PDA

View Full Version : gate valve vs ball valve

shawn1965
03/31/2006, 07:59 AM
Been reading a lot of threads about durso standpipes and plumbing to the sump. I am currently using ball valves in the plumbing. Several thread talked about replacing the ball valves and adding a gate valve. Nobody said why we should do that. What does a gate valve do that a ball valve doesnot or what does a ballvalve do that a gate valve doesnot. I am heading to work and thank all who answer. :confused:

DrBDC
03/31/2006, 09:02 AM
Ball valves are good for general on/off situations. They can be used as well for non-exact restriction of flow i.e. main pump etc. The gate valves are used more for situations like skimmer adjustment where a very tiny amount of change in flow is needed. I've even run diy cc skimmers with ball valves for adjustment but the problem is that as they get a month or two old it gets hard to make a tiny change and you tend to "jump" too much when trying to turn it a very tiny amount.

infrared69
03/31/2006, 11:08 AM
gate valves themselves, even wide open restrict flow. a full port ball valve when wide open is no different then a straight pipe. and like stated above, for on/off applications bal valves are hands down the best choice, but when tweaking is necessary, gate valves are the way to go. the threaded valve stem makes it very easy to make sensitive minute changes.

Melnick
03/31/2006, 11:38 AM
I don't mean to hijack your thread but does anybody know where to get 1 inch gate valves? The biggest all plastic gate valves available at Lowes/HD is 3/4''.

DrBDC
03/31/2006, 12:14 PM
Those at Lowe's are probably stop waste valves which are different. savko would probably be a good place to look.

bureau13
03/31/2006, 04:37 PM
I just ordered some from Aquatic Ecosystems. The web site fooled me at first, because the gate valve category says 3/4" or something like that...however, once you go in there you can get any size you're likely to need.

jds