PDA

View Full Version : HOw long do I have to run my sump everyday?

noapollono
03/29/2006, 07:29 AM
I just upgraded to a 75gal Reef Ready tank with a 29 gal Sump. It looks so amazing I put it in my room not thinking about the constant noise it puts out. Must it run 24/7 or can I have it off while I sleep form 2am to 9-10am? If I still ran my skimmer and powerheads would this adversly effect my tank?

MiddletonMark
03/29/2006, 07:40 AM
I find my skimmer is louder than the sump, though I've grown used to the quiet trickling noise from the overflow.

How do you have yours set up?
Perhaps it could be a lot quieter?

How are you running your pump [to go back to tank] ... is it internal/external, do you run `hard' PVC or spaflex/hose, where does the sound appear to come from?

Vibration can make a ton of noise - and there are some things to try to reduce that - often that can be cut to a bare minimum.

---
Why run a sump 24/7?
To my thinking - there's a few reasons:

My heater's in the sump. If I cut the sump pump, within a few hours the tank's temp will start dropping. To me, this is most important of the reasons.
My skimmer is in the sump, and my fish poop 24/7.
It's a lot easier to top-off freshwater to a line in the sump than on the much larger tank - and IMO you'll have less swings in the water parameters if they're constantly circulating.
Dunno if it's true, but have always heard that overflow systems help oxygenate the water ... but that might be taken care of already.

IMO, if possible, keep it running all the time. But ... that doesn't mean it should make a racket.
For a tank that size, you shouldn't have to run a pump that gives off anything more than a faint hum - and the only other noise would be a quiet trickle of water going over the overflow.

Got a pic of your sump setup?

weaver5
03/29/2006, 07:42 AM
I run mine all day everyday.I can relate to the noise.Is it more the noise coming from the overflow box? If it is I had good luck cutting to fit a piece of plexiglass to fit tight over the top of the overflow box and keeps the noise down alot.Good luck Scott

lvpd186
03/29/2006, 07:54 AM
I agree with the prior posts. Its better to track down the source of the noise then risk shutting down your sump everyday. There are allot of ways to quiet down a tank, but first you have to know what is causing the noise.

Cutiewitbooty
03/29/2006, 08:43 AM
hmmm mine is really quite, doesn't put out any noise actually, the return pump puts out a small hum though. Maybe it's your overflow?

tehon3299
03/29/2006, 08:58 AM
My ASM G3 Skimmer is creating a lot of noise from the water coming out of the tube and splashing down. Could this be your problem? And I'd be interested in how to fix this...

6stang9
03/29/2006, 09:37 AM
hey amber what kind of return pump do you have that hums? i have to buy one and i dont want a noisey one. i was thinking of going with a mag9.5 ?

Cutiewitbooty
03/29/2006, 09:46 AM
i have a dophin pump

http://www.dolphinpumps.com/

I like it, but i want to upgrade to a larger pump with more GPH, probally mag7. The dolphin one i have does 380GPH

doox00
03/29/2006, 10:48 AM
my mag 9.5 is extremely quiet, happy with it.

ChunksInClemson
03/29/2006, 11:40 AM
I also have a Mag 9.5 and Its the quietest thing in my sump! I love it so I would have to suggest it to ya.

tehon3299
03/29/2006, 11:41 AM
Yeah, my Mag 7 is very quiet also. The skimmer makes most of the noise from the water splashing and any other noise is vibration from PVC and the such.

hokiefish
03/29/2006, 12:02 PM
Tehon
You should put a gate valve mod onto your outlet like the one shown at http://www.asmskimmer.com/mod1.htm

6stang9
03/29/2006, 12:28 PM
thanks for the good replies on the 9.5 pump i am definatly going to buy one .you said your skimmer is loud? i was thinking of buying a css 220 to go in my 20g long sump. does anyone have any comments about how loud, or not, they are?

mg426
03/29/2006, 12:40 PM
I have two Mag 9.5 one in the sump and one on a closed loop. Cant even hear them. My light fans are more noisey than the pumps.

Ti
03/29/2006, 12:40 PM
Try Eheim

MiddletonMark
03/29/2006, 12:44 PM
I've got Mags, Little Giants, Pan Worlds ... they're all pretty quiet.

How do you have it plumbed?