PDA

View Full Version : diy fake coralline

Benny Z
04/16/2006, 11:40 PM
ok, i know what some of you are thinking... yes, the ricer in me is shining through. i done riced out my fishy tank! :eek2: :eek2: :p

so i found a couple of gallons of purple paint in the basement, one darker than the other. i was going to paint the back of the 29g black, but i didn't find any black paint and didn't feel like making a trip to lowe's. so i figure a blend of purple might make an interesting "foe coralline" backdrop until the real stuff covers it up.

i started with a thin coat of the lighter color purple and took a paper towel to it before it dried, simply dabbing up areas of the paint. after it dried i applied a coat of the dark purple, and then did a 2nd coat of the same after it dried. the result is interesting. in hindsight i would have done the colors in reverse order because the lighter color puprle is more prominent than the darker coat behind it. i think the darker purple looks exactly like the traditional purple color coralline. it matches my rocks perfectly.

so anyway, here ya go. i think we're getting a canon s2 digicam tomorrow, so hopefully i'll be able to take some goods shots of the system put together this week.

http://home.insightbb.com/~ben.zimmerman/salt/fakecoralline.JPG

brad23
04/17/2006, 08:11 AM
Oh god

hounddog01
04/17/2006, 09:44 PM
Should have painted some coral on it too. Could have started with a completed tank