PDA

View Full Version : LTA questions

gemini aquarius(t)
04/09/2006, 01:53 PM
i just got a nice big heathy long tenticled anenome and a big gsm in my 20 gallon long can i have some more info on them

thanks

dantodd
04/09/2006, 04:00 PM
20gal for a GSM and LTA is on the small side. It's tough to keep the water clean enough and a sandbed deep enough in that tank. The LTA needs about 4-6" of sand to be able to put his foot down. I have an LTA and 2 large clarkii in my 72 and the LTA is thriving on a couple silverside, lancefish (sand eels) or formula 1 cubes. I feed him every couple days. Teh 250W MH is plenty of light for him but I'll seriously consider getting a bigger tank for them. You can probably light a 40 well enough with that light if you don't mind a little fall off on the sides. Then use your 20 as a sump/refugium and I think you'll have a decent system.

Anemones need very careful husbandry and close attention to the water quality. Clowns like to eat ALOT!!!! this is a bad combination for a smaller volume system. also, MY LTA is nearly 12" across so the 20 is a little bit of a problem there too.

gemini aquarius(t)
04/09/2006, 08:26 PM
yeah i just got formula 1 blocks and my tank is barebottom and pcs are over it right now i need to set up the halide(i just moved to san diego) but i was deffinently wanting to up grade to either a 40 GALLON BREEDER or a 120 GALLON TANK but i think i hae to go with the 40 due to money issues

so how much do i feed the clown and anenome

dantodd
04/09/2006, 09:11 PM
My LTA gets either 1-2 silverside or 1 cube of formula 1 every 2-3 days. I think most people are closer to 1-2 times per week.

As to the clownfish. Feed them as much as your tank will handle. They are opportunistic feeders and will pretty much eat constantly. I feed my clowns 3 times a day. 2 small flake meals and one meaty meal. I buy assorted shellfish and fish products and grind it up. Then I put it in jelly bean jello molds to freeze. My clowns get 1 or 2 cubes. The trick is to only put a little in at a time so they can get the food before it falls, they won't eat off the bottom. (at least mine won't)

BTW: my clarkii are breeding adults and mama needs a lot of food to make over 1000 eggs a week.

davocean
04/11/2006, 12:52 AM
Make sure to make pumps/powerheads nem safe.
If he moves a little in that tank, he could get sucked easy.
I'd keep feedings light until you upgrade.
Alot of people say deep sand, mine likes rock.
Mine have been under PC's for 4 years.
Check my gallery, they're pretty healthy.

dantodd
04/11/2006, 11:52 AM
Somehow I missed the fact that your MH aren't set up yet. Be sure to acclimate the anemone to the MH once you add them. Put some screening between the lights and tank and/or keep your photoperiod short for a while.