PDA

View Full Version : How do you se up a Ca reactor?

leoskee
04/19/2006, 09:17 PM
Ive been gathering all of my pieces one by one over the last year or so. Mostly from auctions.

Now I am ready to hook everything up. The problem is that I do not know how to go about doing it. I have an idea but I am affraid that I will blow something up in my place with the CO2 tank.

Here is a pic of my equipment. Let me know if I am missing anything. I know that i need to get some tubing but other than that i do not know what else I need.

Here is a pic of what I have:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a350/Leoskee/000_0001_0002.jpg

5lb CO2 tank (filled)
Dual chamber Ca reactor
Mag 3 pump
Milwakee pH meter
Milwakee regulator w/ bubble counter
2 8lb ARM media

There are two rings that came with the control valve that I do not know what they are for. I tried to place one of them between the controller and the tank but it did not fit.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Leo

elephen
04/19/2006, 10:17 PM
Follow the directions that came with your Milwaukee regulator or else you could end up blowing out your regulator :)

Fill up your reactor media, setup an effluent cup and a feed pump of need be and start pumping in water. Adjust co2 to a slow bubble rate at first until you get the regulator consistent then just tweak the settings till your alk/ca levels stabilize.

elosusa
04/19/2006, 10:28 PM
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/index.php

Medicine Man
04/20/2006, 09:46 AM
Leo, the plastic rings are seals that go between the regulator and the CO2 tank. You only need one of them. Keep the other though in case you ever develope a leak. Push the plastic ring onto the post of the regulator that goes into the CO2 container. It is kind of a snug fit. Then attach the regulator to the CO2 container. Use teflon tape to insure no leaks. The plastic valve on the front of the regulator should be all the way loose when you open the main valve on the CO2 tank. If no leaks then turn the valve until you see the needle on the regulator move up a little. Then adjust the valve on the bubble counter until you see bubbles rise slowly into the counter. You should have a 1/4 OD hose attached to top of the bubble counter that connects to the reactor. HTH