PDA

View Full Version : AquaClear 100GPH 5-20 gal hang on

Codeman00
03/29/2006, 11:45 PM
I just bought an AquaClear 100GPH 5-20 gal hang on filter pump. After runing it for a few days it seems to have a loud rattling sound to it which is annoying. Is this normal or are they suppose to be ultra quiet?

highland135
03/30/2006, 12:24 AM
I have an aquaclear 110 and it is very quiet..

Codeman00
03/30/2006, 12:25 AM
It might have sucked up a rock into it. I tried to clean it out..but still the noise is there.

fishfreak2407
03/30/2006, 10:17 AM
sometimes you have to fiddle with the impeller, just kinda knock it around with your finger while it is running. it works for me.and sometimes with your ac you will have to do the same thing to the to the impeller to get it to start back up after cleaning. I know this sounds like a pain but its worth it aqua clears are great!you will get the hang of it just mess with it and it will quite down

and sometimes its the lid so just mess with it ....good luck

Codeman00
03/30/2006, 11:48 AM
Its definitely not the lid..its the pump. I'll try to mess with it some more and I'll let you know.

Codeman00
03/30/2006, 08:50 PM
Well, I tried to mess with the impeller while it was running...I even took removed the pump, then the impeller and made sure everything was clean. Still, it rattles and it's coming from the pump...One thing I notice is that its resonating even more when the lid is on which makes it more noisy.

So I went to petsmart and bought another one tonight. I hooked it up to the tank and it sounds exactly the same. I tried to mess with the impeller again and then the lid..same ol same ol. The chances of me getting two of these that are noisy are extremely remote I would think. Are you guys sure that yours is completely silent?

louist
03/31/2006, 06:21 AM
Sometimes they are noisy to start with, if you let it run for a night, they quiten down to what you normally expect. I have the AC50, and sometimes after a massive clean, it will rattle a bit, but it always runs in and stays quiet.

Codeman00
03/31/2006, 07:58 AM
I found a couple of threads on nano-reef.com last night talking about this issue with the Aquaclear 20s. At least I know now that its not just me that's having this problem.
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72888&hl=

KafudaFish
03/31/2006, 08:57 AM
I have run AC's on fw for years and every now and then they act up. One solution that has worked is putting a paper towel, bubble wrap, etc between the filter and the tank. I think some of the noise comes from the pump touching the tank and vibrating making the lid even louder. Hope that helped.