PDA

View Full Version : My 1st 180 RR Project, Cust Built stand/canopy Tunzes etc..

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

pmike25
04/14/2006, 06:01 PM
Hello everyone, This is my 1st Thread :thumbsup: !!! Well I got a great deal on a 150 R/R drilled tank and couldnt pass it up. Im going to try and post some pictures of it and some of the equiptment it came with. The skimmer is a Aquatic Life Support System as well as the wet/dry.It also comes with a pump a kinda heavy one I might add!! Im going to buy the lighting for it, Im planning on having some cool stuff in it, like coral and those fingery thingys (dont know the names yet!!) etc. I saw a website and he is a member of this site also and he sells RO/DI filters and refugium systems. Im planning on getting both of them. The tank I bought came with a UV sterilizer or thats what I think it might be! The lighting im planning on getting is MH's probally from Coralife or if theres something better please let me know. I really dont want to do this twice!!. Im planning on also having about 200lbs each of LR and LS. Now I really dont know much on how to set up the equiptment, I am good at plumbing and cant wait to put it all together!!! But not to familiar on how to. So please send comment and questions my way, Im eager to learn!!:reading: Thanks all.http://

PatMayo
04/14/2006, 06:19 PM
Its your first thread so
[welcome]

Before you get carried away, (I know the excitement is probably killing you) take some time and do a lot of reading. I can only assume you have been doing that. But just in case here are a couple of threads that will save you money and headache and might save some critters lives.

Good luck and please take you time.

Regards,

Pat

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239848

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=550860

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/sp/feature/index.php

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147010

pmike25
04/14/2006, 06:22 PM
Yes Im pretty excited to get started but at the same time going to take it slooooow!!! I have been doing alot of reading and going to get started on those links ya just sent. Thanks for that. Im just trying to figure out how I can add photos to posts!!!

jim293
04/14/2006, 07:25 PM
Well first off just take it slow. This hobby can be very rewarding and it can be filled with heartache. Do your home work read read and read. I picked up some books from the lfs and read long befor I bought the tank. Check out this and other web sites and read the forums. You can learn alot just from doing that. Have fun and good luck.

Konadog
04/14/2006, 07:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7178824#post7178824 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pmike25
Im just trying to figure out how I can add photos to posts!!! One of the easiest ways is to upload your pictures to your gallery, then link them to your thread.

Here is a really good tutorial on resizing and linking pictures (http://www.ximinasphotography.com/lessons/lesson09/reefcentral.html) to your post.

pmike25
04/15/2006, 07:39 AM
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/ad984eb9.jpg

pmike25
04/15/2006, 07:47 AM
:D ahh ha I figured out how to post bigger pics on here!!!! Yeah, Ok now im going to take some pics of the tank and equiptment!! BRB..........

pmike25
04/15/2006, 07:58 AM
OK this is the equiptment and tank. The equiptment ie. wet/dry and skimmer is a Aquatic Life System and Im not sure about the UV light and not sure either about the pump.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/1b5a24de.jpg http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/P1010005.jpg http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/P1010003.jpg http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/P1010006.jpg http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/P1010001.jpg

pmike25
04/15/2006, 08:01 AM
And the reason for me learning how to post pics is due to Konadog , Thanks for helping me!!!
:rollface:

And also thanks so far to everyone else who posted on here, escpecially PatMayo, Thanks that is some helpful info, I printed all that out, not i have about 7" of reading material which I started last night!!!

pmike25
04/15/2006, 09:24 AM
Does anyone have any feedback on this equiptment?, should I keep it or get rid of it?, Im going to go with a refugium for sure so the things im really interested in knowing about is the pump and skimmer and UV. Thanks

kau_cinta_ku
04/15/2006, 09:44 AM
the tank looks good. as for the other equipment the pump is a mag 12 great pump for your return. the skimmer IMO you should upgrade and the UV you will prob. need to change the bulb however i wouldn't bother using it. they can be good but they take away bad bacteria but also the good bacteria. i would keep the sump you have for that purpose and add a fuge beside it. but otherwise looks good

pmike25
04/15/2006, 10:05 AM
OK thanks for that info, That mag 12 pump do you have any clue the flow of it? It doesnt say anything on that label about it. The UV light ill sell than if I even can, not sure how hot of an item that is!!
I would like opinions on single or dual overflow R/R tanks, Ive read that a dual is good because if one gets clogged than no flood because of the other, but if you only have one and that clogs , well that = FLOOD, and I dont want that, so what I am thinking if thats a problem having 1 overflow, the LFS has a brand new glass 180 dual drilled RR tank thats only $471 for it, to me that seems pretty cheap. I got the 150 I have now for only 300 and it came with all that equiptment plus test kits and canopy stand and some other things, couldnt pass that deal up!! Worst comes to worst ill sell that tank and just get the 180 dual drilled tank if you guys and gals think its better off. I only want to do this once with NO mistakes!!! Ive been reading TONS of posts and articles and everyone says the same things take your time and only do it once so its doesnt cost a zillion dollars in the long run, not to mention messing up and killing alot of poor fish and creaters!! So for the last month thats what ive been doing, my poor printer is probally ready to jump out the window cause its been working overtime printing out hundreds of pages of much needed reading materials!! Thanks to all that have taking their time out already to help me and for all the ones about to take some time out and help me!!! THANKS:D

kau_cinta_ku
04/15/2006, 10:44 AM
the mag 12 is 1200gph at 0 head. the uv light should sell, some ppl still use them. as for the dual overflow, they are good to have but ppl don't have alot of prob. with only 1 overflow along as you keep up on maintnance. and with a dual overflow you will get more flow and better surface skimming. so mainly a matter of what looks good to you. as you alos have to remember it will take up more room in the tank with dual overflows.

pmike25
04/15/2006, 10:54 AM
True True!! OK well that helped me with that step. So the next step for me I guess would be to match up a refugium for the 150RR. Im trying to get one built from a guy who is a member of this site, ive seen his work and looks like he does excellent acrylic work, just hard getting in touch with him, hes a busy guy!!! After I get the refugium than I will consider what else I need in the stand and than build the stand to accomidate all the equiptment. So im up for suggestions on future equiptment I might need, Im going to go the theory of money is no object to have a correct setup, that means it just might take alittle longer to get things going, but im going to take my time, I have a 65 salt going now that will keep me occupied for now!!! Its just a basic setup due to me not knowing to much about reefs yet, but my brain is being filled with some good info.

As far as lighting, this is my plans. Ive seen the Coralife Pro MH's with the actinics and moons in it, Im thinking about getting the set up that has the 3 250watts MH's, this should be ok for a 150 tank I have right? The tank is 24or25" deep, that should be enough penetration right?

Konadog
04/15/2006, 10:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7181323#post7181323 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pmike25
And the reason for me learning how to post pics is due to Konadog , Thanks for helping me!!!
:rollface: Looks like I created a monster :eek1:

pmike25
04/15/2006, 11:01 AM
LOL, are those pics too big??? Im just trying to let the people know whos reading this post what I have and what the stuff looks like!!! Sorry to all the 56k users!!!Probally takes awhile to load.

Stay tuned people PLEASE I just thought of something I want to ask about the 150 I have, its got instead of the plastic NON see through braces on top, it has pieces of glass, im going to take some pics now of it and post them in like 3 mins!!!!

BRB.....................................

kau_cinta_ku
04/15/2006, 11:02 AM
for other equipmet i would suggest either an ASM or euroreef skimmer. you will need some flow in the tank so think about either a closed loop or have extra powerheads in your tank. you want a min. of 15x turnover and depending on what you want to keep could become more of 40x turnover. heaters (i would get 2 smaller heaters rather than 1) good test kits i am not sure what kits you already have. the lighting you have is a good fixture and should be fine for about anything. an RODI unit check out purlyh2o great systems and good prices and costomer service. a fuge which you already have planned. a refractometer to check salt (much better than a hydrometer) i would also suggest a pinpoint or milwalkee ph meter they work much better than test kits. a thermometer. hope that helps and if i think of more i will let you know.:D

Konadog
04/15/2006, 11:05 AM
Mike, I wouldn't use any covers (plastic or glass) over the tank. You need it to be open to air for better gas exchange, and cooling (evaporation).

pmike25
04/15/2006, 11:07 AM
OK is this a option or does this come "stock" with some drilled tanks, I just want to know if this can be a potential future problem for me!!

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/bb0831cb.jpg http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/ecb5368b.jpg

kau_cinta_ku
04/15/2006, 11:11 AM
not sure if they are an option or not but if your using a canopy i wouldn't even bother with the glass pieces as Ken said

pmike25
04/15/2006, 11:16 AM
OK but if I take those out will that weaking the structure of the tank, ie the glass from all the pressure of the water against it? Because ive noticed every tank seems to have 1 or more braces at the top, or is that just for the glass tops

And Im not planning on using any kind of glass or plastic pieces on the top, I know that it slows the gas exchanges and dissapates the lights.

Thanks kau_cinta_ku for your info that did help with the equiptment choices

Also thanks to Konadog for replying about the tops, you guys are a great help...

Konadog
04/15/2006, 11:30 AM
You don't want to take those braces out, they are there for support. I thought that you were talking about covers, not bracing. I had a center brace on my 100 gallon like that, just keep it clean, that's all you can do.

pmike25
04/15/2006, 11:38 AM
OK thanks, yeah I should have wrote that out alittle better on what I was planning on doing as far as the tops go, NO tops for me!!! OK Im going to clean that tank and fill it up and leave it overnight to see if theres any issues with leakage. For some reason my brain is not letting this 180 dual drilled tank go to rest, to me its a really cheap price and all. Im really thinking of maybe getting it, only because its brand new and the silicone is new and everything else, I have no clue how old this 150 tank is, theres no tag at the bottom like most tanks have, it was either removed or never had one. Hmmmm what to do what to do, my poor wife, shes in the middle of all this and has NO clue what Im talking about when it comes to this!! I need to educate her alittle I think!!!

180 RR dual drilled BRANDY NEW or this 150 single drilled tank that I have no clue how old it is, that is the ???????? If I can just get past this milestone than I can move on to the next!!!!

What would you do?????LOL

pmike25
04/15/2006, 11:42 AM
Haha the wifey just got on my case because I interupted her NASCAR veiwing about this tank!!!!! LOL OOPS

How can I sell her in this hobby!!!!!! She stares at the 65 like for 3 hours a day, she has some interest I think!!!

pmike25
04/15/2006, 02:54 PM
:rollface:

kau_cinta_ku
04/15/2006, 03:58 PM
my wife was the same way when i first started out. but she is from indonesia so the ocean reminds her of home. so at the start she was only intested in the tank and as time went by and she came to a LFS and seen all the diff. corals and such that is what got her involved more, cleans the tank, feeds, tops off the water. ect. some of the easier things but it shows that she wants to help and learn a little. as for testing and such she don't care for that still:p

pmike25
04/15/2006, 04:03 PM
LOL im sure my wife will come along as well !! Welp I think Im getting ready to head out to that LFS and buy that 180 dual drilled, Its been on my mind for awhile now and I think thats the better way to go, escpecially for only $471. Now im going to be selling the 150 I have as well as most the equipt. ie. skimmer and UV light.

