PDA

View Full Version : chilling a 5.5

cowboy99
03/27/2006, 12:10 AM
Ok so i have a 5.5 gallon that I am hoping to turn into a temperate tank. For about 3/4 of the year the temperature of the air is around 60-70 degrees but in the summer it gets from 80 to 100(ocassionally). I want to keep my tank around 70 degrees. So what would be the ideal chiller for my setup?

WarEagleNR88
03/27/2006, 01:12 AM
Your question depends on many things. Here are a few right off the top of my head and I'll address my thoughts and give ideas.

1. How high are the lights above the surface of the water?
2. Is the canopy well ventilated?
3. What type of lighting is being used?

I've found that the closer the light is to the water, the more problems you'll always have with heat when the temps increase. This is especially true with power compacts and even worse metal halides.

I'd recommend raising the lights, providing space around the "reflector" for ventilation and if possible placing a small sheet of glass directly underneath the light covering approx. half the surface area of the top of the tank.

Then if all of those things are being used and still not keeping the temps down, try placing a small computer fan pointed directly at the bulbs, not the water. Then if that doesn't work, or it makes too much noise, or it evaps too much water indirectly--because you pointed the fan at the bulbs right?--then try for a chiller. They're mad expensive.

Another thing to consider would be to run your lights on a reverse lighting schedule ie, when it's night your lights are on and during the day when the room temp is the highest, keep the lights off. This is an excellent way to maintain good tank temps.

03/27/2006, 08:35 AM
For my 5.5 nano I was having real bad temp problems with the temp around 85* because of my lights, stuck a 2" computer fan on the back blowing into one side and it brought the temp down to 73* which was room temperature. The lights are 2 x 32w PC's about 3" off of the water

fella1320
03/27/2006, 08:49 AM
the nano ice probes are not too expensive i think it would be around $200 for the chiller and controller so if all else fails that is probably your best option. good luck