PDA

View Full Version : question regarding heaters

Unresistible Blue
04/23/2002, 09:01 PM
Seems nearly unanimous - Ebo-Jaeger heaters are the favorites of folks on RC. For my soon to be 200 gal reef, that w/ refug and sump totals about 275 gal, I'm looking for advice re the heaters.

I saw some advice re: 3 to 5 watts per gallon.

The biggest heaters I saw were 250 watts. So do I just put four of them in my sump? Seems odd for some reason. Is there some other approach I should be thinking about considering the no. of gallons I have?

BTW, the cheapest price I found for the 250W Ebo-Jaeger heater was $15.69 at www.aquaricare.org.

Thoughts? Advice?

Macimage
04/23/2002, 09:13 PM
I really would suggest getting one of the new unbreakable titanium heaters. I think putting a glass tube that could break and wipe out your tank is not a very good idea now that we finally have a better option available.

As far as I know there are two companies making the titanium heaters, Via Aqua and Won Brothers (www.wonbrothers.com). Jalli is also supposed to come out with them, but I haven't seen them yet.

Joyce

Macimage
04/23/2002, 09:13 PM
Oop....double post.

Joyce

rbaker
04/23/2002, 09:34 PM
I've been using Ebo-Jager for the past 10 years with zero complaints... However, a couple of months ago I was vacuuming the sump and accidentally broke one of my Ebo's... My GFCI tripped and saved my life... The next morning I ordered a 350 watt, Won Bro's, Titanium heater. I'm very satisfied so far. I'll never own another glass heater.

Ryan

North Bay 101
04/23/2002, 10:21 PM
I have been using EBO for the last 14 years. They work and are very stable. I am using a 250 Watt on a 46 Bow and a 10 gallon sump.

North Bay

eddiem
04/23/2002, 10:44 PM
I used a Visi Therm for about 5 years then one day it exploded :confused: (still don't know what caused it).

I've since gone with a WonPro heat and love it. I would recommend a couple Won Pro 350

Via Aqua and Jalli also make them. Pet Warehouse carries Jalli. Premium Aquatics and Champion Lighting carry Won Pro...not sure who carries Via Aqua.

Hope that helps.

~Eddie

Just Phish
04/23/2002, 11:11 PM
Hmmm, I think I would go with the ebos myself. Or, though I have had a horrible experience with the company, one of the fireplug heaters. Terrible, terrible experience with the company though.

HTH

iluvhennessy
04/24/2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Unresistible Blue
Seems nearly unanimous - Ebo-Jaeger heaters are the favorites of folks on RC. For my soon to be 200 gal reef, that w/ refug and sump totals about 275 gal, I'm looking for advice re the heaters.

I saw some advice re: 3 to 5 watts per gallon.

The biggest heaters I saw were 250 watts. So do I just put four of them in my sump? Seems odd for some reason. Is there some other approach I should be thinking about considering the no. of gallons I have?

BTW, the cheapest price I found for the 250W Ebo-Jaeger heater was $15.69 at www.aquaricare.org.

Thoughts? Advice?

This website isn't valid. Can you re-post the correct one? THanks.

dnjan
04/24/2002, 01:07 PM
Concerning using multiple heaters - that is what you want to do (instead on one larger heater). That way if the thermostat in one heater malfunctions, you don't have that much of a temperature swing.

I would plug all of the heaters into their own power strip (or outlet box with a switch). That way you can easily turn them all off at once for sump cleaning, etc. (it isn't nice to forget to unplug a heater in the sump when you drain the sump for cleaning, water change, etc.)

AuroraDave
04/24/2002, 01:34 PM
2 things:
I prefer plugging each of the 2 heaters into different outlets. Adding redundancy to the outlet/GFCI as well. If I blow a circuit on vacation, I want a heater, fan and pump to be running still.

#2) Please continue with the Won feedback !!!
I was looking into those and read a LOT of negative feedback on RC. Do a search. I have been using Ebo for over 10years without a single problem
knock knock

Just Phish
04/24/2002, 02:07 PM
Yeah I haven't heard too many good things about the Won heaters. I had a buddy who bought one and it was stuck in the on position right out of the box.

Agu
04/24/2002, 03:13 PM
I just got a Won Brothers titanium last month. I like the external temp adjustment and on/off light, pleased to know I don't have to worry about breaking it, and it's 2/3 the size of the EJ next to it. Since swapping out one of the two EJ's for a won my temp only fluctuates about 1.5 degrees instead of the three degrees prior to the swap. I understand the Won doesn't have to cycle on and off like glass heaters, but I'm not sure about this, which provides more even heating.

Any time I get a new heater I calibrate it by using it in a 5 gallon bucket of water and checking temp with two thermometers. The Won was off by about two degrees, pretty close compared to some heaters I've had.

ime,fwiw,bni,
Agu

jcm1229
04/24/2002, 04:04 PM
For Won users, the thermostat stays outside the tank and only the tube goes in or is the thermostat and the tube go in the tank??

ahhdui
04/24/2002, 04:57 PM
i also had a recent post debating between the WON and EBO heaters. After searching thru many post, I found that both heaters have issues with turn off. Glass heaters always have a chance to break in main thank if you're not careful even if it's not your fault (DSB = LR tilt = smashed heater). After a while I decided to order the WON titanium heater. It was on sale for 24.95 last week at PA.

--Tony

Macimage
04/24/2002, 05:04 PM
For those that are using the AquaController with the X-10 modules, you can plug in your heater and put a Maximum statement in the program that will turn off the electricity to the outlet. That way, even if the heater fails and stays on, after a certain temperature, there will be no power to the heater.

Joyce

Unresistible Blue
04/24/2002, 07:10 PM
iluvhennessy -
here's the web site - I had an extra period in my original post.

www.aquaricare.org

Folks - what's your recommendation for no. of watts per gallon?

mastaJ
04/24/2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Unresistible Blue
Folks - what's your recommendation for no. of watts per gallon?
3 WPG if in a warm room.
5 WPG if in a room with flucuating temps.

I think that the "3-5 WPG" rule applies well. I always go on the high side. I also vote for the Ebo.

Unresistible Blue
04/24/2002, 07:41 PM
The won bros web site doesn't seem to be working right...

Makes sense that running multiple heaters will help out if one of the heaters craps out in the off position - how do you protect your system from a heater sticking in the on position?

dnjan
04/25/2002, 11:16 AM
I run two 200w heaters on my 100g tank. I don't think that one of them sticking "on" would cause a problem. Together the two heaters are able to keep the tank at 79F overnight (house is set at 62F overnight). I just don't think that one of them, by themselves, could cause a problem.