PDA

View Full Version : are the refillable DI kits worth it

drew22to375
04/12/2006, 11:55 AM
Anybody ever use these refillable DI kits.

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/REFILLDIPACK

Was wondering how well they worked or if they really save you anything. Been paying $20 each for the cartridges.

Drew..

saltyseaman
04/12/2006, 12:06 PM
They are totally worth it. You save a lot of $ in comparison to the DI replacement filters, and less plastic goes to the landfills. They work well. I have 0 TDS coming out of my RO/DI unit using those, and it is a color changing media.

drew22to375
04/12/2006, 02:50 PM
do you know what the shelf life is. If you open a back or buy in bulk will it go bad.

Drew..

saltyseaman
04/12/2006, 02:54 PM
I'm unsure of the shelf life. I've had my bag for ..... at least 6 months and it still works well. I do know that you must keep it in a sealed container. I just use the Zip Lock Baggy that it came in. It is moist when you recieve it and it is supposed to stay moist. I'm sure if you call or email the guy at Air Water and Ice (walter I think his name is) he can answer all of those questions for you.

tcottle
04/12/2006, 05:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7163588#post7163588 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltyseaman
They are totally worth it.

Quoted for truth. Very happy with my airwaterice DI refill kit

RV8tor
04/12/2006, 05:31 PM
Ditto, its worth it

JazzMann2
04/12/2006, 08:50 PM
Just got my Typhoon III.. And Was wondering how often I need to change any of the filters.. Im a dumba$$ regarding Ro/Di units

Thanks,
Jeff

saltyseaman
04/12/2006, 09:25 PM
That is something that can be difficult to tell without any testing. You should change them when your TDS gets above where you would like it to be. That number is zero for me :) . TDS varies from part to part in the flow of water through your unit. I bought one of these

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=RO1312

I put one meter where the water enters my membrane, after the sediment and two carbon filters. This informs me of when to change my sediment and two carbon filters (I do them all at once). I don't have a concrete answer on what TDS to change them at. I base it mostly on color of the sediment filter, and I haven't had to change it since I got the TDS meter. Does anyone else have any input here?

The second meter I put on my output after the DI chamber. When this TDS reading gets above 0, it's time to change my DI resin.

I almost feel like getting another one of those meters. I would put one meter where water enters the unit, and another where water comes out of the membrane and enters the DI chamber.

LegoZ81
04/14/2006, 08:26 AM
Check ebay ID filterdirect I have purchased everything for my ro/di from them and have been extrememly happy. ben got his stuff from them as well.
I just bought a bag of refill resin (color changing) for 18 bux and a refillible di resin chamber (loaded) for 15 and it was 10.50 to ship which is er 43.50 well that ended up not being as cheap as I had thought.

well might be something to look into. I got the 4 stages of replacement cartridges a second DI Chamber, and a color changing resin refil bag for 76shipped :)

bigevill
04/14/2006, 08:31 AM
I got mine from filter direct as well and I am very happy with it.