PDA

View Full Version : AIPTASIA! wooo

MCWarhammer
04/21/2006, 11:45 AM
I found my first encounter of Aiptasia in my tank this morning. Whats recommended, syringe method with hot water, some peppermint shrimp (i have a fire and cleaner, adn will be adding a pistal soon.. will they all get along?) or something else. So far its only one that I found.

tompg
04/21/2006, 11:52 AM
I used a racoon butterfly. Ate em all and died in six days. Pepermint shrimp have done the job since then, but If you can keep a butterfly alive I highly recommend the racoon.

Tom

Bax
04/21/2006, 11:53 AM
I recently picked up some rock from another reefer and found a few aiptasia, about a half dozen , on one rock. I picked up a 6 oz bottle of Chem-Marin "STOP" Aiptasia. I used a childs med syringe and with less than half a table spoon nuked'em all. It's expensixe stuff, $15 for the 6 oz bottle, but it seems to have worked like a charm.

As for the pepermint, I have a fire and two pepermints in my 75 g, they all live together in the same area of the LR with no problems.

camz28
04/21/2006, 11:53 AM
you should get like 2 peppermint shrimp and put them in before it star to reproduce

MCWarhammer
04/21/2006, 11:57 AM
Raccoon butterflys would be cool, if I had a large enough tank to house them. If I can find peppermint shrimp tonight, I'll go with that, otherwise I'll try the syringe trick with whatever I can find in the shops tonight.

mott768
04/21/2006, 12:51 PM
peppermint shrimp worked for me..... never tried the Chem-Marin but I have tried all the other remedies all failed, it was a never ending cycle they would always come back except when I got the shrimp, I haven't seen one since.

MCWarhammer
04/21/2006, 01:09 PM
cool, tom you know anyone local that carries them? I'm gonna go hunt down. Stoppin at steves, than the brick shops i suppose

mott768
04/21/2006, 01:10 PM
Steve usualy has them, what time you going?

MCWarhammer
04/21/2006, 01:12 PM
I get out of here around 5 as long as I get some progress on this project I'm working on. I might run to the mall with my friend will quick first.. so maybe 6 or 7.

mott768
04/21/2006, 01:27 PM
My wife wants a black clown... I was thinking of going and see if he got any more in.

MCWarhammer
04/21/2006, 01:29 PM
ok, ill call you after work and we'll take a ride, mine is doing great so far.

mott768
04/21/2006, 01:34 PM
cool...I'll talk to you then thanks Bill

rags111875
04/21/2006, 03:44 PM
my peppermints took awhile before they started eating the stuff. and the 2 of them couldnt keep up with it in my 120. so i got a copperband BF and it got rid of it all within a week or two.

Bax
04/21/2006, 04:58 PM
I should have mentioned, I placed a pepermint fom my QT into the rock tank and it did not touch them, I think they were too big for him.

steve68
04/21/2006, 08:55 PM
peppermints will eat them as long as u dont over feed the tank.
if u feed heavy the shrimps will not go after the aptasia.

DMBillies
04/22/2006, 12:52 AM
Peppermints seem to do the trick as long as there isn't aptasia everywhere. I put 4 in my 60 because my girlfriend just loves shrimp (and making her happy gives me freedom to do other things I want). They decimated the few that I had and I haven't had any since even with a number of additions from other reefers tanks. Now the shrimp are spawning and releasing larvae at a rate of about once a week (as far as I can tell). This makes a good feast for the fish every once in a while and puts the idea of trying to raise some into my head. My only advice about peppermints is to get a group. They survive a bit better and are much less shy when they have friends.

Rlbluiz
04/22/2006, 02:49 PM
I GOT RID OF AIPTASIA FOR GOOD....WITHOUT BUYING ANYTHING.
ALL I DID WAS FILLED A SYRINGE WITH LEMON JUICE (FRESH SQUEEZED) AND SHOT THE CORE OF IT WITH THE JUICE AND IT KILLED IT AND I HAVE NEVER HAD AN OUTBREAK AGAIN....
DONT' OVER DO IT WITH LEMON JUICE AS IT WILL CHANGE THE PH OF YOUR WATER... BUT IT'LL WORK. I PROMISE. PEPPERMINTS I HAVE LIKE 10 OF THEM AND THEY DIDN'T TOUCH IT... SO IT'S A HIT OR MISS WITH THEM

kypatriot
04/22/2006, 03:19 PM
I had 1 peppermint who never touched the aiptasias, so I got another one. It was as though the 2nd one taught the first what to do - they both eat it now.

I used Joe's Juice on the ones at the front of the tank, and it worked but took 2 applications. The 1st just knocked them down a little & the 2nd wiped them out.

There were several in the back of the tank I could barely see, and the peppermints took care of them. Also, I recently added a toadstool, and within minutes of it being in the water, they were all over it cleaning it off.

I did notice that when I had 1 peppermint, it could rarely be seen - ever. Now it is much less shy and usually is visible. They do reproduce a lot! Those things constantly have eggs.