PDA

View Full Version : Used Flatworm Exit!

FishWife1
03/28/2006, 02:20 PM
Wow, was I nervous. But it looks like everything survived. The only things that look a little unhappy are my Coco Worm and Featherduster. They're both worms though, so I guess that makes sense. They're both in their tubes but are easing out a little at a time.

I am running carbon and I did a 20% water change. I can do another if I need to.

Everybody says there are always more flatworms than you think. That's for sure. I guess I was seeing maybe 20-30 on the glass substrate. I know I netted and syphoned 100-200. Some are so small that once you suck them up they are smaller than the point of a needle. I have all the water in a white container so you can really see them and some are still moving around.

I hope I don't have to do this again but at least if I do, I know it can be done safely.

Whew!

Laurie

Brandon's Reef
03/31/2006, 12:27 AM
I was afraid to use it until we did it some in the shop. def. would not experiment on my own tank glad it worked out for you.

smy168
03/31/2006, 01:15 AM
isn't there a shrimp or fish that can help control flatworms?

FishWife1
03/31/2006, 09:49 AM
They're back just as bad:( after only a few days. Guess it just didn't get them all. I'm too nervous to use it again any time soon.

I've heard 6-line Wrasse MIGHT eat them. I don't know of anything else.

anybody?

Laurie

Jim Z.
03/31/2006, 12:30 PM
I ended purchasing the three least liked rogues (flatworms, montipora eating nudibranchs, and red bugs) of reef-keeping from a local pet shop (I'm so tempted to let out their name subliminally :mad2: ). I initially used a yellow damsel and 90 percent were gone after 2 weeks. A 6-lined wrasse has finished the job and I have not seen any for the last 4 months. Dick Perrin of Tropicorium has eliminated flatworms with green chromis damsels. Predators can work, but it does take time.....Jim Z.

YodaHart
03/31/2006, 02:01 PM
You can also try a yellow wrasse aka Banana wrasse. Mine kept the flatworms away until the fish mysteriously disappeared.

FishWife1
03/31/2006, 03:40 PM
I think I'm gonna try a 6-line. I hate to add another fish to the tank but the 2 I have are small, Yellow Watchman and Twin Spot Gobies and stay on or near the sandbed. I'll just have to keep a closer eye on my parameters. Adding another small fish is better, IMO, than risking skanking my tank again. The only thing that had a problem is my Coco worm - it dropped its heads. It's still alive in its tube and I am hoping it will re-grow new heads.

I've had plenty of other nuisance stuff in my tanks but never flatworms. I guess I was just lucky for a long time.

Thanks for the advice.

Laurie

Jim Z.
03/31/2006, 07:37 PM
Waqter changes will help keep your water parameters close to ideal. For a 12 gallon tank, things might get a little chippy with a 6-lined wrasse. Try to get as small of one as possible as they can be a bit feisty like most other wrasses. Also, try to siphon off any waste material trapped on the surface of your live rock--flatworms tend to do better in more nutrient enriched systems. Good luck with your attack against the flatworms....Jim Z.

FishWife1
03/31/2006, 07:46 PM
Thanks Jim - Yeah I had a 6 line years ago. They make me nervous the way they dash around but they are kinda cute. The one I had before jumped. I have a nanocube this time so that won't happen.

I do weekly water changes 20% and have some nice chaeto growing. My sandbed and rocks are teeming with life. My rocks are pretty clean of detritus and my nitrates are <5. I think I can keep my params good as long as I keep a watch on it.

Thanks - Laurie

Jim Z.
04/01/2006, 12:54 PM
Laurie--

Sounds like you tank is doing well. Sometimes flatworms just burn themselves out and feed the tank lightly so the wrasse will be inclined to go for the filet of flatworm. One or two flatworms are not a big deal and they only become problematic when population numbers are high.....Jim Z.