PDA

View Full Version : Flame Angel Reef Poll

falconut
04/13/2006, 12:46 PM
As the title says, I simply want to know how many people are currently keeping Flame Angels in their reefs. Doesn't matter what types of corals, unless you want to specify.

I know they are 50/50 in reefs, just looking to see how many people are taking the risk.

smleee
04/13/2006, 12:53 PM
Had a model citizen. I think the ratio is more like 75/25 in favor of good behavior....just the feeling I get from RC.

eee

duec22
04/13/2006, 01:04 PM
I tried one, but it died from cyanide poisoning I think. It only lasted about 48hrs. If you can, find out where your LFS is importing them from. However, I don't remeber where the good spots to get one are, hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

Greg129
04/13/2006, 01:26 PM
I'm tagging along on this one. I plan on keeping soft corals so I'm not sure I should try a Flame.

Greg129
04/13/2006, 01:35 PM
For those who chose, "they occasionally nip" - maybe it would be helpful to post what they actually nipped?

RichConley
04/13/2006, 02:12 PM
I voted "no problems."

It nips at some corals. It also nips at glass, powerheads, rocks, food, algae, sand, and pretty much everything in the tank, so I say thats no a problem. Its a grazer.

Tangs are much worse in my oppinion.

gary faulkner
04/13/2006, 02:21 PM
Five months and no problems.

bluerage
04/13/2006, 02:27 PM
i had one for about 2 years with no probs, will deffo be getting one for my new tank :-)

twkenny
04/13/2006, 02:32 PM
Nipped at my Clams enough that I had to get rid of them. Also picks at SPS occasionally.
He will not be replaced when he goes to that great ocean in th esky!

falconut
04/13/2006, 04:36 PM
twkenny - What size & Type of clams did you have?

LOTUS50GOD
04/13/2006, 05:33 PM
3 years... no issues...

I have a mixed reef with multiple clams, softies, LPS, & SPS

I also have a large sohol that keeps him in check though...

xtrstangx
04/13/2006, 05:37 PM
Mine nips only at green open brains.. so I put a 2 liter bottle on top of my brain and no problems.

Kinetic
04/13/2006, 05:39 PM
7 months, eats all montipora, even digitata.

nips and kills acropora as well. doesn't touch any softies. I feed him twice a day, spirulina flakes, formula 1, frozen brine and mysis at night... and he still nips.

He also has eaten all my nassarrius snails' feeler antenna probe things. EVERY ONE of my nassarius is missing their feeler antenna.

he also comes out only when it's time to be fed, otherwise he swims around in the back amongst the caves. when he does come out he nips at my other fish.

bottom line: I regret ever trying this fish, I hate it, and have named it "piece of crap". I can't catch it either, and I don't wanna take everything apart to get him. Once my tank upgrade is done, he's going away. Or I'll keep him in an angler tank that i'm setting up... see how he likes it there.

KevinFJB
04/13/2006, 06:08 PM
Added one a couple of months ago and no problems at all.

northbay-reefer
04/13/2006, 06:24 PM
I had 3 differnt flames angels at different time in my reef tank with no problem what so ever ...

lebloom
04/13/2006, 06:54 PM
I've got a Coral Beauty in my 75 and would like to add a coral or 2. Anyone have problems with them in a reef or should I get rid of him?

Pekkle99
04/13/2006, 07:02 PM
Going on 5 months with mine. He's living with clams, softies, and LPS's. I did find a tear in my bubble once but I could never confirm who did it. Also got a bit territorial with my other fishes but they're all mean so he fits in perfectly :)

falconut
04/13/2006, 09:26 PM
Keep the poll going. I want to get as many as I can. Thanks everybody!

jcoopergd
04/13/2006, 10:36 PM
had mine for about 8 months - was very well behaved...then one day started taking to my xenia (no big deal....figured he was like a lawn mower) and then one day caught him nipping on the mantle of my dereusa.....4 hours later, after re-aquascaping, he was back to the store..

j

falconut
04/14/2006, 06:14 AM
Anybody that chose nipped or killed - were any of the corals nipped or killed: Hammer, Frogspawn, Torch, Blasto or Alveopora?

old salty
04/14/2006, 10:28 AM
I voted no problems though it will occasionally nip at SPS. I don't find this strange as it constantly nips at the rock. When it does nip a coral, it doesn't seem to take any more interest in doing it again so it moves on.

ojreef
04/14/2006, 11:22 AM
I have a Flame Angel in my 72 gl Bow front for a couple of years with NO problems.

