PDA

View Full Version : Popularity of the H.Magnifica seems to be on the rise

Planoi
10/27/2000, 02:58 PM
Lately, I have been seeing more and more H. Magnifica arriving in various LFS and it seems to be more often and increasing at an alarming rate.

Since I started the hobby in the begining of the year, I have only seen carpets, cork screw, and sebae anemones in the trade several times. Over the course of the past month, I have seen more and more anemones (all kind) arriving at the LFSs. I think it is due to the fact that the restriction on coral trade has came under close scrutiny, and it has forced the dealers to turn to anemones to make money. Carpet, Sebae, Ritteri, Cork Screw, E.Quad, you name it, just one month and I am seeing it all in just 3-4 stores.

It is sad to see that almost half of the Ritteri just waste away upon arriving at the LFS.

Staceon
10/27/2000, 03:06 PM
Planoi,

I am just curious, what does a LFS look like in Thailand? Any different that in the US? Are they popular? Do they sell more than just fish stuff? Is there a "underground" movement too because of the legal problems?

Planoi
10/27/2000, 03:32 PM
Well, I have never been into a fish store in the US, so I really don't know how they compare. They come in every imaginable fashion though. You wouldn't believe your eyes and it is just unexplanable. I will try to take a picture of some and post it soon.

Dan
10/27/2000, 07:24 PM
It could be that more hobbyists are having long term success with anemones. Better lighting, better water quality, and most importantly - better knowledge. I keep several species. You can see some at my web site. I know hobbyists with anemones that are doing very well. Since many hobbyists get into this hobby to keep clownfish/anemones, I think the increased knowledge and success is causing more people to try them. Or to try them again. It would behoove the LFS to improve their setups in order to better keep anemones while they are in their care. Hobbyists can help there. Insist on it. And it would be very important for hobbyists to get as much information as possible before trying them. Did I mention you can see some at my web site?

Dan

OrionN
10/27/2000, 09:09 PM
I like to try to raise one of the clonal H. Magnifica tank raise from from one of the reefkeeper. I would not want any wild caught anemone. I got a big enought tank and enough light for it. (400 g tank with 6X400 watts MH)
I love to get hold of one if anyone like to sell me one.