When I pick it up ill post some pics, not that anyone doesnt know what a 180 looks like but im excited that I learned to post pics!!! LOL:D ;) :D :cool: :rolleyes: :rollface: :mixed:

pmike25
04/15/2006, 04:51 PM
OK just got back from the LFS, Picked up the 180 dual drilled tank, BUT now we cant get it out the truck!!!! Its too heavy for just the my wife and I, she doesnt think she can make it into the house with it ,,so to be better safe than sorry were going to call in some back up, anyone wants to help!!!! JK:D ...As soon as some help arrives Ill get it out and take some pics, Its a AGA, I feel sooooooo much better now having a brand new tank over a used one,

If anyone is from my area and wants to buy a drilled 150 tank let me know, ill give you one heck of a deal on it (ill even clean it up for you!!) and the canopy and stand as well im getting rid of, and im also getting rid of the UV sterilizer and Skimmer and Im pretty sure the wet/dry as well.Theres pics of it on the 1st page of this thread. If you want to see more let me know and ill take some more for you!

:rollface: :rollface: :rollface: :rollface: :rollface: :rollface:

Konadog
04/15/2006, 05:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7182119#post7182119 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pmike25
Haha the wifey just got on my case because I interupted her NASCAR veiwing about this tank!!!!! LOL OOPS
Man, I like your wife!! Sundays during the race is when I do my water changes.

pmike25
04/15/2006, 06:00 PM
LOL yup shes all about NASCAR, shes for Kasey Kahne, I think only because she thinks hes cute!!!! LOL Hes doing great though this year after wrecking everyone last year!! Im a 20 fan go Tony and I like many others also!! :D

pmike25
04/15/2006, 06:02 PM
Also Konadog I got the 180 just a hour or so ago, so thats the one that im going to be setting up !! I just feel soooooo much better that its new and has dual overflows, I can sleep easier now!!

Konadog
04/15/2006, 06:11 PM
Nice tank, take your time setting it up right since you bought the right tank!

My driver was Rusty, but he went and retired last year :( not sure who if for this year. I'll pick someone next year.

pmike25
04/15/2006, 06:17 PM
Yeah Rusty was awsome and Im not really to sure about Kurt Bush in his car, he better stop wrecking people !!! Ohh man my wife again, she wants to make it clear that she started liking him B4 she even knew what he looks like!! yeah right!! LOL..

Also trust me Im going to take my time, I know that I have only 1 shot bascially with setting this tank up. I DONT want to say "I wish I would have put this in the tank when I first set it up" So Im asking lots of questions and doing LOTS of reading, as mentioned b4 my printer wants to jump out the window after all I have been printing!! Im up to almost 9" of a stack of paper and on the second ink cartrages!!!

What do you recommend for this 180 as far as skimmer?

Konadog
04/15/2006, 07:31 PM
Euroreef and ASM are great skimmers that are reasonably priced.

pmike25
04/15/2006, 07:33 PM
Okey dookie Ill start looking for them on line somewheres. Thanks:thumbsup:

Not sure if your allowed to say web sites on here, but if ya are can ya pass a good one by me? Thanks

Konadog
04/15/2006, 07:38 PM
Your allowed as long as you don't work for the ones you list.

First, click on the sponsor button at the top of the page and look thru them, some of them even offer RC discounts.

ASM info can be found here:
http://www.asmskimmer.com/

EuroReef can be found here:
http://www.euro-reef.com/index.shtml

pmike25
04/15/2006, 07:41 PM
You are the man!!! Thanks again and again....I can assure you I dont work for any of them!!!! I wish I did I can probally get a big discount!!! Then I wouldnt feel so bad when Im ordering a zillion dollars worth of stuff

Thanks again, Im looking them up now!

pmike25
04/15/2006, 07:46 PM
OK Im not really sure of the series of skimmers but how is this one for my 180? ASM G4 Plus Protein Skimmer

Konadog
04/15/2006, 08:02 PM
A G4 would be plenty for your 180. ASM skimmers need to be in a sump because they leak (I have one), so be sure to check the foot print and see if it will fit in your sump. You could probably get by with a G3.

Be sure to check out other skimmers before you get one, don't just take my word, get other opinions :D

kau_cinta_ku
04/15/2006, 08:05 PM
the G4 is a good choice i have the G2 i am using for my 46 gal. but am setting up a 75gal. and i like the way the skimmers work. BTW i would also have them add the gate valve mod to it as it works wonders on dialing the bubbles

pmike25
04/15/2006, 08:05 PM
OK I will, I was just seeing if I was heading in the right direction with trying to pick one out.

Im planning on getting a refugium and putting it in there, alot of people and articles ive read, they say there great and almost a must for a RR tank. I hate to ask you a ton of questions but your the only one thats helping me right now. But do you know of a good one? And most importantly what size? I thought ive seen a fuge calculator on here, ill try to find it again, but theres some sayings I read that through me for a loop!!!!!

pmike25
04/15/2006, 08:07 PM
OK kau_cinta_ku Thanks.. So your the 2nd person who had positive feedback on them as well as a review on their web site!! Thanks again

kau_cinta_ku
04/15/2006, 08:18 PM
for a fuge/sump/return go as big as you can alow under your tank in the stand. the more water volume the more stable your tank will become.

and don't worry about asking to many questions, thats how you learn. and thats what were here for is to help others start off right:D

pmike25
04/15/2006, 08:23 PM
Thats pretty awsome, thanks I/we really apperciate it alot, I DO want to do this right the 1st time. Wheres a good place to find the refugium at? Theres a guy on here that builds them but hes hard to get into touch with, but he does awsome work! and thats what counts to me! But ill take other suggestions to see an about price.:thumbsup:

alski4
04/15/2006, 08:48 PM
Sent pm on 150

pmike25
04/15/2006, 08:58 PM
K Replied

Konadog
04/15/2006, 09:32 PM
As far as the refugium goes, you might try to find a used 60 gallon + tank that you can convert to a refugium. You can also have one built for your needs. I have a 60 gallon tank with three dividers in it, first one is for the skimmer, second is a refugium, third is the return section. Very simple to do.

pmike25
04/15/2006, 09:40 PM
Do you by any chance have pics of it??

Konadog
04/15/2006, 09:49 PM
Here are some pictures before the tank and plumbing were done:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/9086Tank_filling.JPG
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/9086Sump_and_Stand.JPG

The skimmer is in the section on the left now that it is done.

pmike25
04/15/2006, 09:56 PM
How long has your tank been up for? It looks good and probally much cheaper than buying one! Thanks

Konadog
04/15/2006, 10:05 PM
My 225 hasn't been up for very long yet, here's the full story:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=759531

My old 100 gallon had been up and running for 5 + years, and before that it was set up for about 8 years (my old house) with a 5 year break in between.

pmike25
04/16/2006, 07:20 AM
Damn, now thats a stand !!! Very nice, Did you have the refugium thats on your 225 on your other tank? OK well is it at all possible that I can build the refugium that you have WITH your permission? I will NOT steal someone elses idea without asking them 1st. If you dont mind can you somehow tell me the specs of it. Ill go out and get a 75 gallon and build the stand around that. Im going to settle with the ASM G3 Skimmer, so the area that holds that needs to be at least that big with little room to work around the area in case its needed. Thanks gain and Happy Easter!

Konadog
04/16/2006, 10:34 AM
My sump was not on my old 100, it's new for this tank. It's just an old tank, divided into three equal sections, with bubble traps between each section. Feel free to borrow the idea (I did :) ) Check out the DIY forum for plenty of ideas on sumps.

Happy Easter!

pmike25
04/16/2006, 10:47 AM
OK and Happy Easter to you and everyone that reads this!!!!

I went on the DIY section and some things that people write are Chinese to me!!! I did get in contact with the guy who builds them on here, so im waiting for him to return my PM, And thatll determine if I will build one or not, I just hope he still builds them!!

cyclops23
04/16/2006, 11:17 AM
if you're looking for a good skimmer for a good price, check out h20tropicals.com. they sell blemished euro-reef skimmers for really cheap. i just got mine in the mail the other day, it was originally $280 and i got it for $145, and i can't even see any blemishes!:D. haven't had time to set it up yet. from one newbie to another, good luck and happy easter!

pmike25
04/16/2006, 11:22 AM
Thanks man I apperciate the help I will look them up... Happy easter

pmike25
04/16/2006, 02:11 PM
Heck yeah there cheaper!!!!:thumbsup:

pmike25
04/17/2006, 02:44 PM
FINALLY got this monster out my truck!!!!

Im excited so heres some pics, yeah I know ya already know what they look like, but its like a toy for me!!! :D

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/796215e9.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/43b30e08.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/46f6b8a2.jpg

pmike25
04/17/2006, 04:18 PM
Question, I am planning on building the stand my self as well as the canopy, ok question is, Can I use 4x4's as the MAIN supports for it? I built one for a 125 I usta have and doubled on the 2x4's and Liquid nailed it, it was one sturdy stand!!! But now were going to be hitting over 2200lbs with this 180. I think 4x4's will work good as the main supports, but would like to hear some other opinions about this. Now the 4x4's arent going to be the only thing holding it, there will be some 2x4's and than the outside wood for finishing off. Do you think thats enough?? Thanks guys and gals........:thumbsup:

pmike25
04/22/2006, 08:01 AM
Hey there, Ok Ive have since started building my stand for the new 180. But that not the reason for this post, the reason is and unfortunate event made me find something really cool, ok on Tuesday I had to bring my wife to the ER, while we were there sitting for hours, well lets say I got alittle board and to try and keep the wifes spirits up I started joking and snooping around the room we were in (hey who hasent!! theres nothing better to do!!) Well I came across an item to which I have found very usefull with the hobby of salt water aquariums. Its called Secondary Medication Set and is used for IV's!!! Ok OK OK I know some of you probally think what the heck does this have to do with this hobby, well to answere that question, its a great item to use to acclament fishies and other things that go in your tank. And yes I asked b4 I took it, but I have a feeling I would have tried it anyways!!! Take a look at it, maybe it can help you as well.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/8e6e1389.jpg

pmike25
04/24/2006, 01:05 PM
OK heres the stand in the making, The corners are going to be pillers and the top of stand where the bottom of tank is going to be fancy crown moulding, bottom with be fancy base moulding, than once its all done, its going to be stained a redish color, more pics comming as progress proceeds!!!!

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/24480a34.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/2e1fd36f.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/2e1fd36f.jpg:eek:

goda
04/24/2006, 02:26 PM
kinda sad i could tell you were from florida by lookng at your gradge door

( EVIL HURICANES)

anyways. good pump ya got there. take it apart and clean it tho

kau_cinta_ku
04/24/2006, 02:30 PM
the tank and stand are looking great. good find at the ER they are great to have in the hobby.

pmike25
04/24/2006, 02:36 PM
Thanks guys, yeah FL does stink with the hurricanes!!!! Got some more pics comming up of the stand. Stay tuned!!!!

pmike25
04/24/2006, 03:01 PM
OK got a few more things done, Now im in the process of building the lip up for the crown moulding.......

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/758c6af0.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/c9c1b575.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/d4a2f53d.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/b0901ed3.jpg

pmike25
04/24/2006, 06:26 PM
OK, I think Im done for today. Heres so far what I have done, still got to build it up more 3/4" fill in holes and corners than crown or fancy trim, havent decided yet......

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/68baa709.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/787bcc39.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/88e0032a.jpg

pmike25
04/25/2006, 12:43 PM
Alrighty, this is what I have completed this morning, I still have to fill in holes and some more sanding. Any suggestions???

