PDA

View Full Version : Live rock in a new tank

peeto13
04/26/2002, 01:41 PM
I am considering using a buddy's live sand (200 pounds) and live rock (200 pounds) for my new reef tank. They are both coming from a established (3 years) agressive tank that has never used copper. I have heard that there may be too much protein in the rocks and the sand to support a reef tank. Does this make sense? Should I think twice about using this rock? Any suggestions/commments would be appreciated.

holeinone1972
04/26/2002, 04:03 PM
If you are positive he never used medications of any sort, I would consider it. Why is he getting rid of it. Where did he get the sand and rock? If it was me take the rock if it is real live rock, and just a small amount of sand from the top of system and put it all on top of new sand.

REEFGIRL1
04/27/2002, 07:28 PM
test for phosphates first, if he has been using tap water it is probably not a good idea

Ritteri&Bubbles
04/27/2002, 07:53 PM
I 2nd the phosphate test, make sure he hasnt been using tap water. Or water that has been "conditioned" either.

Ironreef
04/27/2002, 09:00 PM
IMO if there was never any form of medicine used I would use it even if he used tap. all you need to do since it is a new reef?? is let it run in your tank for a few weeks to let the excess nutrients leech out. You need to cycle anyway. especially if you get the good buddy rate$$$