I have mostly softies, Frogspawn, Hammer, colt, leather, etc. and no problems.

mtfatwork
04/14/2006, 11:25 AM
I wont do an angel or butterfly in a reef, better safe than sorry!

RichConley
04/14/2006, 12:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7176331#post7176331 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mtfatwork
I wont do an angel or butterfly in a reef, better safe than sorry!

Have you tried? This thread isnt looking for oppinions, it is looking for peoples experiences with flame angels. Its posts like yours that make people think that every dwarf angel is a problem, when from the the poll above it is pretty obvious that an overwhelming majority of them aren't.

Kinetic
04/14/2006, 01:05 PM
the bottom line is: If you spend a lot of money on corals and care for your corals health a lot, then do not get a flame angel. If you just really don't care and would rather the flame angel be fed and happy even if you lose a $100 acro colony, then take the risk.

You're investing in a reef tank with corals, then introducing a predator that might eat the corals. If you're willing to take the risk, go for it, but to be smart there are plenty of other fish to keep.

Did I mention I also hate flame angels? =)

blackie lawless
04/14/2006, 01:06 PM
Have had my Flame Angel for about 6 months. I have only seen him nip the base (not fleshy) part of a Green open brain I had. The coral has since died, however due to being extremely busy with work I let a few things go, like maintanence and feeding my corals, so I can not completely attribute it's death to the Angel.

All my other other LPS, Shrooms, Zoa's and softies go un noticed by him.

All in all I am happy I bought him. Definately the center piece of my tank. Even when swimming next to my big Naso Tang.:D

falconut
04/14/2006, 05:07 PM
Thanks everybody. If anybody else has one, please take a minute and answer the poll.

dandydan
04/14/2006, 05:56 PM
9 months, never had a problem with mine,
unless you include the dirty looks he gives me when he has to go upside down under the lettuce clip.

gibbswagon
04/14/2006, 06:01 PM
had one for 6 months! Great Fish! But i voted for occ nipping,he will try to suck xenia like spaghetti sometimes,pick at sinularia, and i also attribute the loss of the tubes on my nassarius snails to him. While he has sampled virtually Everything! i can not attribute any losses to him! he has been a model citizen and doesnt even pick at my large open brain. just my two cents! pics below!

WWW.MSNUSERS.COM/JASONSTANK

kruiswyk
04/14/2006, 09:37 PM
Wouldn't do one again. Had a flame for a couple months - my nice beautiful big leather corals stopped opening up while he was in the tank. Got rid of him and they were back to normal. I now have a Coral Beauty who bothers nothing.

Kinetic
04/14/2006, 09:54 PM
im really jealous of those who've kept them with success.

ACBlinky
04/14/2006, 10:18 PM
I've got a flame in my 65g, he nibbles at the fox coral, Xenia, and finger leather but leaves my hammers and frogspawn alone. He's fat and very well fed but eats off the rocks all day long.
I added the flame, a cherub and a coral beauty to the tank knowing full well they might nip - there aren't a huge number of corals and I'm willing to move them into another tank if they start to suffer. It took forever to find fat, healthy angels, I wouldn't give them up even if I had to go FOWLR :D

zemuron114
04/14/2006, 10:19 PM
best place to get flames are christmas islands, marshall islands and Hawaii, although the Hawaiian flames are very rare. I have seen both come in from x-mas and marshalls, and i personally like the marshalls. I believe they are handled better. The x-mas people pack about 40 flames to one box in 7" bags wrapped with 1 elastic half-a$$ed. But they are equally beautiful.

Kinetic
04/14/2006, 10:24 PM
ACBlinky, very neat. It seems like you like your fish much more than corals, which is the way to go ;)

I'm considering keeping my current tank just for the flame angel...

Mine is super fat and healthy, also a deep red with perfectly symmetrical black lines, I've never seen one so well patterned before. The LFS said he came from xmas islands.