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/59581e5b.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/89097131.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/09d423d2.jpg

landragon
04/25/2006, 02:48 PM
Mike, it's looking really good. You do fine work. Are you going to paint it? If so which color? What did you decide about a refugium? Have you ordered a skimmer yet? The ASM is a good choice. Get it online, as the store can't beat the price. Let me know if you need chaeto for it. I have about a quart or so I am not using. It is pretty full of pods too. It will give you an excuse to come see my tank. How long before it's wet?

pmike25
04/25/2006, 03:01 PM
Hey man, thanks its taking me alittle to get it completed but im taking my time, Im going to stain it, probally a redish oak kind of color, not sure on that yet, as far as a skimmer, im goin to get the ASM G3 for it, as far as refigium, im trying to find a 75 gallon tank for that and need to know the deminsions on all the acrylic sections for it, as im not to sure on how to make it, yeah id like to see your tank and I would love it if you can come here and see my 65 and this new 180. As far as when itll be wet?????? Hmmm im not sure of that myself!!! I still need to order the lights and get tons of LS and LR for it, but 1st I need to get the (75 gall tank) refuigm and the skimmer and I need to get the bulkheads from you guys, than run the plumming, cant wait for that, that kinda stuff I like as well as building things out of wood.!!!!

pmike25
04/25/2006, 03:53 PM
Hey Jamie have you guys by any chance get any 75's in yet??

kau_cinta_ku
04/25/2006, 03:54 PM
wow really love the way the stand is turning out, and will much better IMO stained rather than painted. i am also getting ready to build my stand and canopy for my 75 gal. hopefully soon and may use your ideas:p if thats cool. but i have seen alot of nice ideas so not sure yet. are you gonna make a canopy also? keep up the beautiful work

pmike25
04/25/2006, 03:58 PM
Thanks alot Kau_cinta_ku appreciate it, yeah im planning on staining it, 1st conditioning it than staining than sealing it. Yeah go right ahead and use my ideas if you like. And yes once I order my lights and they come in than Im going to build a canopy for it.

fishfinger
04/25/2006, 04:13 PM
I was banned by Nanook for being a baby potty mouth...buh bye.

:wavehand:

nanook was here:D

pmike25
04/25/2006, 04:22 PM
GOOD

pmike25
04/25/2006, 04:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7246240#post7246240 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishfinger
I was banned by Nanook for being a baby potty mouth...buh bye.

:wavehand:

nanook was here:D

Thanks nanook much apperciated!!!!

Nanook
04/25/2006, 04:30 PM
No problemo, I love taking out the trash!

Nanook:lol:

pmike25
04/25/2006, 04:31 PM
Ya awsome thanks, the trash def needed to be taking out and burned!!!!!

Konadog
04/25/2006, 10:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7244854#post7244854 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pmike25
Alrighty, ............. Any suggestions??? Fly out to California and finish my stand!! :D Your project is coming along very nicely.

Cutiewitbooty
04/25/2006, 10:24 PM
looking good. I would think that a 180gal is better than a 150, but it all depends on what you want to do :D Good luck

pmike25
04/26/2006, 07:16 AM
Thanks guys and gals!!!

Konadog - Alright next flight is at 10am, be right over!!!! Thank you apperciate it!

Cutiewitbooty_- Yeah Im happier with this 180, now I gotta get that 150 out the garage

More pics comming today, gonna do LOTS and LOTS of sanding, 1st starting off with a gritty paper than working to a 150 grit , and finalize it with 220 for a nice and smooth (baby's butt) finish!! Ohh and put some base moulding on it also. Next thing is going to be choosing the color of stain, Im thinking a nice deep redish stain? Not sure got to see what the good ol HD offers. Im thinking of using some EXT. sealer and than some EXT. satin white paint for the inside.

pmike25
04/26/2006, 07:36 AM
This is just showing the top, thats what I got completed last night, filling and sanding!!

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/2e3a1f34.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/cd5df11b.jpg

pmike25
04/26/2006, 11:53 AM
OK, this is bascially what its going to look like, the doors im still figuring out how I want to lay them out, I think im going to do double doors for each opening. The only thing left is to do a final 220 grit sanding and sand the base once that dries. I might put some decoritive trim along the bottom of the base moulding. If any one has any suggestions please feel free to splur them out!! Ohh and I still need to put a floor in the cabinet, but I have to get the refugium/sump tank and skimmer to figure out exactly how much clearance I need for maintiance and whatnot, Ill probally start sealing the inside and paint it today as well. Im thinking of also running a dedicated electric line to the tank and build a electric panel (sockets) inside the cabinet so the electric wires look clean and neat :D Anything else????

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/a6ef7a4f.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/50916728.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/6226519a.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/1f1d38a5.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/96c54697.jpg :D

kau_cinta_ku
04/26/2006, 03:56 PM
beautiful. but after looking at it more i was wondering why you flip floped the mouldings on the corners from the rest of the stand? for example you have the rope moulding on the bottom part of the top half on the corners but on the main part of the stand it is on the top. just curious

pmike25
04/26/2006, 04:15 PM
Because if you look at the pillers towards the top theres already moulding there, when I put the rope moulding all the way around wifey and I thought it was alittle too much moulding by the pillers, took away from them, so I put it where it is now!!! Thats my method of madness for that I guess!!! OUCH my fingers are KILLING me from tooooooooooooooooo much sanding!!!But the wood is smooth as a baby's behind!!!! Still havent done the 220 grit yet, Im thinking of getting a glove or sanding block 1st!!!

kau_cinta_ku
04/26/2006, 04:19 PM
that makes perfert sence. yeah a glove would help or a sanding block or you will be staining it blood red from your fingers:p

pmike25
04/26/2006, 04:32 PM
LOL very TRUE man.. indeed!!!! Although I am heading towards a redish color!!!! LOL J/K that would be horrible!!!!! :D

pmike25
04/26/2006, 06:55 PM
Does anyone know of a good place to order LS and LR from??

figuerres
04/26/2006, 08:53 PM
http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/
:)

pmike25
04/26/2006, 09:05 PM
Thanks figuerres , That'll help

pmike25
04/28/2006, 12:11 PM
OK, its Friday and I have done alittle more to the stand, Ive painted it a nice aqua bluish backround, the pics really mess up the true color of it. I have started to build my flow points for the top rim of the tank, to make sure this tank has NO dead spots. I also picked up some Pre Stain and some Stain for it, The wife and I are now thinking if we should just do one color or if we should do the body in one color and than the trim in another. Not sure yet on that one. But heres some pics I took today to show what has been done so far. Im waiting for a guy to buy my 150 and get me his 75 for my sump/refugium, than the floor will start getting built and the plumbing can start. Sorry 56K users these pics are probally killing you.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/9a0eb441.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/75450891.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/ff508049.jpg

landragon
04/28/2006, 12:19 PM
Unless you use a large pump, or valves on the first few outlets otf the manifold, you won't get much flow at the final exits. Trust me. And a pump that will do that to two sides will pull too much through the megaflows to be quiet. Also the carrier pipe should be larger than its outlets. It would be now that I would make the decision on how to get the flow right. Use a closed loop with a dedicated pump, I reccomend the Dart by Sequence. Or use two wide dispersal powerheads. Obviously you get what you pay for between tunze/seio systems, and the EcoTech Vortech is too new to know yet. If I could do it again, I would not do a CL and would have gone with a two Tunze set up with controller. I still may cut out the Dart and put in the Tunzes. Or gone with a 125 and the Dart. Wanna buy a Dart?:) P.S. come check out my skimmer thread http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=833546
the stand is looking great.

pmike25
04/28/2006, 12:32 PM
I am planning on using a big pump for that as well as valves.... I just PM's you for further details!!!

Dr. Chek
04/28/2006, 01:21 PM
tank is looking great! Love the stand as well. I too would like to start up a tank that size...
where did you pick that tank up? Did you special order it with the overflows? (I'm just trying to figure out what tank I should get...) how about the price?

pmike25
04/28/2006, 01:24 PM
I got it from a LFS and the price was really good 5 beans out the door!! ( can I say that??LOL) Not sure if your allowed to post prices!!! Wasent a special order. I just got lucky on this tank so I had to scoop it up, Thanks also for the compliment

Dr. Chek
04/28/2006, 01:28 PM
kool beans!
are you going to incorporate a power center (GFCI) into your stand with switches etc.?

pmike25
04/28/2006, 01:32 PM
Yes sir!!! Im going to get to that once I get the 75 im using for a sump/refugium, when I get that im going to build a floor in the stand and see what kind of clearance I have left with that and the protien skimmer in place. Than where ever theres room left im going to build a power center for it. Ill be posting pics for that when I get to that point, Im going to try and keep this thread going the whole way through of me bulding this tank, and Im going to do a matching canopy once I get my lights.

Cutiewitbooty
04/28/2006, 02:38 PM
wow thats looking really nice :D

pmike25
04/28/2006, 02:44 PM
Thanks there Cutiewitbooty (Amber)!! Like the name also!! LOL Yeah shes comming along, Im going to be testing the stain on a scrap piece of wood here soon to see what it really looks like.

tkeracer619
04/28/2006, 02:49 PM
Hey did you sell the uv yet. You should keep it and put it on your quarenteen tank.

pmike25
04/28/2006, 02:57 PM
Yup UV sold, If I need one id rather just buy a brand new one, I really want to start out everything brand new in this tank if I can!!! And so far everything is new, but now comes the expensive part IE. LR, LS, Lights!! Ouch thats gonna put a dent in the wallet!!!

pmike25
04/29/2006, 11:46 AM
OK I got the trim stained so far, It doesnt really look this red in person, my camera is making it look way more redish for some reason. Tommorow I will be applying the polycrylic, Im thinking a semi gloss, got to go to HD and see how shiny that is in the poly.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/a08a2ee9.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/3cc85eb1.jpg

pmike25
04/29/2006, 01:34 PM
OK this is what I looks like when the 1st coat is dry. I really HATE the way this camera is making it look!! Its really NOT that red!! Anyways maybe Ill try taking some more pics after the sun goes down and thatll maybe help the camera get better color in the pics.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/f038847d.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/34e090ec.jpg

figuerres
04/29/2006, 01:53 PM
Hey depending on the camera you may need to check / set:

Color Tempature ( a value in Kelvins like 6500)
color balance / white level

saturation

for example color temp was set for daylight but you shoot indoors it throws the colors off.

do the other colors in the room look "right" in your pictures??

get a white wall or a sheet of the "110+ white" printer paper

and shoot that in the same room and then see how the photo looks.

as a last resort use the tools in a photo program to adjust color balance / saturation.

Hope that helps.

pmike25
04/29/2006, 02:25 PM
Thanks, I shall try some of those suggestions!!!

pmike25
04/29/2006, 02:38 PM
OK I tried some things, I think this looks alittle better, In person the stand looks more redish,brown. I think its just my camera, its a Olympus D-560 not the best but also not the worst!!! But thanks again for your help!!

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/8760a715.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/839c9189.jpg

kau_cinta_ku
04/29/2006, 03:14 PM
wow i really like the color of that stain. actually the darker red brings it out great. can i ask the color of stain? and also did you use oak for the wood?

pmike25
04/29/2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks, the stain color is Sedona Red 222 Minwax, its the regular Minwax not the gel. Thats only one coat, wifey and I are thinking of leaving it like that, It seems to have darkend up some since it dried, I took those last 2 pics about an hour or so after I got done staining it. It looks alittle browner/redish in person, hop on the next flight to FL and Ill show ya~!!!!! LOL The only thing left is PolyCrylic or some other type of wood protector. The wood that I used was all select pine, just tons of sanding, 1st started with 100 grit than 150 than 220, I sanded till my skin was raw!!!

