PDA

View Full Version : New tank idea help

Lockes
04/11/2006, 08:55 AM
Well I am about to move into my first home, and of course have spent more time planning the new tank than anything else.

Got to choose what I am going to do and need your advice.

Choices:

1. In wall 1.6m tank
2.Tank in garage

The problem and my dilemma is that because of the size of my small living room the tank will be such a focal point that I think it may draw too much attention and will be a bit too dramatic if you know what I mean. Especially if is not looking good for a while or something.

If I convert the garage, tile it and have my tank in there it will be somewhat of a hobby room but nobody will ever see the tank unless they specifically go and see it.

The other problem may be cost. Making a hole in the wall and installing a lintel, plastering and painting versus tiling the garage and painting it and maybe a roof.

In the garage will also be a 12 tank breeding and frag system along with my kitesurfing, surfski, fishing and boating equip.

what u think?

Lockes
04/12/2006, 02:21 AM
bump

jer77
04/12/2006, 05:10 AM
Well making a tank fit into a wall is a hard task. Do you really want to do it? This wouldn't be your first tank would it?

Lockes
04/12/2006, 05:44 AM
It would be my 4th running marine tank and well prob 20th tank overall.

think i will make a fish room then

jer77
04/12/2006, 07:53 AM
If you have experince then you could try to build it in your wall, as long as you know how messy it can get and how to control everything from the other side. You just need to plan everything out. Just think simply and don't over think anything.

REEFERINDC
04/12/2006, 01:19 PM
I vote for tank in the wall .I have a tank in my wall in the basement.I bought the supplies over a period of 4 months and planned it accordingly.It was a little cheaper for me that way .I didn't have to put alot of money up for the tank right away.Planned it exactly how I wanted it, and only had to pay a carpenter to build my wall with a space for my tank.So just labor cost.(I would just pick up 2x4" when I went to Homedepot and saved them until I was ready.)Sorry no camera so no pics but I combined alot of ideas from here on RC.