PDA

View Full Version : 4 Bulb Tek T5 Light?

Nami19
04/20/2006, 10:09 AM
I'm new to the whole T5 lighting.

would a 4 bulb Tek (216W) be too weak for a 75G. I have the 260W Coralife PC, I'm looking into the Tek 4 bulb (216). Does that blow away my PC unit even though the wattage is less? I have zoo's and ricordia, but want to be able to put some SPS corals at the top of my tank.

Also, what purpose does the acrylic cover serve for the Tek T5? Is it really neccessary?

raynist
04/20/2006, 10:27 AM
I use the 6 bulb version on my tank. The 4 bulb should still be way brighter on your tank than the PC's, why do you not want the 6 bulb?

I think the acrylic cover is just to keep salt spray off the reflectors/endcaps. You can buy the acrylic at Home Depot for much cheaper than getting the shield.

--Ray

Nami19
04/20/2006, 10:46 AM
I just looked at the 4 bulb because someone I know is offering it to me at a good price. Could I keep SPS corals under it?

sheepdawg
04/20/2006, 12:08 PM
I'm running 4 bulb Tek retro T5 setup on my 75 gallon and am keeping a mixed tank with sps up top. Everything is growing nicely. T5's are definitely way brighter than PCs. I'm looking to upgrade my tek reflectors to SLR to improve the performance even more. Here is my bulb configuration:

blue+
GE 6500K
aquablue
blue+

Nami19
04/20/2006, 01:34 PM
So it's not neccessarily the amount of watts per gallon, it's the strength of the light?

My 260W PC in my 75 is 3.5 watts/gallon, the 216 T5 is 2.9 watts/gallon. Sorry for the questions, I'm just trying to understand and do what's best.

scarletknight06
04/20/2006, 01:38 PM
nami19,
yes thats correct watts per gallon is an outdated rule. PAR readings are what matter mainly (do a google search for sanjay's reef lighting and read all about it).
The 216w T5 with individual reflectors is much more light.

sheepdawg,
I just ordered a 4x39w tek light. so it is possible to take out the tek reflectors and replace them with Icecap SLR ones?

blackie lawless
04/20/2006, 02:25 PM
As said above, it is about Par. From all the research I have done on here, it seems to be that Reflectors are the main component to a good T5 setup.

Unless your friend is offering an already built fixture for dirt cheap, I would recommend a retro so you could get a good pair of reflectors on there.

I too am switching from PC (Currently have 390W) to T5's. I get my 4x54w retro from Reef Geek tomorrow and plan to make a step by step thread showing my progress and the effects on the corals already in my tank, plus new additions, etc...

From Sheepdawgs post, it seems SPS under 4 T5's is doable.

reelfreak
04/20/2006, 02:41 PM
Yes to the SPS under 4x54 Tek.....I run the same combo as sheepdog and have SPS on the bottom of my 55g. Acclimate your corals to the new light, I cooked mine when I switched from PC lights.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b140/conspearasea/nemosharkbait3.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b140/conspearasea/nemoputtybluesmall.jpg

These photos are over a month old, all of them have grown quite well since this picture.

blackie lawless
04/20/2006, 02:45 PM
Do you guys have a link to information on acclimating (the screen method) corals to the T5's?

I'll be searching in the mean time.

reelfreak
04/20/2006, 03:10 PM
Just get fiberglass screen at HD for window screens. I've heard to cut 4 or 5 sheets to cover your tank and remove one layer every couple of days...

I bought screen to do this, but wound up not doing it.....mistake. I bleached a few of my corals not acclimating them.

sheepdawg
04/20/2006, 03:11 PM
Scarlet,

Are you buying a retro kit or a fixture? I'm not sure on a fixture but for my retro setup it is my understanding that the refelector clips onto the bulb like the tek reflectors. I will be picking up the reflectors hopefully today and will let you know what I find.

sheepdawg
04/20/2006, 03:15 PM
Yes, definitely acclimate when switching from PC to T5. I am also guilty of frying some coral when I switched from PC 130W to T5 78W. I should also mention that it was my first time using T5s, I mounted the reflectors onto the canopy instead of clipping it on the bulb. This just goes to show how much more PAR T5's put out and still save power.

blackie lawless
04/20/2006, 03:19 PM
Very nice colors in those pics Realfreak! Thanks for the info on the Fiberglass Screens.

jun_celis
04/22/2006, 10:18 PM
How far from the water level should you keep your lights?

reelfreak
04/22/2006, 10:42 PM
Mine are about 6 inches or so from the water level. I have my fixture hung from chain link from the ceiling, I can move the light easily when working in the tank. I also ran it a couple inches higher in the beginning.