Cutiewitbooty
04/29/2006, 05:54 PM
that looks really good, that color really makes the stand stand out, nice job!

pmike25
04/29/2006, 05:57 PM
Thank you very much Amber, its getting there, the sealer should make it POP even more!!!

landragon
04/29/2006, 06:26 PM
No the halides will make it pop. Don't you know anything yet, Mike? :)

pmike25
04/29/2006, 06:28 PM
Ha Ha Jamie!!!!Thats it, Im yanking all my pics and leaving........JK!!............... LOL, yeah that'll also help, Ive been doing my research, I read ya thread, food poisoning STINKS!!!! Been there B4!!! :eek2:

landragon
04/29/2006, 06:34 PM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/relleker/redo.jpg
here is my take on color. It is from the hour I spent there yesterday, and hope it is similar. I like to tinker. If it is worse, sorry.

pmike25
04/29/2006, 06:36 PM
Thats much closer, looks alittle more brownish/red in person, but much better doooood!!!!

landragon
04/29/2006, 09:11 PM
I look at the stickers on those tanks thre days sometimes five a week.

pmike25
04/30/2006, 07:08 AM
True True!! today ill be sealing it, getting ready to go to the good ol HD!!! (My second home)!

pmike25
04/30/2006, 10:22 AM
Alrighty, This is a pic of one coat of Urethane, Im going to sand it when it dries (220 Grit) than do a second coat later this evening......

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/9b89c1d1.jpg

pmike25
04/30/2006, 05:26 PM
Jamie, I got the 75 now, when you have the time can we go over more exstensivaly the demensions of the glass that I need to get cut? I just need to know the height of each glass piece. I would like to get to that this week sometime. Thanks man

kau_cinta_ku
04/30/2006, 09:05 PM
very nice. love the way it shines. if you need any help with sump let me know. i just built mine and love the way it is working
sump--->return<---fuge. do you know how your gonna set yours up yet?

Konadog
04/30/2006, 09:11 PM
The most impressive thing is that it was all done on white burbur(sp) carpet! My wife would have killed me for even thinking of coming near carpet like that with any stain. :)

pmike25
04/30/2006, 09:43 PM
kau_cinta_ku--- I would love to see a design from you! I just got my 75 gall for all that, and thats what I bascially want to do.

Konadog--- LOL yeah shes cool, she doesnt care, I give her the good ol "Nothing will happen" line !! But NO stain on carpet so far!. My biggest challange is keeping my 5 1/2 year old son away from it when Im staining/sealing it!!

Konadog
04/30/2006, 09:46 PM
That's why I have hardwood and tile floors until my kids move out!

Your stand has turned out beautiful!

pmike25
04/30/2006, 09:49 PM
Thanks alot, I didnt get to the sanding/sealing tonight, Had a B-day party to go to, but ill get it done tommorow and post some pics. And Im also going to build and seal the floor. For now, bed time for us!!! Good Night :D

kau_cinta_ku
05/01/2006, 04:40 AM
here is a pic. of my sump fuge. it is a 30 gal. but the same basics for a 75 gal.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/93463P4050022.JPG
i only have 1 drain which comes from the overflow to the skimmer section with the ASM and flows over the bubble trap to reduce micro bubbles going back into the main tank. the egg crate part in the return section is for diff. filter media and the left side is for my fuge. here is the design i used from another reefer that helped me out when building my own. but should use the same features on a 75 gal. tank. this was sjm's design i basically stole it and had to mod. it a little to fit my needs.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/9346371647sump-30.jpg
any more questions about it just ask.

kau_cinta_ku
05/01/2006, 04:44 AM
oh yeah forgot to add sence i only have 1 drain i am using a small powerhead in the skimmer section to get flow over to the fuge. but when the 75 gal. is going i will just T off the drain.

pmike25
05/01/2006, 07:32 AM
WOW thanks for that drawing?? Thats pretty neat!!! . I have a feeling that I will be asking some more questions!!! But for now Im goin got print that out and study it more. I had a friend come over and we went over designs for sump/fuge and thats just about EXACTLY what he figured would work best for me. So your on the right track, I REALLY appericiate you helping, these days its hard to get help from good people!!! And thats to you and everyone else lending a hand in helping out..:D

landragon
05/01/2006, 09:52 AM
Thats a solid drawing to go from, mike. Call up Pinellas , Pasco Glass unless you already have a vendor you use for work.3/16 plate smooth on one side is all you need, but one should be on two sides. This should be ground on the top for most, and top/bottom for the other.Get 3 cut at 17 1/16" x 13 1/2" and one at 17 1/16" x 14 1/2". Get one of the 17 1/16 sides smooth (but not polished unless you want to pay extra) on each piece, and two on one of the three smaller ones. This will be your elevated baffle. Use Aqaurium silicone, or GE silicone 1 for windows and doors, clear. If you want to make a media tray, I suggest a 1/2 " x1/4" strip to be added to the bottom of the area on the inside to set your tray on.

pmike25
05/01/2006, 04:18 PM
Hey Jamie, Yeah Im going to call Pasco glass and get those pieces ready. Thanks for those deminsions. I got the floor built and sealed/painted today, Pics comming right up on that.......

pmike25
05/01/2006, 04:20 PM
OK heres the floor, nothing crazy just a floor!!!!

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/23a1cc50.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/81b4f93a.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/6b5ad7b4.jpg

pmike25
05/02/2006, 03:25 PM
OK heres the second coat of sealer, dont know if you can see a differance between the 1st and 2nd coat!! This was the last coat of it, now the next step is going to be getting the glass cut for the fuge/sump tank and than plumbing. WOOHOOO I think im getting somewhere with this maybe by next decade Ill get it wet!!! NA Im hoping by the end of this month or next month ill have everything, Im still doing lots of reading to make sure Im doing this correctly. And so far the feedback from all of you guys and gals has helped me TONS. And part of this tank is due to all your help, so THANKS again. Ill dedicate parts of the tank to you people, bids are taking place to what parts!!!! LOL.....Heres some pics of it , looks the same over the net but in person doesnt look like that.............

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/2219cd88.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/3797fade.jpg

pmike25
05/04/2006, 07:39 AM
Question, Im wanting to order a heater(s) for the sump/fuge area, Which one do you guys/gals reccomend, I would like to have a good one that is easy to adjust and that is pretty accurate. Im not sure if I should get two or just one, Ive heard of people using 1 or 2 of em. Its going on my 180 with the 75 gallon tank as the fuge/sump area just incase we have some new readers!! Thanks in advance!!!

Konadog
05/04/2006, 07:55 AM
Two smaller ones are better than one big one. I like the finnex brand titanium heaters. The controllers are ok, but you can buy just the heater and get an aftermarket controller too.

pmike25
05/04/2006, 07:56 AM
OK I shall look them up after work!!! Thanks Ken Hows your tank doing?

Cutiewitbooty
05/04/2006, 07:57 AM
yeah 2 are normally better. If one of them malfunctions it wont be strong enough to fry your whole tank.

pmike25
05/04/2006, 07:59 AM
Thanks Amber... Is there any other brands to look at or just the finnax? Id like to compare a couple of them, Thanks

OK gotta leave for work, keep the suggestions comming PLZ, ill be back around 2 ish!!!

kau_cinta_ku
05/04/2006, 08:08 AM
ebo jager heaters are another good choice IMO but now I think they are called just jagers

landragon
05/04/2006, 08:19 AM
From what I heard the jago are no longer up to their old standards as far as heaters go. They used to be the heater if you wanted accurate reliabilty. I have heard many speak of the visitherm stealth if you want a stand alone. Don't get hydor or all glass, as they are made by the same company, and notoriously unreliable at my house. All 4 are off by different amounts. They used to all be off 3 degrees low. Now they vary wildly. I would reccomend titanium as the shatter possibilities are nil. And I would also reccomend a seperate controller as opposed to a stand alone. Definitely get two as opposed to one. You will get protection in the event one fails but 110v is 110v ,i believe, if one cracks open. It does not matter the wattage of the resistor circuitry inside each heater. I may be wrong on that though. Hence the titanium reccomendations.

figuerres
05/04/2006, 12:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7301604#post7301604 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pmike25
Question, Im wanting to order a heater(s) for the sump/fuge area, Which one do you guys/gals reccomend, I would like to have a good one that is easy to adjust and that is pretty accurate. Im not sure if I should get two or just one, Ive heard of people using 1 or 2 of em. Its going on my 180 with the 75 gallon tank as the fuge/sump area just incase we have some new readers!! Thanks in advance!!!

Heater??

if anything you will want a chiller for our climate!

with lights and pumps running in summer you will have "bath water" in fact I have seen my tank get to 86 a few times!!

Ok if we have a cold winter, you don't heat your house etc...
it might cool off...

but 180 + galons of water will hold heat for hours....

part of my plans to re-do my setup is to keep heat down...
I think my current rig puts to much heat from my lights into my tank.
I am thinking of rasing the lights a bit and getting some muffin fans to up the air flow.

look at how much and of what kind of lights you plan on running.
remember that a "Watt" is "Heat" when you are dealing with lights and pumps.... so say 600 watts of lights is gonna warm up that water real good....

landragon
05/04/2006, 12:51 PM
Depending on how much, if any, ventilation is aimed at the surface of the sump or tank water. I find for me running heaters and fans is much cheaper than a chiller. I get tons of evaporative cooling, but the tank loses much of the days heat in night. The heaters keep this up. If I turn off the fans at night I worry about gas exchange. Although the temp stays good.I wish I had a 2 stage thermostat to turn on the fan. It cools my tank quickly pointed at the sump.

landragon
05/04/2006, 12:51 PM
But I guess it is preference.

KAZEKY
05/04/2006, 01:14 PM
nice!

figuerres
05/04/2006, 01:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7303421#post7303421 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by landragon
Depending on how much, if any, ventilation is aimed at the surface of the sump or tank water. I find for me running heaters and fans is much cheaper than a chiller. I get tons of evaporative cooling, but the tank loses much of the days heat in night. The heaters keep this up. If I turn off the fans at night I worry about gas exchange. Although the temp stays good.I wish I had a 2 stage thermostat to turn on the fan. It cools my tank quickly pointed at the sump.

Oh I agree that the cost of a chiller is nasty !

and that I may have something to learn about cooling down my system....

can you give us some idea of your setup, volume, lights, pumps, day temp, night temp etc.... ??

I'd like to lower my day time temps a bit.... going to have to get the plans for the new stand and hood going.....

landragon
05/04/2006, 02:20 PM
Sure. it is for the tank in my current tank line. 2 x 250 watt SE MH, + 2 x 54 watt T5HO. Nothing on it runs 72, Everything on gets up to 84 with no fan on the sump. With the fan in my sump on it is 79.1 daytime. Night the heaters keep it to 77.6. With out them, with the fan on it will go to 73. I have 3 x Ice Cap 4" fans on my homebuilt light fixture. This hangs 7 " from the tank and the MH bulbs are 12" from water level. There is no glass on this fixture. All fans suck out through the top. They never run at full speed. If I have my skimmer going too it brings it to 80.2. There is no skimmer now but it was a Sedra 5000 and maxijet 1200 feeding it. House runs 74-76 degrees. I have no glass top on the tank. Total volume around 110 gallons. The fan is a Honeywell round fan from walmart. 12 dollars. Mounted on the side of my stand angled down to blow across my sump. You need a big sump for this to work though.

figuerres
05/04/2006, 04:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7304000#post7304000 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by landragon
Sure. it is for the tank in my current tank line. 2 x 250 watt SE MH, + 2 x 54 watt T5HO. Nothing on it runs 72, Everything on gets up to 84 with no fan on the sump. With the fan in my sump on it is 79.1 daytime. Night the heaters keep it to 77.6. With out them, with the fan on it will go to 73. I have 3 x Ice Cap 4" fans on my homebuilt light fixture. This hangs 7 " from the tank and the MH bulbs are 12" from water level. There is no glass on this fixture. All fans suck out through the top. They never run at full speed. If I have my skimmer going too it brings it to 80.2. There is no skimmer now but it was a Sedra 5000 and maxijet 1200 feeding it. House runs 74-76 degrees. I have no glass top on the tank. Total volume around 110 gallons. The fan is a Honeywell round fan from walmart. 12 dollars. Mounted on the side of my stand angled down to blow across my sump. You need a big sump for this to work though.

