PDA

View Full Version : Is one 900gph maxijet enough in the 12g cube? Would two be overkill?

Newreeflady
03/26/2006, 08:57 PM
You know, nevermind. Sorry, I don't know what i'm thinking. I think I am just addicted to mods, lol! I think it'll be fine with the one pump, but if anyone has different experience, pls post.

thx,
-A

Newreeflady
03/26/2006, 09:01 PM
Or, maybe I should just split the return from the one pump?

Ok, just tell me how your flow is, a lot of dead spots or no?

thx,
-A

Lakeside518
03/26/2006, 09:30 PM
Many have split the return from the pump. Several have done that mod & used a maxi-jet 1200 w/ modular fittings & pipe

Newreeflady
03/26/2006, 09:32 PM
Hmm, then what'll I do with the two mj900s I have? One is new, I may be able to return it or exchange it. Has this given better results? Are there a lot of dead areas with the one mj900?

-A

Lakeside518
03/26/2006, 10:06 PM
I run 1-mj900 for my return and i kinda have to say yes there seems to be a dead spot.

If i set the return outlet for surface agitation it erodes my sand along the front of the glass creating a bare spot and a sand bar. So i deflect the water more towards the LR now.

I'm considering trying the http://www.petsolutions.com/Flo+Rotating+Water+Deflector-I-41400047-I-C-1042-C-.aspx

Or doing a Dual outlet setup to direct more flow towards the left side of the tank if looking from the front. I could add another powerhead but would be unsightly in my opinion in a 12 gal tank

Kris

spf9992001
03/26/2006, 11:42 PM
Some folks will put the dual pumps on a wave timer. With this setup, you can pretty much eliminate dead spots and still not blast your critters all over the tank.

Newreeflady
03/27/2006, 06:30 PM
Hmm. Well, I am going to go ahead and drill a second hold into the plastic divider probably more toward the top center. I think at first i'll just split the used 900 I have while I decide whether to upgrade to a 1200 or to use two pumps. I will probably want to wait until I see how hot the halide gets before I make a decision. I have the second 900, but I think running both may be too much flow and maybe too hot. I have also considered setting a timer and having it come on once a day or so (i'll have to read up on that.)

I could always get a weaker second pump, too, and run the 900 on the hydorflo from the main output and run a second pump with a fixed flow or a second hydor flo (I have two.)

So many options! I'll just go ahead and drill the second hole and make the call later as to what the pump needs are, after I see how it goes with the 900.

Thanks!
-A

spf9992001
03/27/2006, 09:21 PM
What kind of halide are you putting in the cube? Are you planning to modify the stock hood, taking it off?

bil2k
03/27/2006, 09:31 PM
If we did want to divert flow from one pump into two jets using loc-line what size fittings would we need?

Newreeflady
03/28/2006, 12:23 AM
I'm still weighing the options with the halide, but probably looking at a clamp-on due to heating issues with the stock hood.

As far as the loc-line goes, you should be able to measure what you need yourself, you can pm to marybebo on here, I believe she used the loc-line. It looks to me like their measurements are I.D. so you'll want to check the O.D. of your output to decide what you'd need I guess. I think mary said that whoever she bought from actually put them together, eliminating the need for pliers. You might want to check out her thread.

I myself would prefer to drill a second hole and split off the pump in the back using a Y, that way the two returns are less visible than with the loc-line. But, if your tank is already full, i'd look into the loc-line for sure, or if you have a 24g maybe. Only because on the 12g two seperate returns from the back wall will probably be effective in creating enough flow around the tank, but the 24g is larger, so you might want to move the loc-lines around to find a good flow.

Home Depot is useless! I didn't find any barbed fittings at all, all I came home with were some buckets, tubing and epoxy. Still need a slip fitting, a Y split and some aquarium silicon. *sigh*.

-A

Newreeflady
03/28/2006, 12:37 AM
So, looks like the MJ900 pumps 230gph while the MJ1200 only 295, not much more, and runs at more than twice the wattage (and a lot hotter so i'm told.)

Now, a second, smaller pump, may be an option, or even running two MJ900's is actually less wattage, and more gph, than running one 1200.

Something to consider...

-A

Newreeflady
04/01/2006, 05:37 PM
Well, I just wanted to update this thread to say that TWO MJ900's seem just PERFECT for this little tank.

First, I drilled a second hole toward the bottom of the second column in the back and I mounted some makeshift irrigation fittings to hold the maxijet flow diverter. I tried running one pump split to both, but it was VERY weak. I then checked the flow with just the one 900 from the stock output fitting with a hydorflo and it was still not really all that much, imo, but would be o.k. for a non-sps tank (with no gorgs and such, either.) I then hooked up the second pump to my second output and diverted the flow upward and outward, and it is great! Not too much, not too little. I have one steady flow and one hydor and I think it will work well. I think most species would benefit from the added flow and the algae will be easier to keep in check as well with less dead spots. The temperature seems pretty stable at 79.5 degrees. I just turned the heater down, so we'll find out tomorrow if the temperature drops a little and that should answer the question as to whether the two pumps cause heat issues.

I will be getting some rock tomorrow and my 70w JBJ viper lamp on Monday so i'll post pictures in my other thread then:)

-A