PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy this tank??

Starrhm
03/29/2006, 02:01 PM
I am looking to set up a Nano tank. I want the capabiltiy to keep any type of corals and clams in it without having to do a bunch of upgrades later. What do you think of this tank? Is it too pricy for what you get?? I am not very good at the DIY stuff however I can us a screwdriver if need be! I just want to get off to a good start.

This is the tank I am looking at:
http://www.nanocustoms.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=112

I think I would rather have a 24 gallon, but I can't find any complete systems with good lighting and an enclosed hood.

I have to have an enclosed canopy because I have two very curious cats that have already nocked the top off and crawled in our turle tank. The turtle managed to escape his claws but I don't want to take any chances with my new reef :)

Thanks for your help!

floridareefs
03/29/2006, 02:09 PM
personally, I would go with a 24g aquapod, through a 70w or 15w halide, for cheaper than what you listed there. More water, means less changes etc.

Starrhm
03/29/2006, 02:53 PM
I like the idea of having a bigger tank for cheaper, means I'll have more $$ for stuff in it too:) But the aquapod with halide is an open top and it's only 70w is that enough? What would I do to keep a very smart cat out of an open top?

FishWife1
03/29/2006, 03:01 PM
I would go with the 24, too. I love my 12 gal Nano but it sure did fill up fast. A large part of my enjoyment is actually in the creating so once it's done, I'm ready to move on to the next.

Bad, bad obsession! :)

Laurie

ycrazyy
03/29/2006, 03:30 PM
I'd go with a 24g and mod it yourself to put more light in. I have a JBJ 24g that I just ordered a 70w MH retro (from aquabuys) and I think that 72w of PC and a 70w MH should be sufficient lighting to do most anything you want in there. You can check out the possibilities by looking at this thread by energy_crisis: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=801329
It's pretty incredible what he crammed in there and the equipment probably cost around $200 or so.

CaptNemo
03/29/2006, 06:17 PM
i don't think its worth the money.....

Beerven1577
03/30/2006, 02:44 AM
This old man at my LFS who has been in the business for a long time said for my not to buy a JBJ because of their bad products. He said they have changed their names numerous times. I just couldn't see you dropping $450 on a tank like that, you could build your own set up with better parts.

Starrhm
03/30/2006, 12:57 PM
So what do you guys think of this tank...

http://nanotuners.nanocustoms.com/nanotuners/product_info.php?cPath=23_53&products_id=155

Or the aquapod w/ 150w HQI for $419?

I think I like the aquapod better, it looks nicer, its bigger and it's glass. It would be harder to scratch.

I guess i could put a piece of glass of something on top of the tank to keep out the cats. I would have to find some way to mount it on there so they can't push it off!

I know I can probably do it myself for alot less, but like I said I'm not too handy with tools!

Decisions, Decisions...

flameangel88
03/30/2006, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7075390#post7075390 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Starrhm
[B]So what do you guys think of this tank...

http://nanotuners.nanocustoms.com/nanotuners/product_info.php?cPath=23_53&products_id=155

Or the aquapod w/ 150w HQI for $419?

I think I like the aquapod better, it looks nicer, its bigger and it's glass. It would be harder to scratch.

I saw the Finnex M Tank - 20g yesterday online and like it very much as I don't need to add anything else and the price $269.95 seem reasonable. If it wasn't room issue I would put this one in my bedroom.

Starrhm
03/31/2006, 12:09 PM
Now I am confused. I think the Finnex tank is actually $269.95 without the halides. If you choose the halide option its another $200. Maybe I will call and double check, its really confusing the way the page shows.

Hobster
03/31/2006, 12:58 PM
[QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7075390#post7075390 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Starrhm
[B]So what do you guys think of this tank...

I guess i could put a piece of glass of something on top of the tank to keep out the cats. I would have to find some way to mount it on there so they can't push it off!

That might not be a good idea. If you enclose the tank with a piece of glass, with all the lighting you want, it will turn into a fish/coral cooker.

Maybe decide exactly what corals you want to keep first to determine the amount of lighting you will need.

raynist
03/31/2006, 01:48 PM
I have the Current 24g Aquapod with 70w HQI, it comes with a fitted glass top. I paid $299 for it.

Starrhm
03/31/2006, 02:33 PM
Raynist -
Where did you find the Aquapod 24 for $299? Do you think that 70w HQi is suffient for clams and SPS? Does it get hot with the glass on?

flameangel88
03/31/2006, 03:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7083319#post7083319 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Starrhm
Raynist -
Where did you find the Aquapod 24 for $299? Do you think that 70w HQi is suffient for clams and SPS? Does it get hot with the glass on?

Both petsolutions.com and thatpetplace.com had them for $299 for a while (I got mine from thatpetplace.com and the stand from petsolutions.com because one place had the tank and not the stand in stock and vice-versa).

Just checked:
petsolution is back-ordered and thatpetplace is $349.
If you can hold off then wait for petsolutions.

spf9992001
03/31/2006, 03:19 PM
It all depends on the "look" you want. There are lots of folks who want to keep the stock look of the nanocube. If you are looking for a tricked out, stock looking cube then nanocustoms is the best in the business. I have done business with them and their customer service is second to none.

FishWife1
03/31/2006, 03:45 PM
Check on NanoCustoms "spares" page and see if they have any of the tanks only for sale. I saw some a while back and the prices were good. You could then hang a pendant or whatever you wanted over it, add a beefier pump and you've got your 24.

I just dealt with NanoCustoms to get a light and they were great.

Laurie

raynist
04/01/2006, 09:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7083319#post7083319 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Starrhm
Raynist -

I picked it up at that pet place.

I think Saltycritter.com has them for that place also.

I have heard they you can keep a clam in there. I haven't set it up yet though.

The glass gets warm but not hot.

--Ray

outrigger
04/03/2006, 02:22 AM
i'd go 24G open top with metal halide if you want that much. If you get the custom stand, your cat wont be able to jump up on top since there isnt much else to stand on. Unless you think you cat will jump inside...hehe.

Starrhm
04/06/2006, 11:26 AM
Well thanks for the input everybody. I think I am going to wait. I really want the 24G w/ 150w MH but I think that I will need some type of chiller for that, which means more $$! As my home in the summer reaches around 100 or so during the daytime. Maybe in a month or two Oceanic will have their nano out or the prices will come down. In the meantime I will continue to learn more about the hobby.