Thanks!

that helps me picture the setup and how much the fans and lights are affecting the whole rig.

so my three ideas seem right:
1) larger sump volume.
2) more air flow.
3) move the lights up some.

thanks.... in a while I will be getting with pmike25 on a new stand I am drawing plans and reseaching some costs....
when that happens I figure I'll be showing it off :D

the fun will be taking down the current tank to put it on the new stand.... I am alsmost sold on just buying a new tank ...
but then the costs really start to climb, new skimer,new pump, new lights and so on.....
Well time will tell...

pmike25
05/04/2006, 04:56 PM
Hey everyone, back from one hellashious day :( rough day today, pheewww. OK got some good feedback so far, Thanks everyone!! Ive still gotta do the reaserch on those heaters.

figuerres---Uhh oh still thinking about a bigger tank huh?!! Welp cant wait to see the design for it.

I FINALLY have everything done to the stand that I wanted to get done. Its looking better now that the cardboard is removed from the bottom :) Now that I got the 75gall what do you guys think the next step would be?? Im getting the glass for the different sections in the fuge/sump area, going to be getting heaters. Now what!!! :D Im starting to feel alittle anxiuos towards this and wanting to get everything right away, BUT I know I should take it slow and get the right things I need, so Im courious to see whats next on the list, doing this in order makes me feel like im doing this correctly.
Munchie time for me!!!:D

This is what it looks like so far!! Jamie Feel free to photoshop this one!!!!
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/fbd11157.jpg

pmike25
05/04/2006, 05:18 PM
OH and Im planning on running fans to cool the sump and top of tank. My 65 had heating issues and one stop to the local HD and about $15 took care of that problem, that tank dosent fluxuate but a degree. God im HOPPING I never need a chiller!!! Thats another "G" right there!!!

figuerres
05/04/2006, 05:38 PM
larger tank: yep thinking about it.... but I am also thinking of how much $$$ I can spend -- perhaps 6 months from now I am thinking....

well saturday I will be picking up some rock and critters from tampabaysaltwater....

so figure I'll have some photos on my web site some time sunday pm.

gotta go now....

pmike25
05/04/2006, 05:40 PM
Cool, will be looking for the pics!! Yes true bigger tank mean bibber $$$ !!!

pmike25
05/05/2006, 05:03 PM
OK guys and gals, this is very important!!! Ok here we go, I found a guy in Illinois who is selling a 72" custom MH Kit. Here are the specs as he told me:

3 x 400watt 14K Hamilton MH bulbs with electronic ballests ( Custom Sea Lights ) the bulbs are less than 4 months old, the ballests are approx 1 1/2 years old

Also has 4 x 96watts PC's which are days old

Selling them for $600 plus shipping which would be the most $60

What do you guys/gals think of this for my 180? As far as the brands Im not to familiar with them as Im still a semi-newbie to this!!!!

Feedback would be greatly apperciated on this, I told him ill give him an answere by Tommorow (Sat)

Here are some pics of them

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/45599d9c.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/c1e49184.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/a200c78e.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/bbd980d9.jpg

Thanks alot!!!

landragon
05/05/2006, 05:55 PM
I think you might end up paying more, but could easily get the same light for a whole lot less watts, which will add up to big savings down the road. This however is a very good deal. If I am correct to assume, it is Custom Sea Life, and they are now Current USA. They had some fire issues, and others, bujt I am not sure if it was on MH ballasts. IIRC it was their PC line. This may be over kill for the corals you plan. I would say to go 3 x 250 hqi with 4 x 39 watt t5ho for actinic supplenments, but I am sort of preferent to that arrangement. It will cost more now, but use 906 vs 1584 wqtts. Start to see savings immediately on this arrangement, and heat your tank less. So you might not need a chiller. Some things to consider.

pmike25
05/05/2006, 06:00 PM
True True Jamie, I DONT like the fire issues youve talked about, that scares me escpecially when were out most of the day and the lights will be on with no one home but my kittie, and I dont think she knows where the fire extinguisher is!!!!LOL maybe I should teach her!! MEOW

figuerres
05/05/2006, 06:22 PM
my current lights are 4x96 custom sea life pc

one thing: you have to order them, I have never seen the right pc tubes at any local shops.

depending on which lights ( 03, 6500k 50/50 )
a full set can cost from 80 to 150 to replace and you should do that at least 1 time a year.

they do put out good light IMHO

but for a few things you need MH lights -- small polyop coral, and clams for exaample.

for soft coral and lps many of them will do just fine on pc lights.

I am thinking of taking out 2 of the pc and replacing them with 2 mh type bulbs like 2x175

when I re-do the lighting I will also move them higher and might even keep the pc's to allow me to create a dawn / dusk effect with 2 kinds of actintic lights and only run them a few hours each.

CSL did go out a while back... never did hear why.
my balasts have been running for about 4 years w/o problems --
they are hot and do need to have good air cirulation....
I can picture a fire if they were not handled right....

but up on a plywood board with good air flow I think is fine -- for my set anyway.

pmike25
05/05/2006, 06:32 PM
Thanks figuerres-- Im taking into consideration on what Jamie wrote about those lights im interested in will be to much for what I would like to keep in the tank. I just wish there was a basic set up for these reef tanks and not a zillion options!!! But im starting to understand why you need x amounts of lighting for certian things you want to keep and why more wattage isnt always the best. So I think im going to reconsider my thinking and just go with the 3 250watts MH's and PC's or the T5's.

Hows your stand ideas comming along Denny? Im courious to see whats ya got so far!!!!

landragon
05/05/2006, 06:57 PM
Pc's are more accepted to date, Mike, but they have seen their day. Study the geometry and you will find they are far inferior to linear forms of fluorecent lighting. T5HO is the most efficient so far that has been adopted to aquarium use. Especially when combined with the individual reflectors of the gullwing shape. Go T5HO or VHO or get a combination of one of those and MH. I think when we were talking you said you really liked shimmer lines. I think all t5HO setups are best for SPS and clam tanks, and for mixed reefs, VHO if mostly soft and LPS, or fluorecent and MH for full mixed reef. I know it is confusing, but think about what you want to keep. Mh 250 DE HQI reflectors can handle 400's and 175's with the purchase of a 12 dollar new bulbclip IIRC. You may change the bulb and ballast easily w/o changing the fixture extensively. New t5 VHO if ever available will be easily integrated into a T5HO system with new bulbs and ballasts. With a VHO system you can use the new t6vho which will use the same endcaps. You have more flexability starting off with one of these setups. Don't worry about any new technology upsetting your plans. Buy the most logical now. Get electronic ballasts for the MH, and get IceCap for the T5HO or VHO, Get high quality reflectors. This can make or break the efficiency of a given system. Cool everything with fans and put heatsinks on the ballasts. This will extend the life of them. I have had all the forms other than VHO on my tanks and like the setup now most.

pmike25
05/05/2006, 06:57 PM
Tommorow Im going to order the skimmer, this is the skimmer I would like for the 180( ASM-G3 ) with the gate valve mod, would that be enough for the 180 plus the sump/fuge area? Thanks

landragon
05/05/2006, 07:05 PM
For a light fish load and all softies/LPS his might do. I would go up to the g4 personally. Allthough this is a bit more on the wallet and power grid.

pmike25
05/05/2006, 07:06 PM
OK Jamie, alittle confusion but I do see some of what you are talking about. By what you are saying yes I like the shimmering affect on the bottom and I do like what you say about the effeciency of the T5HO. Ok ill settle with that, Ill start some research on where I can find them. Im going to order the skimmer so I can get started on the sump/fuge and plumbing

pmike25
05/05/2006, 07:10 PM
Jamie the g4 or g4x??

Johnsteph10
05/05/2006, 09:52 PM
Hey Mike,

I have just caught up on your thread and I must say I'm impressed! I'm glad you are taking it slow (although it is hard!!!!!!) and doing things the right way!

Your stand is wonderful.

I would go with the g4x if you are set on ASM. Have you looked at ER yet? Is there a price limit on the skimmer?

The 180 is a nice size.

I think you should be ok if you go with 250w MHs x 3 and then supplement those with either T5s or VHOs. You can either order what is called a retro-fit kit (the components that you put in your hood) or a complete "kit" in which everything comes together and you just either place it on your tank or hang it above...it depends on your preference - usually retrofit kits are cheaper.

Did you get your pieces of glass back yet for your sump?

If you have questions, just ask! :)

kau_cinta_ku
05/05/2006, 10:45 PM
i would also go with the g4x unless your footprint won't alow it in the skimmer scetion of your sump.

figuerres
05/06/2006, 05:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7313054#post7313054 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Johnsteph10
Hey Mike,

I have just caught up on your thread and I must say I'm impressed! I'm glad you are taking it slow (although it is hard!!!!!!) and doing things the right way!

Your stand is wonderful.

I would go with the g4x if you are set on ASM. Have you looked at ER yet? Is there a price limit on the skimmer?

The 180 is a nice size.

I think you should be ok if you go with 250w MHs x 3 and then supplement those with either T5s or VHOs. You can either order what is called a retro-fit kit (the components that you put in your hood) or a complete "kit" in which everything comes together and you just either place it on your tank or hang it above...it depends on your preference - usually retrofit kits are cheaper.

Did you get your pieces of glass back yet for your sump?

If you have questions, just ask! :)

mike -- retro-fit will give you the parts and you can just build the hood / canopy to your own layout.

when I got the csl lights I just found I had to cut apart the abs box they were in to make my current housing for my lights.

also I like what landdragon has been saying ....

about lights:

watts are heat.

footcandles are how much light hits a one foot area at a one foot distance.
lumens are another tech. way to mesure light.

and the "spectrum" of light is anothr tech. way to look at light.

ideally we would get a light that has a wattage of 0 but like 10,000 foot candles and other parameters like that....
then it would not add heat but wuld light the tank !!

I think of watts as like smog, you don't really want it but if you have a car that burns gas you get some -- like it or not.

also if you look at a film of diving the light that enters the water is filtered by the water.
so think of what part of a reef you want to keep.

for example:

shallow laugune (sp) has one type of parameters (water flow, light, nutrients, corals etc....)
the reef crest has another -- crest pounding waves, super oxygenated, lots of light, very low nutrients etc...
sea clif --- down on the face of the reef where the lights are blue all the time and flow of water is strong, home to soft corals that are very lovely but many are hard to keep.... caves also, sponges
and stuff...

that's 3 examples there are at least 3 more I can think of for classic reef areas...
for each one the water flow, light level and food change in amount and kind.... if you pick one "zone" or "Biotope" then you can plan lights, pumps etc.... for that and buy corals and such that match that....

hope that helps some.....

pmike25
05/06/2006, 06:24 AM
Good morning all,

Johnsteph10--- Thanks for the compliments, good way to start out the morning!!! I just looked up the euro reef skimmers and seeing that the one I could use costs about 800, I would rather for now stay with the asm!!, Ive heard many good things about both. I havent got my glass yet but will pick them up this week sometime. Been REALLY busy with work lately, it seems like everyone wants something done to their houses ALL at the same time!!! But thanks again for your input and welcome to my diary on the 180!!!!

Sam-- Yes my footprint alows it, BUT Im going to have to go with the G4+ ONLY because the G4x is 6" taller and I think with only 2 1/2" clearance to the braces on the stand, ill probally have some troubles cleaning and maintaining it. If you think thats enough room let me know, I really dont know where the parts that need to be cleaned are located!!!! Maybe 2 1/2" is enough room, Im just not sure.

