PDA

View Full Version : Switching salts from IO to RC

acropora213
04/21/2006, 08:56 AM
Last night I switched from instant ocean to reef crystals.

I mixed 10 gals. last night for use later today, and its still cloudy and milky !!!
I've never used RC before, so I was wondering if its normal for this salt to disolve a little slower than IO ??

The water is at room temp BTW... Lemmy know folks ... Thanx

MiddletonMark
04/21/2006, 09:55 AM
IME, a little bit more.

acropora213
04/21/2006, 10:10 AM
If anything ... should there be a concern ???

Im also assuming it would take the same volume of that brand of salt ,to reach the same Salinity as the previous correct ??

acropora213
04/21/2006, 11:42 AM
Okay guys ... I kNOW its a really silly post , that no one really cares about, but I don't throw out these silly questions too often.

Bueller ... Bueller ... anyone... anyone....

reefer_for_life
04/21/2006, 11:58 AM
do you have a power head in the container? mine water is clear within an hour if i keep a power head in the bucket. dont think room temp. would matter in this case.

hmott
04/21/2006, 03:24 PM
did you use ro/di water? I'm pretty sure RC has a chlorine remover in it, are you sure its not just the chlorine parcipitated out that you are seeing? If you use water with chlorine in it to mix your RC it will never clear. You'll need to let the chlorine parcipitate fall to the bottom and not use it.

acropora213
04/21/2006, 03:42 PM
Its RO/DI ....

But I think I know what happened, but I still do not know why.

Last night I filled two 5gal. water jugs for the salt to be mixed.
The first jug was full, and after the salt was added, it was clear.
The second jug had the amount of salt put in before the jug even had a gallon of water in it.
So for some reason I think that had something to do with it.
As that jug is the one that did not dissolve clear.

Any thoughts on this ?? I'll bet the farm, this was the cause

Weatherman
04/21/2006, 04:06 PM
Yep. Always add salt to water, rather than add water to salt.

If you add water to salt, even for a very brief time you’ll get such a highly concentrated solution of chemicals that a whole bunch of weird reactions will take place, mostly resulting in insoluble particles precipitating out of your solution. This is what will make the water cloudy.

acropora213
04/21/2006, 05:13 PM
Well .... I think that's it weatherman !! Thanx

But, in my ignorance and stubborness. I still added that water to the tank, it only took about an hour to clear up, and none of the corals closed.

Guess I'll go in there with a baister, just to make sure no particulates are lying on anything.