PDA

View Full Version : Overdose of Plankton?

broted
04/16/2006, 10:03 PM
I have a 55 gallon tank and I have noticed that I have a green film that gets on the front of the tank directly in front of my filter returns. My LPS told me to add a tablespoon of plankton each day. I did this for almost 2 weeks before I found out I was adiing to much. Can the plankton be whats causing the green tint on my glass? The green is also on the rocks and looks similar to green hairline algae, except the color is brighter and lighter in color. Thanks

PatMayo
04/16/2006, 10:07 PM
What kind of plankton are you adding? What else are you feeding you tank? How long are your lights on and what type are you running?

It sounds to me like normal stuff that gets on the glass. But if you can provide those details myself or others may be able to give you some advice.

Regards,

Pat

broted
04/16/2006, 10:10 PM
It is liquid plankton. I am also feeding staple flake food with frozen brine shrimp ocasionally as a supplement. I have 6 - 8 small fish. I have several mushroom corals, polyp corals and some leather corals. I have snails and crabs for clean up. I am running 2 mh lights that are 175 watts each and they are staying on about 10 hours per day. Thanks

PatMayo
04/16/2006, 10:44 PM
What brand of plankton?

Does it come with directions? What feeding directions does it have?

I personally don't think it is anything to worry about. I get a light film on my tank at times as well.

I would back off on the plankton to every other day.

I feed my 90 gallon 30 ML every other day and it seems to be ok. I use DT's Phytoplankton.

If you back down to every other day see if it slows the progresson of the film down. If it does there you go.

I wouldn't worry too much. Your right on the edge as far as your bio load goes. Do you have a real good skimmer? If not your nutrients may be collecting faster than your are exporting them and that can spell real problems in the future. Be careful!

Regards,

Pat

bertoni
04/17/2006, 01:57 AM
You might be overfeeding, but that's not a particular heavy dose of phytoplankton, perhaps, depending on the product. If the tank already has a lot of food going into it, the phytoplankton might push the tank into excess algal growth, which is likely what you're seeing.

redox
04/17/2006, 04:34 AM
your plankton might have filmentuous algae in it, it all depends on where you got it

broted
04/17/2006, 07:46 PM
The brand of plankton is DT phytoplankton. The directions for frequency of feeding is not on the bottle. It does tell the amount to feed and I am feeding the correct amount I am pretty sure. I think feeding daily may be my problem. I will take the advice and cut back to every other day. I do not have a protien skimmer but I will purcashe one very soon. Any suggestions on a specific skimmer that would be suffecient and still not over pricey?.. Thanks.. Ted

bertoni
04/18/2006, 01:27 AM
I would consider the CoraLife SuperSkimmer for a reasonably-priced skimmer for that tank. I have one in action and it seems reasonable, although there's no objective data on how well any of the skimmers work.

fareforce
04/18/2006, 01:47 AM
You could also look at Pasific Coast skimmers. A new and upcoming company, but so far, very impressive skimmers.

I would suggest this skimmer (http://www.reeftanksupply.com/product_info.php?cPath=38_103&products_id=417) for one under the $200 mark.