Denny--Im starting to get a grip on the lighting thing, I think so anyways!! As far as what I want I have to mimic what they like. What Im planning on having in the tank isnt anything that lives really deep, or at least I dont believe they do, I went over the items Id like to keep in the tank with Jamie and thats why hes suggesting those specific lighting. And I do like the fact that in the long run thier more efficent and will cost less in the power bill section the T5HO's.

Welp its off to another busy day at work, gotta improve peoples houses!!!! Be back around 3 ish. Thanks all again

landragon
05/06/2006, 07:40 AM
I know you are considering ASM. Someone mentioned EuroReef. I will start this with a disclaimer. I have an issue with the management of ER and anyone reading this should take note of this fact. They are built very well. You have to go through their sister company for service and parts. They work about the same as similarly sized ASM made skimmers. Their constructon is better. If you get one get a blem model . It will save you and you may not notice the blemmish at all. I would buy an ASM personally after seeing both in action and speaking with the owners of each company. If you want to spend $800+ get a H&S. Do not look back. If you think you will get into SPS and need a very clean tank, get better than ASM/EuroReef or get a bigger model. They do work very well. HTH and not confuse more.

figuerres
05/06/2006, 12:41 PM
Hey folks....

take a look here: http://www/Photos.aspx?AlbumID=4

this is a 55 with older rock I got about 4 years back
from TBS and a few corals from other places... after florida storms and some moves I had to get some new stuff from TBS.

in a day or so I will get some better photos and more as the tank settles in....

Thanks Richard !
( the guy who owns tampabaysaltwater.com )

figuerres
05/06/2006, 02:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7315701#post7315701 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by figuerres
Hey folks....

take a look here: http://www/Photos.aspx?AlbumID=4

this is a 55 with older rock I got about 4 years back
from TBS and a few corals from other places... after florida storms and some moves I had to get some new stuff from TBS.

in a day or so I will get some better photos and more as the tank settles in....

Thanks Richard !
( the guy who owns tampabaysaltwater.com )

DOH! sorry folks that link should read:

http://www.figuerres.com/Photos.aspx?AlbumID=4

My Bad !

more photos later as things stettle in and I can find my tripod!

pmike25
05/06/2006, 03:12 PM
wow cool looking stuff on those rocks denny!! Your site is comming along with the pics

Jamie, man this can never be easy!!!LOL OK where in the heck do you find blemish models of the ASM skimmers, I remember someone telling me about them but dont remember who are where!!!

figuerres
05/06/2006, 03:24 PM
I just added a few more pics on my site

http://www.figuerres.com/Photos.aspx?AlbumID=5

has some decent close-up's

this is an older kodak dx4900 4mp with a macro lens.

gets some nice detail on the coral and stuff...

pmike25
05/06/2006, 04:34 PM
WOW very nice, ill have to get a good camera once I get this 180 going, Im sooooooooo busy now with work I have no clue when itll be done!!! But I will put aside time for that and your stand, cause I do love building things!!!

kau_cinta_ku
05/06/2006, 05:42 PM
blem. euro reef's (http://commerce2.i2net.com/able5stores/stores/33/category.aspx?SID=33&Category_ID=548)
there you go:D

pmike25
05/06/2006, 06:03 PM
Sweet Thanks SAM!!! :D

landragon
05/06/2006, 06:22 PM
Yeah like he said above. You won't find blemmed asm's. The material is cheap enough to start over if they mess one up. But a blemmed euro will be harder to break than a perfect ASM. If you never intend to drop it or hit it with a wrench, get the ASm.

There are at lleast two schools of thought on live rock sourcing. Some prefer the instant biodiversity of TBS. I do not. My first tank was set up with this rock, and I had more negative hitchicker, from gorilla crabs, to algaes, that I sold it all to a friend with a 300 and 10 tangs. He soda watered the crabs and the tangs made quick work of the algae. Which left it looking like boulders devoid of most life. Catch 22 I guess. You can certainly, and will, receive lots of life, and even a few corals, which can only be found on TBS. But I don't care much for these corals, and find them to be novelty bonuses, and that's it. I know others love theirs, but I had a different opinion. It is very biodiverse, nut this comes at the cost of weight, as it is very dense, you will need to purchase more. Also, there is debate as to the source of the base rock put in to the ocean to aquire the life that makes it live rocsk. SOme find it is no problem, I find it looks an awful lot like phosphate, mined from Florida's heartland, when broken. This is not a good thing as this limestone will break down and slowly release the phosphate back in to your tank, inhibitting calcification of good algae, clam shells, and stony coral skeletons. It may also lead to further algae issues. Not many people looking for a very clean reef go for TBS or keys rock. It has it's place and I am not calling it junk. I do not and probaly will never want it in MY reef. I am not after biodiversity at every curve. I am looking for more control then it allows. If you want the freshest, most full of life rock, buy the TBS. Keep in mind some, if not much, of this life are things we in the hobby look to eliminate from our reefs. My rock came with an awesome brittle star that I thought was the coolest. An arrow crab too. These both were removed after eating something from my display. These i essentially payed for. Twice. I prefer deepwater Tongan, kaelini, indonesian, and properly cured/cooked hatian .In that order. I am bullheaded though and like what I like. I have a mix of Tonga DW and Hatian lettuce leaf. along with the one tonga branch I have. Very unorthodox but...
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/relleker/FTS.jpg

pmike25
05/06/2006, 07:04 PM
Jamie, do you have a specific place you preffer to get your rock from? If so can you send a link my way, Thanks By the way, is that your tank??

landragon
05/06/2006, 08:25 PM
I can not comment on the source of my rock other to say it was locally purchased, and not from the store I work at. Some of it is no longer available locally. I will not comment further as it would break my RC UA. My comments would be used against me as they would not be positive. I will not name the source privately either. I hope you understand. Sorry.

I will do my best to find you a good source locally. For kaelini, go pick it out from Exotic Aquatics in Dunedin. 580 near Belcher. $$$ but very nice . Similar to my tongan. Maybe even nicer colors. Lettuce leaf available a few places in Tampa. Indonesian, only online now. But nice.

It was my tank. 3 months ago. It looks better now. I have no current pic as I am still coral scaping it. Too many changes. About o sell a couple corals as they do not work in my master plan. And I just bought a bunch of different blue zoas I need to place.

figuerres
05/06/2006, 08:47 PM
if you are interested on this page:
http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/liverock/index.html

is a link to a paper done on sveral sites
http://www.hccfl.edu/br/asprograms/aquaculture/files/F00CE52705F64671B8C98D0868BFB18F.pdf

that may be of use.

pmike25
05/07/2006, 07:19 AM
Jamie---alrighty, Im not sure I understand why you cannot say where you got it from when you would be only helping those people make a sale, but than again I dont know the whole story, but its cool :) LOL

Denny-- wow thats a long report, but ill do my best to read up on it, believe it or not but I have to work today for alittle, busy, busy. I think im going to get the bulkheads today from the LFS since I have to get water again. I need to get a ro/di very soon, its kinda a pain getting water every few days. I know ill probally pay a ton to get it locally, but with how busy I am itll be worth it cause I dont really have the time now to keep going to the fish store! So if anyone knows of ro/di's I can get locally Id appericate it.
Thanks

figuerres
05/07/2006, 10:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7319375#post7319375 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pmike25
Jamie---alrighty, Im not sure I understand why you cannot say where you got it from when you would be only helping those people make a sale, but than again I dont know the whole story, but its cool :) LOL

Denny-- wow thats a long report, but ill do my best to read up on it, believe it or not but I have to work today for alittle, busy, busy. I think im going to get the bulkheads today from the LFS since I have to get water again. I need to get a ro/di very soon, its kinda a pain getting water every few days. I know ill probally pay a ton to get it locally, but with how busy I am itll be worth it cause I dont really have the time now to keep going to the fish store! So if anyone knows of ro/di's I can get locally Id appericate it.
Thanks

Yeah, I got a Kent Marine RODI last year...

I can see already that the up-front cost is well worth it.

I have the Maxxima HI S unit @ 35GPD.

as I can't do in-wall pumbing in my apt I used the local Home Depot and got some fittings and a bundle of what they call "ice maker" tubing.

I just added a set of valves under a sink so I have a kind of "T" with shut off for the sink and the RODI, then my RODI output is on a long icemaker tube that I can just run out as far as I want to reach...

so I uncoil the tube to put it in my sump and turn the valve for regualr top off use....
no buckets to haul and it runs slow so no big water shock duing top off.

only down side is it's manual -- if I forget I could make a mess :rolleye1:

that's another thing I am trying to figure out...
get location where I can run the tubing and do an auto-shut-off
w/o tearing up an apt. I only rent !
:)
I hope my next move will be into my own house!
working on it but darn real estate prices are nuts around here.
and I really want to stay close to my job!

pmike25
05/07/2006, 10:52 AM
I understand, with gas prices and all staying closer is a better idea!! Where did ya get ya RO/DI from??

figuerres
05/07/2006, 11:32 AM
Marine Depot.

the unit comes like a kit with some instructions...

not hard to put together.

my unit is a 4 stage with a TDS meter and a flush valve.

the only costly parts to maintain are the RO membrane and the
DI cartrige.

I used a DI before the RODI and what a difference.

bare DI and I had to buy DI refills every month @ about $25 a pop.
with the RODI doing a lot of pre-filer before the DI I can do a DI refill about every 6 months.

the "pre filter" costs about 5 bucks
the carbon block is about 15 bucks
the HI-S DI is about 30 bucks
an RO memberane is about 75

you should be able to use the same RO membrane for about 4 years.
the DI will vari but figure at 6 months to have a new one

seems like the water here is turning my pre filter yellow really fast so I may start swaping them every 2 monthts
and the carbon block every 3-4 months.

I saw a *HUGE* drop in pest algea growth after the change.
I would guess that DI water was still passing on a lot of crap from tap water like phosphates and silicates and nitrates that the full RO-DI package is trapping

my TDS meter shows about 185 ppm on the source side.
ZERO on the output side most of the time.

here is the unit:
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=KM1491

pmike25
05/07/2006, 12:08 PM
Can you buy them anywheres locally??

kau_cinta_ku
05/07/2006, 06:01 PM
from what i understand most local places just sell RO filters like home depot. so IMO your better off spending the extra for the rodi. i bought the optima pro and love it from www.purelyh2o.com also has great costomer service. one thing i did find out though is check with you water company and make sure if they are using chlorimines in the water. if so get the unit with the chlorimines filter. as most filters will not take it out. also will kill your other filters much faster. and you start getting nitrate readings. if you get a chance call up Bryan at purelyh2o and he will talk it all over with you to make sure you get a unit that fits your needs.

landragon
05/07/2006, 06:53 PM
Chloramines mostly pass through the carbon, and completely through r/o membranes. If you do not use di after r/o, and have municipal water containing chloramines, you must use prime or amquel, or similar to detoxify the r/o water. Di will take it out, but it does exhaust it more quickly. I find the Chloramine removing filters to be more expensive than bulk di resin to filter the same amount of water.

pmike25
05/07/2006, 07:05 PM
Thanks Sam, I already ordered one that I got a great deal on, but THANKS again for helping, I CANT say that enough!!!

Jamie thanks again for your input, but as mentioned I already got one ;)

I got the RO/DI and 2 overflow accs kits, next will be picking up the glass and than a return pump ( not sure which one though ) I already have a Mag but with the amount of watts it puts out Id rather buy one thatll save me some $$$ on the electric bill!! So ill most defently be selling the Mag 12., than plumbing, and than umm I think I can get the tank wet and order some rocks/sand!!! woohoo Im getting closer and closer, cant wait guys!!!! Unless im forgetting something, which I HOPE I am not :D

landragon
05/09/2006, 05:59 PM
http://www.reefermadness.us/Tonga_huni.htm

That is about as close to my rock as it gets mike.

pmike25
05/09/2006, 08:18 PM
Cool, Thanks Jamie.

