version : I have a long spine, black urchin

fours2many
04/23/2006, 09:17 AM
He started to drop his spines. He dropped about 5 overnight and a few yesterday too. Could a high tank temp cause this? My temp was about 87 the other day. We slowly brought it down by opening the lids and slowly doing a water change. All of my parimeters are really good.

Is there a disease that causes this to happen? I have a pincushion urchin too that looks really good. (If it is something catchy, I don't want him to get it too. Should I quarentine him?

Thanks, Kristin

LeslieH
04/23/2006, 11:34 AM
Disease or any kind of stress will cause them to drop spines. Many urchins simply die of starvation because the system isn't producing enough food for them and the symptoms are the same - dropping spines.

Fragatha
04/23/2006, 11:36 AM
My long spine black urchin (with a blue tuxedo) loses spines occasionally for no known reason. He does, however, shoot spines at whatever he perceives as a threat. Maybe someone new was added to the tank and felt the need to "investigate" him, causing him to try to "shoot" the inquisitor??

fours2many
04/23/2006, 01:15 PM
got too much of that, LOL! I also supplement with sheets of algae when they need extra to graze on. My clown fish and cleaner shrimp were a bit upset with it the past 2 days though. The clown was kicking sand on it like crazy. Clown doesn't like anyone in his spot. Who knows.

It still is looking ok, moving around the tank. So all can't be bad, right?