PDA

View Full Version : routine check turns into 4 hour ordeal

roons
04/17/2006, 07:14 PM
ugh............................................i check my tank bout 4pm, oh , flame angel in overflow, nice,take off canopy which is no easy feat alone........................cant get em, go to drain overflow, bulkhead breaks , oh boy................................water all over electrical, carpet etc, bout gal and half id say............................luckily, im smart enuff to keep extra bulkheads for this type of thing .......................so had to re plumb it over sump................what a workout........................i hope he appreciates me saving him, his dorsal fin spines didnt feel to good on my hand either, but the overflow sludge up to my elbow took my mind off that ........................

and i had eggcrate in the early days over my overflows, but it was such a pia clogging with algae i did away with it.............

itstheantitang
04/17/2006, 07:31 PM
good thing you had the extra bulkheads!
sorry that happened.

jim293
04/17/2006, 10:00 PM
Man that suck. When it rains it pours.

affan
04/17/2006, 10:11 PM
Murphy's law in full effect there.

Nem0
04/18/2006, 02:59 AM
Morale of the story is, let nature take its course. If the flame angel wants to make overflow box its home, so be it.

I had a male bartlett that jumped in and out of the overflow box. One day, I decided to block the path to the overflow with a eggcrate, and the bartlett got attacked by another male bartlett and vanished........ so I swear I never going to touch it again.

Freed
04/18/2006, 04:09 AM
I was going to replace the media in my Knop C calcium reactor yesterday which should have taken oh about 30 minutes at the most. I ended up having to replace(rig) two fittings and also had to run new hose and air line to get the thing in working order again. About an hour and a half later...

roons
04/18/2006, 08:18 AM
well , my thinking also is, if they jump and land on eggcrate they will die, so id rather have em in overflow, but im strongly going to think about it next time , lol

afishyonados
04/18/2006, 08:22 AM
I feel your pain...

rustybucket145
04/18/2006, 08:54 AM
I broke a bulkhead while moving my current 90gal. Except I didn't have a replacement. Luckily the LFS stayed open an x-tra 20 mins so I could get a new one. My move sounds alot like yours.

Broke down 55gal and placed rock, corals and fish in rubbermaid containers..... Left to go get 90gal.... Sunny day 80deg, perfect day to move a fish tank..... Started breaking down 90gal..... temp drops 30deg and starts raining..... Rain gets colder.... Successfully break down 90 and move it 30miles in freezing rain..... Break bulkhead while moving 90 where the 55 was.... Go to LFS (THANK YOU SOOO MUCH for staying open) to buy new bulkhead.... Go to walmart and spend $100 on heaters to try to save fish/corals...... 2am finally get everything set up. Everything survived..... I was bruised and battered, and came down with the flu the next day, but everything was happy in it's new home.

roons
04/18/2006, 10:23 AM
lol, i know, initially panic sets in but then i thought , well its allready leaking so what can i do about it?, then anger, then sweat.................

foob
04/18/2006, 12:44 PM
Hope you are using a sch 80 bulkhead. I wouldn't think those would break so easily.

rustybucket145
04/18/2006, 01:09 PM
forgot to add the blood to the tears and sweat.... cut my hand removing broken bulkhead.

On sched 80, the nipple broke on my bulkhead, tank slid off styrofoam support onto tailgate of truck.. tailgate+bulkhead=new bulkhead

roons
04/18/2006, 01:47 PM
i get em from custom aquatic, the nut broke since i used threaded for durso end, i thought it would unthread , but it didnt...............

http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/searchhomeitemresult.asp?itemID=pf-hr10-2107blk&submit3=Search