ToTaLCHaoS13
05/10/2006, 11:47 AM
pmike25 - I just caught up on this thread and thought you would like to see my homemade stand. Ironically I used the exact same stain as you!
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/1/117674IMG_0451.JPG
I am curious...are you planning on building a canopy as well? Here is how mine functions.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/584/117674IMG_0621__Small_.JPG
As you can see the overlaping wood does a great job of preventing light from escaping through the seams. I should note that the cooling fans are all located in the top of the canopy. Works great and keeps them out of sight!

pmike25
05/10/2006, 02:21 PM
ToTaLCHaoS13--- Hey there, Thats a nice stand, Yes I am planning on building a canopy to mimic the stand, I just have to get my lights first before building it. The Sadona Red is a nice choice of colors, it was that or a mahogony color and the sedona won!! Your a Harvick fan I see, Hes doing pretty darn good with both Bush and Nextel series, if he only chose to pit that last race he would have swept the whole weekend most definatley!!!

pmike25
05/30/2006, 04:56 PM
OK got my lights!!!! woooooo hooooooo They are right now set up as 150's but I have 250 ballast that im going to convert them over to. And it also has T5;s in it, A nice looking fixture for a DIRT cheap price!!! A member on here gave me a killer price for it and the two ballasts and the electrical switches THANKS you know who you are!!!! ;). Heres some pics of the lighting.....also got my RO/DI unit!!! Im getting there....

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/bd217582.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/d22ea7c4.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/1d2cf35d.jpg

figuerres
05/30/2006, 06:12 PM
Moving Along I see... :)

pmike25
05/30/2006, 06:16 PM
Yes, Its taking me alittle longer than expected, but its getting there. Hows your plans comming along?

kau_cinta_ku
05/30/2006, 11:11 PM
it always takes longer than expected:p i found that out as i am upgrading to a 75 gal. so far 3 monthes later than i planed. lol

pmike25
05/31/2006, 07:10 AM
Yeah, the reason for me taking this long is because 1- my wife popped her kneecap out of place so she isnt working with me now, so Im down a helper, and 2- Now Im slammed with work, which is a good thing though, not complaining at all about that.

I am going to start to build the canopy, I have to make a supply run today so while im at the HD ill pick up some wood for it. Id say another 2-3 weeks and than there will be water in it. Thats what Im hoping for anyways, we will see if that happens!

Sam- how is you tank comming along?

landragon
05/31/2006, 01:20 PM
Good deal mike. Sorry I never got back at you about my MH. So many things in my life now. Do you still need me to test your water? I lost your Ph # and can't call you.

pmike25
05/31/2006, 01:45 PM
Thats ok Jamie, PM'd you

pmike25
05/31/2006, 02:11 PM
Damn Jamie, great measurments on that glass, I just picked it up and its an exact fix .now just got to figure out where they exactly go!!!..Thanks

pmike25
05/31/2006, 02:17 PM
Jamie or anybody!!, How high off the water should the lights (MH 3x250) be??, trying to figure out the canopy!! Thanks

pmike25
05/31/2006, 06:59 PM
OK, I started the construction of the canopy, Im going to mimic the stand but the top will have fancy crown, you can see where im going to bascially lay the fixture for the MH's and T5s, its the braces in the middle, this fixture has a lip around it and it will perfectly fit into a frame. In the last picture you can see I got the glass cut for the baffels for the sump/fuge (over to the right by the 75 gall). Ill try to tackle that tommorow, I just have to figure out where to put them and measure out the foot print of the ASM G4+

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/f496a934.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/fed761c8.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/155a25e3.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/78f69c12.jpg

kau_cinta_ku
05/31/2006, 07:33 PM
looks good. as for how far off the water the lights need to be, alot of ppl try for 12" or more. but that is just what i have read as i don't use MH.

pmike25
05/31/2006, 07:48 PM
Sam- Thanks....Right now as the canopy sits its set at a height of 11" from water line, but I made it so I can adjust it if needed, I can probally go up another 4" or so, so that should give me plenty of room for adjustments.

pmike25
06/01/2006, 05:23 PM
OK, canopy just about done, ran out of rope trim for the sides but that'll be done tommorow... just got some holes to fill and more sanding, than conditioning and staining than sealing.

Heres some pics.......

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/04dd9955.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/42b91f01.jpg

pmike25
06/01/2006, 06:33 PM
Hey guys and gals, I have a question after taking this canopy off, this thing weights Id have to say about 50 to 60 lbs and than the lights and fixture have to weight about 40-50lbs, is that going to be a problem on top of this tank?? If it is I can just add a cable to each side of the canopy and find a beam in the ceiling and support it that way, Please let me know what ya thoughts are on this!!!!! Thanks

daywn
06/01/2006, 07:23 PM
turning out very nice.you seen my canopy when you where here?mine weighs a good 50+ pounds plus the two ballests on top.my lights are about 12" off the water's surface.i was alittle nervus at first of the weight,but so far so good.did you find a used skimmer or are you buying a new one?

pmike25
06/01/2006, 07:31 PM
Hey Paul, Yeah Im going to be alittle nervus about it also...As far as the skimmer goes if I cant find a good deal on a used one than ill buy the new ASM G4+.

figuerres
06/01/2006, 07:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7479655#post7479655 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pmike25
Hey guys and gals, I have a question after taking this canopy off, this thing weights Id have to say about 50 to 60 lbs and than the lights and fixture have to weight about 40-50lbs, is that going to be a problem on top of this tank?? If it is I can just add a cable to each side of the canopy and find a beam in the ceiling and support it that way, Please let me know what ya thoughts are on this!!!!! Thanks

from my exp. with a 55 and a wood deal I built:

My new rig will put the weight on a framework behind the stand.

a tank *can* hold a heavy canopy but I'd rather keep that to a minimum.

as long as the canopy rests square / plumb and does not put extra weight on one spot.

build a "shelf" behind and above and put balast and electric gear up there, then just make the canopy tall and hide it.
then make end panels and front panels that come away from a frame.

if the frame is light weight and only holds the "shell" around the top of the tank then you can attach the lights to the wall / celing and have only say 10-20 bls on the tank.

and that gives room to hide fans and other gear up top.
also the way you have built the base you could build 4 "columns" to help with the load if you wanted to.

but I like the idea of using the wall to hold a frame just above the tank. then attach panels to the frame and hang lights.
then vent hot air up with fans and to cool the tank.

pmike25
06/02/2006, 04:13 AM
Ill see if I can work that into the design, thats a good idea about supporting it to a wall, Ill see what I can do.

figuerres
06/02/2006, 08:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7482337#post7482337 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pmike25
Ill see if I can work that into the design, thats a good idea about supporting it to a wall, Ill see what I can do.

what I have been "toying with" on my plans is to make a stand that acts kind of like a cantilever.

so that the back of my frame holds up the top with the lights.
in my case that makes my base and tank come out from the wall more.

what I am thinking of thoug is to use that space behind and above the tank to hold wiring, switches etc....
for example a closed loop -- the pipes and pump.
or any other things I want to stick into the tank from behind or above.

and have it all hidden.

in fact the top could go way up near the celing of the room and make it look like a built-in but would just be a big empty box thats open at the top.

lot's of room then to hang lights and adjust height :D

just more variations on the idea....

PS: also a large open top gives another plus -- heat can go up.
my current canopy is a closed finished top.
big mistake! holds heat and then tends to radiate the heat into the tank. so keep that in mind also.
look at say Radioshack 4 inch muffin fans that run on a 12 volt dc power ... about 60-100 cfm air flow.
you can get a low cost transfomer and wire it up to several of the fans.... or get 2 or 3 tran pairs of transformers and fans if you are worried about how to run them on one.

then you can attach them in the works two ways:

1) blow fresh air accross the top to cool the water.
2) put some above the lights to draw air up and out the top of the canopy.

pmike25
06/02/2006, 04:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7482799#post7482799 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by figuerres

1) blow fresh air accross the top to cool the water.
2) put some above the lights to draw air up and out the top of the canopy.

Those two things I am planning on doing, thanks for the Radio Shack Idea I was going to buy fans from an online fish store and probally pay 3x more!!

You got some good ideas with your stand/canopy!!!!

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/04dd9955.jpg

figuerres
06/02/2006, 05:26 PM
Thanks, btw the Shack is probably *NOT* the cheapest just the easyest to locate.

you may want to search for computer parts on the net.

the common case fans are 4 inch muffin fans, they run on 12 Volts DC go look at a pc fan with the power connector.

the two leads are the 12 vdc lines.

for example www.jameco.com
or http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=163619

4.95 each

and there are many others.

some ofthe ones sold to computer moders have a thermal sensor built in that will vary the rpm's based on temp.

in general a larger fan at a lower rpm is going to make less noise than the same fan at a hier rpm.

also you may find some 5 to 8 inch fans if you look

also be sure to get any wiring well sealed so that no water or salt get in... :)

pmike25
06/02/2006, 05:50 PM
OK cool, yeah Ill make sure there sealed, also thanks for those links you provided! A friend of mine just got my sump/fuge glass pieces siliconed in place. The fuge is on the right side and the return is in the middle and the skimmer will be on left...Heres some pics.....

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/caaefd6e.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/291f79f9.jpg

pmike25
06/03/2006, 04:12 PM
Wood filling and sanding is complete!! Thank god...
Got the 1st coat of stain on it, heres what it looks like so far........

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/79bddc3d.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/de4f4c30.jpg

kau_cinta_ku
06/03/2006, 05:19 PM
wow that looks very nice. your comming along quite well.

as for my reason for not having my tank done yet, well the wife got stuck in the hospital for 2 weeks. so those bills come first:p

pmike25
06/03/2006, 05:31 PM
Sam- wow sorry to hear that. I hope shes ok. Thanks for the compliments, hope things are ok with your wife...

kau_cinta_ku
06/03/2006, 05:37 PM
oh yeah she is back to 100% just wish my savings were back to 100% also so i could get this tank done:p

pmike25
06/03/2006, 05:39 PM
Thats good to hear that shes ok !! Im just getting to the expensive part! IE. pumps, Tunze's, Rock, Sand etc...

Don Lino
06/03/2006, 11:13 PM
WOW, that is beautiful. Just caught up with this thread, I dont know why its not on the first page. Thats nice. What size tank is that fuge?

Don Lino
06/03/2006, 11:13 PM
WOW, that is beautiful. Just caught up with this thread, I dont know why its not on the first page. Thats nice. What size tank is that fuge?

Don Lino
06/03/2006, 11:14 PM
sorry for the studder.

kau_cinta_ku
06/04/2006, 03:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7492436#post7492436 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pmike25
Thats good to hear that shes ok !! Im just getting to the expensive part! IE. pumps, Tunze's, Rock, Sand etc...

yep those are the spendy parts of tank building:p all i have left for mine is a internal overflow box, lights, and a pump for my closed loop, and some more rock. not to many things but the spendy things.lol

i thought you were gonna go with a closed loop rather than powerheads? i may be wrong, but let me know how you like those tunze's. right now i am using seio's as i can't afford the tunze's but so far i like them. however tunze's are much better as a few club members have them in their tanks.

pmike25
06/04/2006, 07:51 AM
Don Lino - Thanks for the compliments, The sump/fuge tank is a 75 gallon tank. The tank is getting there slowely but sherly!!

