PDA

View Full Version : Perfecto vs. All-Glass Tanks

HowardW
04/18/2006, 12:27 PM
Anyone have any opinions on Perfecto glass tanks and how they compare with the All-Glass brand? They look pretty similar to me as far as glass thickness, braces, tempered bottom, etc.

The guy at my LFS carries both and says the Perfectos are just as good, have a better warranty, and are also less expensive.

horkn
04/18/2006, 12:33 PM
why is the warranty better?

HowardW
04/18/2006, 12:41 PM
He said the warranty on Perfecto tanks is 5 yrs. if you use a Perfecto stand.

I really don't care too much about the warranty though, just to know they are ok as far as quality.

horkn
04/18/2006, 12:46 PM
and what is AGAs warranty on the tank if you use their stand?
i thought it was lifetime, although, i have not looked into it.

AGA used to be less expensive than they are now. a while back, they made a rate hike.

I can say AGA's customer service dept seems pretty darn good. but that may be because they are made in the milwaukee suburbs, local to me.

HowardW
04/18/2006, 12:52 PM
Yes, I've used AGA tanks all my life and have liked them a lot and never had an issue with them. I just didn't see any real quality difference between the Perfecto and the AGA side by side, and the AGA's are more expensive.

I dunno what the warranty is on AGA, he just said the Perfecto tanks had a better warranty?

Mr James
04/18/2006, 01:45 PM
I have used both and prefer the AGA's. Does Perfecto even make a RR tank?? On warrenty, a friend bought a 220g Perfecto for freshwater system. The bottom gave and flooded his home. Perfecto stood by their warrenty!! Between his home insurance and Perfecto, all damages were paid for. I think Perfecto used to have a bad name, but like any other company out there, I am sure they pay attention to their names being used on these boards and make corrections in their quality departments.

sales weasel
04/18/2006, 02:07 PM
I have a Perfecto 55g and it's tempered glass on all 5 sides. So I have to use a hang-on overflow. As far as stands go, I know my diy stand is waaay sturdier than theirs. I built it to actually hold a 90g. I also have more space inside the stand and room behind the tank. I guess my warranty is now voided since it's not a Perfecto stand.

Fl_seagull
04/18/2006, 02:10 PM
I noted that perfecto uses 1" bulkheads in both the drain and returns in their RR tanks when I was looking. AGA's had 3/4" return bulkheads.

Mr James
04/18/2006, 02:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7200293#post7200293 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fl_seagull
I noted that perfecto uses 1" bulkheads in both the drain and returns in their RR tanks when I was looking. AGA's had 3/4" return bulkheads.

Cool, so they do offer RR tanks. 2 x 1" drain/returns is a step in the right direction. I wonder how much Perfecto wants for a 120g??

5thtonbench
04/18/2006, 04:01 PM
I think perfecto will drill holes for you to spec as well, however I have never heard for or to the contrary that AGA wont help you out as well on a special order.

I had one perfecto tank once, and truth is it was a lot cheaper than the aga setup and that tank was on a budget. I only got rid of it because I moved on. But the stand was particle board and the tank was a lot lighter than it should have been, so I dont think the materials are apples to apples. I think viewing quality is the same though as I think back.

I get aga tanks now, but I dont have the budget restrictions I used to. I've also learned that reefing on a budget is a lot of extra work, but It has always been fun.

horkn
04/18/2006, 06:34 PM
aga will make custom ones here. there is a local store that sells a ton of tansk, and they have custom corner overflow 90s, instead of the offset overflow (standard megaflow) like mine.

the thing about the perecto, or all glass stands vs home made or otherwise, is that they spec them. the aquarium company has no clue as to your stands construction, so that makes the warranty void. regardless of the fact that every home made stand i have seen are way better built from a durability point.

the stand on my new 90 (aga) is nowhere near as stong as the home made stand i made for my 35g. but it apparently is strong enough, and we tend to over build things when we do it ourselves.

2crazyreefers
04/18/2006, 07:42 PM
IMO they now seem to be equal quality. Although I don't own a perfecto I may down the road as There tanks come with the corner overflows verses AGA offset center. The only difference I can see besides the overflo is that perfecto tanks are made with a thinner center brace which is another plus to have less shadow.

Fl_seagull
04/18/2006, 10:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7200354#post7200354 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mr James
Cool, so they do offer RR tanks. 2 x 1" drain/returns is a step in the right direction. I wonder how much Perfecto wants for a 120g??

My 120 gal high (60x18x26) was ~$425 drilled with two corner overflows.

HowardW
04/20/2006, 11:45 AM
Well I decided to go with the Perfecto tank because it is 100% tempered glass as opposed to just the bottom on the All-Glass tank, and it looks to be of at least the same or even better quality overall at a lower price.

horkn
04/20/2006, 10:07 PM
when you can get them for as little as i can (AGA are made in SE wisconsin) i tend to go with AG.

heres a RR 125 at the place most people around here get them.
543484 125 OVERFLOW (72x18x23'') $320.99

BLockamon
04/21/2006, 09:06 AM
Another good design element of the Perfecto overflows is that the front part comes off so you can clean out the gap between the two faces. I kind of with the AGA Megaflow had this because I'm sure that there is gunk trapped in there.