PDA

View Full Version : FREE: Annual Introduction to Reefkeeping Course

spyro
04/18/2006, 11:25 PM
I have decided to try and set up an intro reefkeeping course at my home. Last year was great and we all learned something, including me. You will learn about the basics of reefkeeping including some of the mistakes I have made (lots!) so that you don't make the same ones. I will talk about setup, water chemistry, fish, corals, pests, maintenance, equipment, energy efficient ideas, plumbing a tank, working with acrylic (demonstration) , and coral propagation (fragging demonstration).

Coffee, bagels and donuts will be served free of charge. For lunch we went to Kelly's in Saugus last year to see their large reef aquarium and we then went to Sea Creatures in Revere. The same could be planned this year.

Enrollment for the class is limited to the first 15 people so please reserve early. A minimum of 10 people would be good to shoot for.

Where: My home
When: Saturday, May 20, 9 AM to 1 PM, followed by optional lunch and trip to Sea Creatures in Revere.

Please PM me if you are interested. I will respond with directions and a course syllabus shortly after.

spyro
04/19/2006, 11:23 AM
If anyone can post this announcement over on the BRS private forum please do so. Thanks!

moe_k
04/19/2006, 11:35 AM
We don't allow that.

spyro
04/19/2006, 11:52 AM
You don't allow what ?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7206423#post7206423 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by moe_k
We don't allow that.

moe_k
04/19/2006, 12:54 PM
Nevermind. I'm not going to get into another long dragged out PM exchange with you.
You were banned. Move on.

spyro
04/19/2006, 02:20 PM
Not asking for a long dragged out exchange. I was just asking for clarification on your last post. What don't "We" allow?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7206934#post7206934 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by moe_k
Nevermind. I'm not going to get into another long dragged out PM exchange with you.
You were banned. Move on.

mhurley
04/19/2006, 02:37 PM
Well, I'll try from the RC perspective....

Let's say we banned someone from RC and that person goes to another board and posted something like this promoting an event that the banee is putting together. He asked some friends to post it on RC since the banee cannot. If we went as far as banning a person, we're really not going to look highly on allowing a banned member to promote something on here via a friend.

I can't speak for BRS' intent though.

spyro
04/19/2006, 02:43 PM
Yes, you are probably right. I really love to teach, especially reefing topics, and will miss not doing the class this year. Hopefully, some of the members will see this post and tell others. I hope that is not verboten! :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7207569#post7207569 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mhurley
Well, I'll try from the RC perspective....

Let's say we banned someone from RC and that person goes to another board and posted something like this promoting an event that the banee is putting together. He asked some friends to post it on RC since the banee cannot. If we went as far as banning a person, we're really not going to look highly on allowing a banned member to promote something on here via a friend.

I can't speak for BRS' intent though.

nanoguru
04/25/2006, 01:12 AM
why were you banned?

spyro
04/25/2006, 12:09 PM
Not really sure but here are some of my "sins":

1. Expressed dissatisfaction with a planned guest speaker
2. Criticized sponsorship program / vendor experience forum
3. Expressed concerns regarding forum moderators and BRS BOD banning/forum moderation policies
4. Criticized a "sponsor(s) LFS" after I got acro-eating flatworms that wiped out 5 years growth of and $$$$ worth of acropora colonies.

You can do a search on my name " Chuck Spyropulos" over on the private BRS forum and look through my posts to judge for yourself.

FWIW, I do not believe that anyone should be banned for the above "sins". Many BRS members viciously criticize the President of the United States and his policies and/or administarion personnel on the BRS forum and are not banned. But criticism of the BRS BOD, moderators, or guest speakers is strictly forbidden. One of the statements from a BRS BOD member to me was, "The membership voted the current BOD into power". I guess that means they have absolute power and do not have to answer for anything they do, including banning members.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7242425#post7242425 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nanoguru
why were you banned?

joefitz
04/28/2006, 08:23 AM
LOL, that is great stuff Chuck, really great stuff. With a mind that creative you should really go into writing or filmmaking or something.

Yes, being on the BOD does mean they are free to run the organization as they see fit -- that's how organizations function Chuck. You are wrong (on many points but I'll limit my remakrs to one), they do answer to someone: the membership. The membership supported our actions. I'm given your current attitude that the next set of BOD members will feel the same way.

Joe FitzGerald, BRS webmaster, BOD member

mhurley
04/28/2006, 09:15 AM
sypro,

Please take gripes with BRS and their bulletin board elsewhere. We will not allow you to discuss this any further here.

Thread closed.