Sam- I was going to do closed loop until I was introduced to the Tunze's. Ive read about them and they seem to be the way to go for me. I know I can get away with some Seio's also but I like the fact that the Tunze's are controllable. I also know that the Seios are just comming out with a electronic controller also, but its not on the market yet, Ive heard in a couple of weeks they will be, not sure on the price of them but they cut flow from 30% to 100%. If they come out with that sooner than maybe ill try it, but ill probally just stick with the Tunzes,

The next thing on my list is the ext. return pump than plumbing, but in the middle of all that im going to start building my electrical panel......

Heres some pics of it without the paper on it, I still have to urethane it still, And yes I know I got stain on the wall!!!! I am going to paint it another color, something that will compliment the tank good, just not sure what color yet, since I do painting and such I have a million colors in the garage!!........

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/904f4407.jpg

robthorn
06/05/2006, 04:49 PM
mike I just caught up and I have to say you are doing an awesome job and it looks incredible.
something I am wondering about is you plumbing. the bulkheads you have look like they will accept a hose and a small one at that. when you were here we talked about the dart and the snapper pump and I don't think those bulkheads will quietly flow enough water. who wants a big pump they have to valve down? the pvc for the top of the tank looks like 3/4 and will cause alot oh head pressure and wasted energy and diminished flow. in a duct system you want to keep velocity up so you start with a large duct then run some feet and you take off a couple runs and then reduce the duct size a little to keep the velocity up and take a few more runs off and then reduce the duct again all the way down the line. if there is only a long run you would go so many feet and reduce and so many more feet and reduce until you get to the end. this is because of friction loss but you want to make sure you don't cause alot of extra friction too fast. the way yours looks it will have nothing left at the end of your runs.
as far as live rock I would suggest getting it locally at fish and other ichthy stuff or finz of tampa. the gulf rock to me is like jamie said. I like a cleaner look than it comes. the shapes also seem better from the pacific and lighter therefor costing less/volume. more holes for small fish and things to play in. these stores normally have larger pieces in stock. these will probably be your best stores for livestock along with a couple others I can give you once you get water in it. I would probably also buy the sand after your tank has been running a few weeks. that way you can finish curing the rock in your tank without fouling the sand.
there's something else I wanted to say but can't remember I know it was 2 pages back so I will go find it.
later really looks awesome,
robert

pmike25
06/05/2006, 05:51 PM
Thanks alot Rob, appericate the positive feedback, I still really really LIKE the way ya tanks looks when I was there last night.

OK welp I got started on the elect. panel. I am going to sand it nice and stain it the same color of the stand/canopy than seal it. And than trim out the actual switch box for a nice clean look. I think Im going to locate it into the stand but I have to wait till the plumbing and sump/fuge and everything else is in there before. I havent gotten to seal the canopy yet because I had Jury Duty today :( . Nothing worse than HAVING to go to that and wait 7 hours for NOTHING :mad2: Not to mention loosing a day of work with the pay I get :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: Anyways im getting over that now!!!

Heres some pics of the panel as of now, my back is killing me so im taking a break......

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/57eced31.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/f12933c8.jpg

pmike25
06/05/2006, 07:28 PM
OK done with the electrical panel, well at least hooking all the wires up. Hope this might help someone out if there looking to make one, its very easy.....

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/da8d65b0.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/f502ba17.jpg

pmike25
06/06/2006, 02:36 PM
OK today I have gotten to the doors, I have them mostly completed and this is bascially the design of them, I also got the hardware for them and the door handles are a nice kinda a darkish polished chrome with a redish wood insert that closely matches the stain and the canopy doors will have round knobs like them also. Heres some pics of the doors and some other fancy stuff I am going to be adding to the canopy and stand......

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/47f07f69.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/9aeb315c.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/9240cad4.jpg

robthorn
06/06/2006, 03:22 PM
the vision to create amazes me. my creative side was never born. I look at stuff and just can't figure out what to do. if it's mechanical or electrical I am all over it.
looks great

pmike25
06/06/2006, 04:43 PM
Thanks Rob, As of 4 years ago I had NO clue I could do this kind of stuff either!! Just figured it out one day when I needed to build something. Back in the day if you wanted a stereo sytem or home theater system I was all over that ohh and building computers. Now I am totally out of date with that kind of stuff accept computers. Pm'd ya buy the way. :D

landragon
06/06/2006, 06:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7504342#post7504342 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pmike25
OK done with the electrical panel, well at least hooking all the wires up. Hope this might help someone out if there looking to make one, its very easy.....

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/da8d65b0.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/f502ba17.jpg
So make me one :lmao:

pmike25
06/06/2006, 06:11 PM
LOL, I can man if ya like me to....

OK done pre staining and staining the doors, heres what they look like so far.thats my camera making them look sooooo red, there the same exact color as the stand/canopy...

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/ded0f191.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/3fde165b.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/84a561ae.jpg

Waxxiemann
06/06/2006, 07:17 PM
dude, sweet. I LOVE the electrical. I wish I had the skills for that.

pmike25
06/06/2006, 07:18 PM
Thanks man, appericate it!! Its pretty easy to do, I can walk you through it if you like....

Waxxiemann
06/06/2006, 07:22 PM
I'll add you to my buddies and get back to you on that! Thanks, thats awesome.

pmike25
06/06/2006, 07:23 PM
No problem at all.

Waxxiemann
06/06/2006, 07:31 PM
Great, Mike. Thanks again! I'll get back to you as soon as I am ready for this project .... so many nice people in this hobby.

landragon
06/06/2006, 07:34 PM
Are you gonna put full shots of that Cobra up.

daywn
06/06/2006, 07:35 PM
what's the car in the back ground,a cobra?

pmike25
06/06/2006, 07:39 PM
No prob at all, alot of people has helped me , so I dont mind giving back!!

LOL na its not part of this hobby!!Is it allowed?

Paul- Yes its a Cobra

landragon
06/06/2006, 07:47 PM
It is your thread. A COUPLE or so shots would be well suited. Just son't dedicate a thread to the car outside the lounge.

pmike25
06/06/2006, 07:54 PM
I took it out for a spin today,....... Its so nice ......., I love it,.......its soooo fast:)

landragon
06/06/2006, 08:07 PM
It seats two right? nudge nudge wink wink.

pmike25
06/06/2006, 08:08 PM
LOL yes sir re!

pmike25
06/08/2006, 06:57 PM
OK, Heres what I got done so far, I got the T-5's installed minus the reflectors, I thought I was going to install them in the MH fixture but the end caps are too big for the area so there going into the canopy, which is better cause they will be closer to the water line.

The reason I dont have the other doors up yet is because I ran out of trim and had to get some more, so there delayed a day!!! Tommorow the full canopy and stand will be done oh and the canopy door handles. Im going to paint the inside of the canopy gloss white and seal it as well....

Heres some pics as it sits now.........

Tommorow I will snap some better shots of it completed. Plumbing and pump will be in the works starting this Saturday, than im getting it wet!!! Only a few things left to do before I can say the major stuff is complete.....

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/145f25bd.jpg

landragon
06/08/2006, 10:05 PM
do you need reflectors?

robthorn
06/09/2006, 06:31 AM
hey mike I am still trying to get to that plumbing list. we are getting our granite today so hopefully I can do it while they are installing it.
the wood looks good.

pmike25
06/09/2006, 07:22 AM
Hey Jamie, Id like to get reflectors for it, to much light escaping through the top of the canoppy, id like to try and have an open top to vent the heat out!

Hey Rob! , OK cool, Im going to have a light day today, so if you do find the time for the materials list, ill go out and get everything today so we hopefully wouldnt have to do it tommorow.

robthorn
06/09/2006, 09:55 AM
will do I am leaving in half an hour and it shouldn't be a problem.
also you only want ice cap reflectors for t5. I think jamie agree's with me on that. they appear to be the most reflective plus john has them in stock for the same price as others. I am not sure if any other stores in the area have them or not.

landragon
06/09/2006, 10:34 AM
I do agree to a point. The IC reflectors a much better at focusing the light rays into a narrow beam, which results in more overall par at par sensors, and considerably better par and lux at greater depth. That said, I would NEVER use IC reflectors on a shroom/low light tank unless very deep. I find the TEX to be a better reflector for this situation, as it generally results in less bleaching/light adjustment issues for new corals. Or upon adding t5ho to an exiting setup. To me they each have their place in the hobby.

For build quality, the IC are better, allthough the old ones suffered numerous rusting clip/corroding mirror issues fro salt spray. I have a three foot IC from the original release of them that is pitted, and the clip broke in half. I had it for the same amount of time and next to a Aqualux, now defunct, that is still kicking, pit free, and requires a light wiping to clean it. Much like the newer generatin IC ones.

robthorn
06/09/2006, 10:57 AM
yeah johns new clips on the 4 footers are plastic. at first I thought the plastic was cheaper but I see now that they don't chip paint or rust. as far as these reflectors in this tank I think they are only for actinic so more blue more blue :)

bjonesjr1
06/09/2006, 12:04 PM
Just got done reading your entire thread, very very nice... I can't wait to get into a tank that size. I think you have done a great job with everything and its all turning out very nicely. I love the DIY part of this hobby, I can't wait to build my own stand for a big tank some day. I love the car in the background of the previous pages, and the foot on the bottom of another picture is kinnda of funny, how it made into the picture ??? :) :)

I talk to robert alot and he is a smart person in this, he has helped me with many things and has given me lots of advice. thanks again rob. When are you going to have water in the tank? Can't wait to see the rest of progress on this tank, and its great to know someone else in the area. Looking forward to talking to you about tanks, Good luck this weekened with the plumbing on your tank and like I told rob, don't smell the glue too long... On my tank I'm in the process of building my sump right now, just did some stand mods so that I could fit a nice big sump under their, & in the process of figuring out whats going to be best for my tank. Might borrow the design from here if thats ok, best drawing I've seen, but as far as me saying great job on the tank, talk to you later. Will be following the progress on this.

pmike25
06/09/2006, 12:58 PM
Thanks alot Bobby for all that positive feedback, you can use any idea you like that you see on here. There are tons of nice folks in this hobby and I wouldnt be where im at without them, so heres a BIG THANKS to all of them who has helped me and are going to in the future!!! We will try not sniffing to much glue this weekend!!! :D I basically inhale paint all day since that is part of what I do for a living!! Ohh and If we make good progress in the plumbing than Ill get the tank wet probally this week, Ive got a 75gpd RO/DI unit so with the volume in the tank plus that sump I figure itll take about 3 days to totally fill up...Thanks again

Rob- I just got back from a friends house and picked up 2 Ice Cap reflectors for those T-5's, Im thinking I might add 2 more in the near future, not sure though, hey Im getting very very excited for tommorow and getting this plumbing started, cause after thats all done then its time for some aqua in it. Ohh and also can you bring an extra ballast for me please??!Thanks man!!

Jamie- Thanks for the great deal on those blinding reflectors, there great and in perfect shape.

pmike25
06/09/2006, 05:07 PM
Ladies and Gentleman........Dunn......Dunnn....Dunnn....Dun.....Duunnnnnn

The stand and canopy are completed, well theres alittle tweeking to do but I dont think ya can see that from pictures........

Heres the pics of this beast, Im pretty happy with the way it turned out......

Here we go folks.....( pics are with the T-5 on )..............

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/1f2b6ded.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/755160b4.jpg

pmike25
06/10/2006, 08:22 AM
Today, a member from RC and I are going to tackle the good ol plumbing, heres the supplies we have so far for this........

Should be posting pics of the progress also, hope this can help someone starting thier own plumbing project!!!

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/21d0b06c.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h192/pmike25/aa011b12.jpg

kau_cinta_ku
06/10/2006, 09:15 AM
looks like you have enough:p but i don't see any ball valves?

Don Lino
06/10/2006, 10:01 AM
Kool, Let us know what you have and some sizes please. Thanks...